Scouting the Panthers: an inside edge on how to beat our ass

bbsplitter

Reaction score
googoodan":f3lxluug said:
bbsplitter":f3lxluug said:
I like this guy.

I am not taking this game for granted. I can see us getting in trouble, especially if we continue the trend of starting extremely slow with nothing clicking on offense. Defense can only stay out on the field so long, as was shown to us by the Chargers, who are in my opinion sometimes a worse team then the Panthers. Cam might be overrated, but he is still one of the best athletes in the league, and athletes usually find ways to cause problems, no matter their deficiencies.

If I were to guess though, I would say the overall theme of the game is going to be our D destroying their O, with Cam giving up/pouting after about the 1st quarter for the rest of the game. Oh, I forgot about our offense. I guess they score just enough points to win, but don't worry, not too many.

Don't worry. You guys tend to finish strong. Meanwhile, we have a scared head coach and OC who love to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If we jump out to a 10-7 lead in the second quarter, Rivera will try to sit on that lead for the rest of the game.
I really hate that he salvaged his job with the late season run.

Who knows maybe you guys will pull a Chicago Bears and Lovie Smith him.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
phillyb":c1vdqwhv said:
bbsplitter":c1vdqwhv said:
I like this guy.

I am not taking this game for granted. I can see us getting in trouble, especially if we continue the trend of starting extremely slow with nothing clicking on offense. Defense can only stay out on the field so long, as was shown to us by the Chargers, who are in my opinion sometimes a worse team then the Panthers. Cam might be overrated, but he is still one of the best athletes in the league, and athletes usually find ways to cause problems, no matter their deficiencies.

If I were to guess though, I would say the overall theme of the game is going to be our D destroying their O, with Cam giving up/pouting after about the 1st quarter for the rest of the game. Oh, I forgot about our offense. I guess they score just enough points to win, but don't worry, not too many.

cam won't give up in the first quarter. like googoodan said, we'll get up by a score and rivera will sit on it and try to win by 3, and we'll lose in the fourth with our feet on the brakes. we've seen the script before and it's maddening.

oh and sweet thoreau quote.

Idk, from the games I see Cam play he seems to give up a lot. At least body language wise. When he is winning he is actually talking with assistant coaches, looking at diagrams, leading, yada yada yada... But if he gets behind or its a hard game? He's got his Gatorade towel on and is sitting by himself as far away as he can, usually staring at the individual blades of grass.

Thank man, Thoreau is my dude haha

googoodan

Reaction score
bbsplitter":a8are8b4 said:
googoodan":a8are8b4 said:
bbsplitter":a8are8b4 said:
I like this guy.

Don't worry. You guys tend to finish strong. Meanwhile, we have a scared head coach and OC who love to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If we jump out to a 10-7 lead in the second quarter, Rivera will try to sit on that lead for the rest of the game.
I really hate that he salvaged his job with the late season run.

Who knows maybe you guys will pull a Chicago Bears and Lovie Smith him.

We need to keep the fire on his rear. He actually coaches with a purpose when the seat is hot. After our joke of a GM got canned in 2012, Rivera coached like his job was on the line, winning 5 out of 6 to end the season. After he coached scared against Buffalo and lost in 2013, he felt that fire the rest of the year and won 12 of 14.

This year... he got comfortable and settled into his old ways. Once his seat got hot again, well, we managed to slip on a banana peel and fall headfirst into the playoffs.

Personally, I would have preferred a new coach and a top 10 draft pick, but if we can upset the Hawks in Seattle, it'll all be worth it IMO.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
panthers4life":2sqgzt81 said:
Faust":2sqgzt81 said:
Nice post. I think if you appreciate you squeaked by against an anemic Cardinal offense and a defense that collapsed due to the pressure of having to cover for the anemic offense. Then you probably can appreciate why your term is being over looked. In this league any given Sunday is true but odds are not in the favor of the Panthers. Good luck and classy post.

This is an interesting take. Let's look a little closer than just the score.

First Downs - Carolina 25 Arizona 8
Yards - Carolina 386 Arizona 76
T.O.P - Carolina 37 mins Arizona 23
Sacks - Carolina 4 Arizona 1
Rushing - Carolina 188 Arizona 27

This is obviously a dominant performance in every area of the game, and then you add this metric.

Turnovers - Carolina 3 Arizona 3

....and you have a score that's closer than the game ever was.

Final Notes
You're post is the exact reason Carolina cannot be dismissed this Saturday. A team can dominate just as the Panthers did against Arizona and still find themselves in a contest. The Seahawks were quite loose with the ball against St. Louis the last time they played.

One other note, the safety at the end of the game was intentional and shouldn't even be considered when evaluating the score.

That's great...good job Panthers!!! In their last meeting about 3 weeks ago, the Seahawks rolled up 596 yards on the Arizona defense in Arizona. It seems the Panthers got about 60% of that amount on Saturday at home. Shaping up to be a good game on Saturday.

googoodan

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1j2vx2h7 said:
phillyb":1j2vx2h7 said:
bbsplitter":1j2vx2h7 said:
I like this guy.

cam won't give up in the first quarter. like googoodan said, we'll get up by a score and rivera will sit on it and try to win by 3, and we'll lose in the fourth with our feet on the brakes. we've seen the script before and it's maddening.

oh and sweet thoreau quote.

Idk, from the games I see Cam play he seems to give up a lot. At least body language wise. When he is winning he is actually talking with assistant coaches, looking at diagrams, leading, yada yada yada... But if he gets behind or its a hard game? He's got his Gatorade towel on and is sitting by himself as far away as he can, usually staring at the individual blades of grass.

Thank man, Thoreau is my dude haha

Cam puts the towel on his head no matter what's going on in the game. It'll be there if he throws a TD or an INT. The fact that people are bothered by it is somewhat amusing.
NFL broadcasts tell a story. If the story involves a player being stifled by an opponent, there will usually be shots of that player on the sidelines looking dumbfounded. However, live and inside the stadium, he goes straight to the bench, talks with the QB coach, then goes behind the bench to work on throwing motion / staying loose.

Regardless, here is a decent write-up on Cam http://www.theshadowleague.com/articles ... eeper-hold

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The Great Hawktini":4el4ijzh said:
Sorry posting from a smart phone, could the mods delete some of these posts!!!!

1. We have the option to delete our own posts now. Unless they took away that option.

2. When posting from a smart phone, and I've told Mizz this, is just allow the site to redirect you, and don't fight it. Don't hit the back button to return to old threads or to bypass the redirect.... results will be double posts.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
phillyb":323b2lqj said:
48 posts, member since september 2013. lol that tells you all you need to know. the only woman i'll be farting on is yours, if you have one. bandwagoners are the blight of professional sports and they are disproportionately loud.

No, all it tells you is when a person registered on a particular forum. I may have decided to participate in this Seahawks forum recently, but I'm far from a bandwagon fan. I've been a fan since I was a kid in the '70's. I even had season tickets at the Kingdome in the 1990's/early 2000's. I just hadn't felt the desire to be part of an internet forum until historic things started happening with the Seahawks. Maybe that makes me a bandwagon forumite, but I'm not a new fan. So don't ASSume that you know anything.

SirTed

Reaction score
I am one of the few that think that although the Hawks should win, I think it's going to be a blood and guts game just as the OP predicts. When we've played this team in recent years, that's all it's been.

Yes, we'll be at home now and not on the road, but it's awful tough to just count on the opposing team folding due to HFA.

I'm not too worried about Carolina's offense, but that defense CAN PLAY. If they can get pressure on RW, and I don't see any reason to think they wont, everyone else does - then we're in for a tough game. Their run defense is solid. I don't see us being about to run the ball much. If Kearse / Baldwin have one of those mysterious "no separation" games, it's going to be ugly.

Hopefully LUke Willllllllllllllson eats his Wheaties and remembers his stickem.

But we should win.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":elle7zbc said:
phillyb":elle7zbc said:
48 posts, member since september 2013. lol that tells you all you need to know. the only woman i'll be farting on is yours, if you have one. bandwagoners are the blight of professional sports and they are disproportionately loud.

No, all it tells you is when a person registered on a particular forum. I may have decided to participate in this Seahawks forum recently, but I'm far from a bandwagon fan. I've been a fan since I was a kid in the '70's. I even had season tickets at the Kingdome in the 1990's/early 2000's. I just hadn't felt the desire to be part of an internet forum until historic things started happening with the Seahawks. Maybe that makes me a bandwagon forumite, but I'm not a new fan. So don't ASSume that you know anything.

Ditto. Fan since '84, but never had the desire to be on a forum before until recently. So I've been a fan of my team 11 years longer than the Panthers have been in existence. So what.
Sure we're a little cocky, but hey, we've earned it. Some day you might too. Good luck Panthers!

The Vanguard

Reaction score
:2:
Panther fan here! Best of luck Saturday. I came here to get some insight on you guys. Looks as if many of you know what your talking about and many dont. Same with some of our fans as well.As for PhillyB, I know him from a Panther forum and this dude knows his stuff. Anyways, Ill be back to talk and think I may stick around this forum for a while. Its actually one of the better fan forums Ive seen (other than ours of course).

bbsplitter

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":33e457pt said:
phillyb":33e457pt said:

What are you talking about, the internet never lies.

chawx

Reaction score
Thanks OP for the write up. I love your enthusiasm and I'm excited that you're pumped up for a game where your team is an 11-point underdog, playing with house money, nothing to lose..etc. I would be the exact same if the shoe were on the other foot.

And, I can appreciate that your team has made drastic changes to its line-up and that, so far, it's all been working out quite nicely for you guys.

You're seemingly pumped up because you guys have figured out how to grind out tough wins in the trenches and all that.... But, lets look at a major factor in your resurgent from a non-homer, outsider (like myself) perspective. Since the loss to Minnesota, you have beaten the Saints by 31 in New Orleans, the Bucs by 2 at home, the Browns by 4 at home, and the Falcons by 31 in Atlanta. And finally, you won your play-in game against Ryan Lindley's Arizona Cardinals at home.

You can read that again, but I'm sure you already knew all of that...but, try to look at that objectively and tell me that's not a terrible measuring stick of a group of teams as far as tough-nosed, grind it out, in the trenches type of games. Four out of five of those teams (Arizona being the exception) has no idea how to play anything close to "tough, grind it out, in the trenches" football. They're flimsy flukes and push over teams who have no idea how to handle being knocked around for 60-minutes.

Frankly, if I were a fan of the Panthers, sitting at 3-8-1 with those 4 teams to beat to make the playoffs, I would be SHOCKED if my team DIDN'T make the playoffs. That's probably the most powder-puff chunk of teams pre-playoff run that I have ever seen. I don't believe, as an outside observer of your team, that you can base anything that your team has done to improve this past month—other than playing a really crappy group of teams who have no backbone and no heart.

Again, like I said, if it were the Seahawks in the Panthers situation, I would be the exact same way because I'm a homer and I love my team to a fault. And, actually, I was that way back in 2010! I thought our 7-9 team would beat Chicago in Chicago after beating the Saints at home. I really did! But, I was sorely humbled...

That's all I have to say, good luck to your team. You're going to need every single ounce of it to move on to the NFC Championship game... every. single. ounce. of luck.

A

Anonymous

Folks, please.

Nice discussion, but let's tone it down on the flatulence and talk about football in this forum.

We like to do all of our farting in the Smack Shack.

:mrgreen:

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
bbsplitter":39o1rwz9 said:
SnoCoHawk":39o1rwz9 said:
phillyb":39o1rwz9 said:

What are you talking about, the internet never lies.

someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong.jpg

googoodan

Reaction score
chawx":23umxnw6 said:
Thanks OP for the write up. I love your enthusiasm and I'm excited that you're pumped up for a game where your team is an 11-point underdog, playing with house money, nothing to lose..etc. I would be the exact same if the shoe were on the other foot.

And, I can appreciate that your team has made drastic changes to its line-up and that, so far, it's all been working out quite nicely for you guys.

You're seemingly pumped up because you guys have figured out how to grind out tough wins in the trenches and all that.... But, lets look at a major factor in your resurgent from a non-homer, outsider (like myself) perspective. Since the loss to Minnesota, you have beaten the Saints by 31 in New Orleans, the Bucs by 2 at home, the Browns by 4 at home, and the Falcons by 31 in Atlanta. And finally, you won your play-in game against Ryan Lindley's Arizona Cardinals at home.

You can read that again, but I'm sure you already knew all of that...but, try to look at that objectively and tell me that's not a terrible measuring stick of a group of teams as far as tough-nosed, grind it out, in the trenches type of games. Four out of five of those teams (Arizona being the exception) has no idea how to play anything close to "tough, grind it out, in the trenches" football. They're flimsy flukes and push over teams who have no idea how to handle being knocked around for 60-minutes.

Frankly, if I were a fan of the Panthers, sitting at 3-8-1 with those 4 teams to beat to make the playoffs, I would be SHOCKED if my team DIDN'T make the playoffs. That's probably the most powder-puff chunk of teams pre-playoff run that I have ever seen. I don't believe, as an outside observer of your team, that you can base anything that your team has done to improve this past month—other than playing a really crappy group of teams who have no backbone and no heart.

Again, like I said, if it were the Seahawks in the Panthers situation, I would be the exact same way because I'm a homer and I love my team to a fault. And, actually, I was that way back in 2010! I thought our 7-9 team would beat Chicago in Chicago after beating the Saints at home. I really did! But, I was sorely humbled...

That's all I have to say, good luck to your team. You're going to need every single ounce of it to move on to the NFC Championship game... every. single. ounce. of luck.

I think most of the Panthers fans saying we'll win are trying to ruffle your feathers, tbh. If any of them actually expect us to win, then more power to them. Yeah, it would be great to knock the top bird off his perch but we know it's very unlikely to happen.
On the other hand, some of the posters here have such delusions of grandeur that I personally find it very difficult not to poke them with a stick.

skkyhawk

Reaction score
That has to be the best and most objective observation of an opposing team this year !!!
It is good to know that there is someone out there that can actually write so well in praise of there Team and about the opposing team. I agree that this is the NFL and any thing can happen but I do believe that one huge thing the Seahawks have going for them is there understanding that each and every game they need to play there GAME
not up to some one else's game but just be the best that they can be at what they do. I also agree that it will be a hard fought game just like the last few have been and if it turns out that way it will speak highly of both clubs
May the Best Team Win and may the Refs do there job well for a change

chris98251

Reaction score
Best way to beat the Panthers, rattle Cam, get in his head, get a lead, make them play the passing game.

Mick063

Reaction score
googoodan":lexxwosn said:
chawx":lexxwosn said:

I think most of the Panthers fans saying we'll win are trying to ruffle your feathers, tbh. If any of them actually expect us to win, then more power to them. Yeah, it would be great to knock the top bird off his perch but we know it's very unlikely to happen.
On the other hand, some of the posters here have such delusions of grandeur that I personally find it very difficult not to poke them with a stick.

I'm trying to find out what the "delusions of grandeur" are.

Is it believing in the defending champions? The team, that beat the team, that beat you at your house in the playoffs last year? Is that it?

Explain to me what is delusional about that. Or can you point to something more specific?

Give me a quote that you find "delusional".

I will give you the benefit of the doubt (it really is a big one) and say that this game is similar to playing the Forty Niners at our house. Check back with me when you can find when that rival team that recently played in the Super Bowl, and easily beat Carolina in the playoffs last year, has beaten a Wilson led team here.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Phillyb welcome and awesome post. Thanks!! Super cool getting some intelligent and cool Panthers fans on here. Like most I dropped by the Panthers board, but left pretty quickly because most of the posts talked about how dumb Seahawks fans are, and that we are all band wagoners. I know that is pretty common though on most boards anyway, probably even ours??:)

So, anyway thanks!! Great insights. Oh, and the whole my grandma plays better than him and she is dead, made me snort out laughing. I guess I snorted out laughter during a funny part of the bachelor that my wife is watching right now. So, thanks for getting me browny points with her because she interpreted my snort to mean I was actually watching it too!!

Anyway, I know the Hawks aren't taking Carolina for granted and for good reason. They are a good football team with some amazing talent. Mad props to Stewart. He went to my High School in Lacey, WA so I know how talented he is, and I am happy to see him doing so well. Pete, Russell, Sherman, Wagz and the boys are known for their preparation and it shows. We never lose by much when we do lose, and Russell has had the lead in every game he has played for us. I think this comes in large part because they do not take any team lightly. The seriously live by the every week is a championship week.

Now, we as fans probably get over confident, sure, but even Vegas has us favored by a clip and for good reason. That said Carolina could absolutely surprise us and you never know. Isn't it fun having hope that you can win. Just like we had hope when we beat NO in 2010. So cool, and you never know.

All the line up changes have no doubt helped you out, but I appreciate your candor in that it may also lead to some struggles. Most of the Hawks have now played in Pete's system for three or four years now. Our defense is not as vanilla as people think. Just ask Vernon Davis. It takes time to master the plays, schemes and concepts. I think that will prove the difference esp in a primetime game ( We are 15-1 now in PT games under Pete I believe) and at home in the Clink during the playoffs. You have awesome talent, and great athletes who will use this to learn and grow, but the experience level is tough to replicate and overcome esp when the opponent, like the Hawks, is also full of freakish athletes who work hard, prepare as well as any, and are really smart.

Of course you never know, and bigger upsets have happened. I also really appreciate you rooting for no injuries to either team. Just an old fashioned defensive slug fest and may the best team win. You are a classy poster and I hope you make me snort some more:)

Thanks again and welcome!!

Go Hawks!!