Scouting the Panthers: an inside edge on how to beat our ass

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Nice post Philly b. It should be an interesting match up. Both teams are different from where they were at 2 months ago. Against the Panthers in October, the Seahawks were at the lowest point in the season. They were reeling from a 2 game losing streak and a bad showing against the Rams. They struggled to put points against the Panthers then eeking out a 13-9 defensive win. They were without Bobby Wagner that game. He is back and his presence as well as a few other guys getting healthy has contributed to the Seahawks resurgence.

Largent80

Reaction score
I appreciate all your writing so far Philly, and as others have said, both teams wouldn't be where they are without turning around the play of October. We basically went 3-3 through the early part of the season trying to find an identity and get some key players back.

After that stretch we went 9 - 1 and as Kearly said, against pretty good defenses. We broke the Cardinals after the first time we played them, their defense (which was their strength) was a shell of itself after the first loss.

Any team is capable of winning, especially with the officiating being dreadful. Did you see the refs blow the Dallas game?

Anyway, here's to a good game.

googoodan

Reaction score
hoxrox":3mocpg8d said:
Stewart and Newton running, with some zone read plays will be your best shot at keeping the game close. Protect the football, and hope Stewart can break a few tackles - Jamal Charles style - and you guys have a chance.

However, if your o-line gets into false start situations due to the crowd noise, and Newton starts throwing picks, it's game over.

Left Tackle Byron Bell false starts during home games, so I kinda dread what will happen on Saturday.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
SupersonicSeahawkz":362661ln said:
Hey hawk peppa. Sorry if you felt that way. I was reading what they have been saying on carolina huddle and the OP openly says that he is talking all sweet and buddy buddy so that if they win he can rub it in our faces or like he said "next week he will be farting on our woman," a guy even asked why he is being 2 faced about this and he jokingly responded that way. I don't take kindly to guys farting on my woman. :141847_bnono: :mrgreen:

That sounds like the PhillyB I am familiar with. Been banned from more automotive forums than I care to count and wears the bans like a badge of honor. Look up "PhillyB Hates Me" if you are curious about more information. If a dirtbag giving you the middle finger would cause you issues at work, then his page is NSFW. On his forum (linked from the main page) there are some high quality threads like "Take a picture of your poo and post it". If it is the same guy, he is a prig who love stirring up drama.

Panther Jase

Reaction score
In carolina, farting on your bro's woman is a sign of trust and friendship.

googoodan

Reaction score
Bitter":3o4dp4vv said:
SupersonicSeahawkz":3o4dp4vv said:
Hey hawk peppa. Sorry if you felt that way. I was reading what they have been saying on carolina huddle and the OP openly says that he is talking all sweet and buddy buddy so that if they win he can rub it in our faces or like he said "next week he will be farting on our woman," a guy even asked why he is being 2 faced about this and he jokingly responded that way. I don't take kindly to guys farting on my woman. :141847_bnono: :mrgreen:

That sounds like the PhillyB I am familiar with. Been banned from more automotive forums than I care to count and wears the bans like a badge of honor. Look up "PhillyB Hates Me" if you are curious about more information. If a dirtbag giving you the middle finger would cause you issues at work, then his page is NSFW. On his forum (linked from the main page) there are some high quality threads like "Take a picture of your poo and post it". If it is the same guy, he is a prig who love stirring up drama.

this guy https://twitter.com/phillybhatesme is not the same as phillyb on the carolina huddle. the only similarity is the unkempt beard.

Faust

Reaction score
Nice post. I think if you appreciate you squeaked by against an anemic Cardinal offense and a defense that collapsed due to the pressure of having to cover for the anemic offense. Then you probably can appreciate why your term is being over looked. In this league any given Sunday is true but odds are not in the favor of the Panthers. Good luck and classy post.

panthers4life

Reaction score
Faust":3amob3tk said:
Nice post. I think if you appreciate you squeaked by against an anemic Cardinal offense and a defense that collapsed due to the pressure of having to cover for the anemic offense. Then you probably can appreciate why your term is being over looked. In this league any given Sunday is true but odds are not in the favor of the Panthers. Good luck and classy post.

This is an interesting take. Let's look a little closer than just the score.

First Downs - Carolina 25 Arizona 8
Yards - Carolina 386 Arizona 76
T.O.P - Carolina 37 mins Arizona 23
Sacks - Carolina 4 Arizona 1
Rushing - Carolina 188 Arizona 27

This is obviously a dominant performance in every area of the game, and then you add this metric.

Turnovers - Carolina 3 Arizona 3

....and you have a score that's closer than the game ever was.

Final Notes
You're post is the exact reason Carolina cannot be dismissed this Saturday. A team can dominate just as the Panthers did against Arizona and still find themselves in a contest. The Seahawks were quite loose with the ball against St. Louis the last time they played.

One other note, the safety at the end of the game was intentional and shouldn't even be considered when evaluating the score.

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
SupersonicSeahawkz":so2z5ja5 said:

It is cool for him to write this up and let us know what was up with Carolina when we played last, but nothing i wrote isn't true.

I believe that the 3 games in Carolina have nothing to do with this game because it isn't about how we played there. It's about how they will deal with us when they play on our terms.

If they are the hoosiers and step into the Clink and beat us, then cool I'll eat my crow, but like all the QB before, when they come to the Clink for the 1st time they usually go home shaking their heads with an L.

48 posts, member since september 2013. lol that tells you all you need to know. the only woman i'll be farting on is yours, if you have one. bandwagoners are the blight of professional sports and they are disproportionately loud.

as for the rest of you fine and upstanding gentleman… i have nothing but respect for the seahawks franchise and if you take us out i'll be pulled for you the rest of the way through the NFC. i grew up in colorado so i'll be pulling for a denver-seattle rematch and hoping the broncos get revenge, but if not i can live with back-to-back seahawks champs.

any word on y'alls injury report? you've had two weeks to get healthy so i'm guessing everyone will play.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight and very much appreciated. As they have typed into the board, both teams are way different than prior. That being said, I do have a couple of caveats. I went to 2 games this year. San Diego and Arizona at both. We had a showing of fans at both that was pretty decent. A decent portion in San Diego was Sea Fans and we whooped and hollered it up as much as us sweat drenched sweathogs could do and muster. In Arizona....I heard their crowd and our crowd and was not too impressed with their crowd. If you go to the LINK, wear earplugs...you will need them. I did not need them in either SD or ARi. That plus the fact that the synergy from the fans is extrapolated to the team and there you have a formula for winning. In Arizona, I only saw the players promo the fan base (US) one time...because we brought it all game. That is something that can not be explained....but can be felt.
As has been promoted by the Panther fans and Seahawks fans...hope for a great game and no injuries.
Go Hawks.

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
Panther Jase":22shmm3c said:
nice to see philly is capable of wall-o-texts on boards other than carolinahuddle.com

oh hey. i didn't recognize you without the pie

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
phillyb":2v94le14 said:
SupersonicSeahawkz":2v94le14 said:

It is cool for him to write this up and let us know what was up with Carolina when we played last, but nothing i wrote isn't true.

I believe that the 3 games in Carolina have nothing to do with this game because it isn't about how we played there. It's about how they will deal with us when they play on our terms.

If they are the hoosiers and step into the Clink and beat us, then cool I'll eat my crow, but like all the QB before, when they come to the Clink for the 1st time they usually go home shaking their heads with an L.

48 posts, member since september 2013. lol that tells you all you need to know. the only woman i'll be farting on is yours, if you have one. bandwagoners are the blight of professional sports and they are disproportionately loud.

as for the rest of you fine and upstanding gentleman… i have nothing but respect for the seahawks franchise and if you take us out i'll be pulled for you the rest of the way through the NFC. i grew up in colorado so i'll be pulling for a denver-seattle rematch and hoping the broncos get revenge, but if not i can live with back-to-back seahawks champs.

any word on y'alls injury report? you've had two weeks to get healthy so i'm guessing everyone will play.

Injury report usually out on Wednesday. I think only one of our may be out. Not sure tho.

sutz

Reaction score
Our starting running back is no longer DeAngelo Williams. Old, ineffective, and widely considered a derisive lockeroom figure, he's been supplanted by Jonathan Stewart, who, finally healthy, has averaged almost 100ypc during the past five games.
OK, we're screwed. If you have a running back averaging 100 yards per carry, I'm ready to concede now. :laugh:

Sorry, had to go there. :) Nice write up and I appreciate the effort. I almost TL/DR'd it, but I'm glad I read it. Good info about your team.

About us? Well, I don't think I've seen an NFL team that more embodies the spirit of the old line that all teams like to use: If we play Seahawks football, your guys don't have a chance. Not to be flippant, but your 'how to beat the Panthers' reads a lot like our standard gameplan, to which we add minor tweaks to handle the current opponent. As for the 'not the team we beat then' comment, well, yeah. Most teams only look at the last 4-5 games of film on upcoming opponents anyway.

The way I like to put it is: The Seahawks fear nobody, but respect everybody. I don't recall many teams in my over 40 years of watching football that seem better prepared on a week-to-week basis than our guys. They'll be ready. Book it.

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
sutz":m0dz20gt said:
Our starting running back is no longer DeAngelo Williams. Old, ineffective, and widely considered a derisive lockeroom figure, he's been supplanted by Jonathan Stewart, who, finally healthy, has averaged almost 100ypc during the past five games.
OK, we're screwed. If you have a running back averaging 100 yards per carry, I'm ready to concede now. :laugh:

Sorry, had to go there. :) Nice write up and I appreciate the effort. I almost TL/DR'd it, but I'm glad I read it. Good info about your team.

About us? Well, I don't think I've seen an NFL team that more embodies the spirit of the old line that all teams like to use: If we play Seahawks football, your guys don't have a chance. Not to be flippant, but your 'how to beat the Panthers' reads a lot like our standard gameplan, to which we add minor tweaks to handle the current opponent. As for the 'not the team we beat then' comment, well, yeah. Most teams only look at the last 4-5 games of film on upcoming opponents anyway.

The way I like to put it is: The Seahawks fear nobody, but respect everybody. I don't recall many teams in my over 40 years of watching football that seem better prepared on a week-to-week basis than our guys. They'll be ready. Book it.

haha touche. it's a huge step for us though, and it should also be remembered that we're a ball control offense and we drag out every play to :01 before hiking the ball. we could dominate a game in every phase but still only run for 100 yards and throw for 250. it's mike shula ball at its finest (read: worst.)

the general consensus among panthers fans is that we're clearly the underdogs, but if there's one team in the NFL that's built to take you guys down, it's the new-look carolina panthers.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I think St Louis and Carolina are a good comparison. If we play loose with the ball they have a chance. Otherwise...

Going to be a good game. No Injuries please.

SC

iigakusei

Reaction score
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how tough it will be for Carolina to travel across the country to play on the West Coast for a Saturday night game. One would think it may have an impact on the game.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I like this guy.

I am not taking this game for granted. I can see us getting in trouble, especially if we continue the trend of starting extremely slow with nothing clicking on offense. Defense can only stay out on the field so long, as was shown to us by the Chargers, who are in my opinion sometimes a worse team then the Panthers. Cam might be overrated, but he is still one of the best athletes in the league, and athletes usually find ways to cause problems, no matter their deficiencies.

If I were to guess though, I would say the overall theme of the game is going to be our D destroying their O, with Cam giving up/pouting after about the 1st quarter for the rest of the game. Oh, I forgot about our offense. I guess they score just enough points to win, but don't worry, not too many.

googoodan

Reaction score
iigakusei":3gyqmiyj said:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how tough it will be for Carolina to travel across the country to play on the West Coast for a Saturday night game. One would think it may have an impact on the game.

NFL players have been traveling for the majority of their adult lives. It doesn't affect players as much as one would think. Time differences, however, are a different story. While traveling west is generally easier than losing time by traveling east, 8:15 (our time) doesn't bode well for us. We have looked pretty sorry in prime time all year.

googoodan

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2ydtw5qo said:
I like this guy.

I am not taking this game for granted. I can see us getting in trouble, especially if we continue the trend of starting extremely slow with nothing clicking on offense. Defense can only stay out on the field so long, as was shown to us by the Chargers, who are in my opinion sometimes a worse team then the Panthers. Cam might be overrated, but he is still one of the best athletes in the league, and athletes usually find ways to cause problems, no matter their deficiencies.

If I were to guess though, I would say the overall theme of the game is going to be our D destroying their O, with Cam giving up/pouting after about the 1st quarter for the rest of the game. Oh, I forgot about our offense. I guess they score just enough points to win, but don't worry, not too many.

Don't worry. You guys tend to finish strong. Meanwhile, we have a scared head coach and OC who love to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If we jump out to a 10-7 lead in the second quarter, Rivera will try to sit on that lead for the rest of the game.
I really hate that he salvaged his job with the late season run.

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3eeqjcja said:
I like this guy.

cam won't give up in the first quarter. like googoodan said, we'll get up by a score and rivera will sit on it and try to win by 3, and we'll lose in the fourth with our feet on the brakes. we've seen the script before and it's maddening.

oh and sweet thoreau quote.