POWER RANKINGS

Joey13091

Reaction score
I'm fine with that. It's not a real stat just opinion. But I would have the Chiefs at #1 also.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1iy3sj85 said:
Tech Worlds power rankings have the Seahawks in at #1.

All you need to know.
I feel like we don't deserve #1 until we put together two consecutive largely-mistake-free games. What's the "odometer" think about that?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
ESPN has us absurdly low. Also, the Chiefs being #1 is just terrible. On the other hand, Shutdown Corner has us at #1 and PFT has us at #2 (despite Florio kind of hating Richard Sherman and thus us by default in general). I'd say #2 is about right. It's us, the Saints, and the 49ers, basically. The Broncos aren't that good, and neither are the Chiefs or Colts. They are probably #4-#6.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":18cvoit9 said:
ESPN has us absurdly low. Also, the Chiefs being #1 is just terrible. On the other hand, Shutdown Corner has us at #1 and PFT has us at #2 (despite Florio kind of hating Richard Sherman and thus us by default in general). I'd say #2 is about right. It's us, the Saints, and the 49ers, basically. The Broncos aren't that good, and neither are the Chiefs or Colts. They are probably #4-#6.
If KC played our schedule or the Coltss or Whiners' scedule, they'd probably be 4-3 or 5-2 if they got lucky. No way the Chiefs are anywhere close to the most powerful team in football.

Denver has some big problems on defense that need fixing. So I think they're downgraded to #3. The Colts lost Reggie and the Packers are injured everywhere. NE is still not very dominant but the Gronk will help. San Fran is playing incredible football right now. Dominant everywhere. We're struggling a little with the line, but I think we'll be fine in a few weeks.

Currently my power rankings are this...

1) San Fran
2) Seattle (tied with San Fran at top)
3) Denver
4) NO
5) Colts
6) Packers
7) NE
8) KC

and after that it get's pretty bad.

Laloosh

Reaction score
C-Dub":231tom46 said:
Smelly McUgly":231tom46 said:
If KC played our schedule or the Coltss or Whiners' scedule, they'd probably be 4-3 or 5-2 if they got lucky. No way the Chiefs are anywhere close to the most powerful team in football.

Denver has some big problems on defense that need fixing. So I think they're downgraded to #3. The Colts lost Reggie and the Packers are injured everywhere. NE is still not very dominant but the Gronk will help. San Fran is playing incredible football right now. Dominant everywhere. We're struggling a little with the line, but I think we'll be fine in a few weeks.

1) San Fran
3) Denver
4) NO
5) Colts
6) Packers
7) NE
8) KC

I have a hard time putting SF at #1 purely based on their record. We beat them. If anything, they need to win or surpass us in wins before I place them on a list higher than the Seattle Seahawks. If they do either of those things, I have no issue w/ them being higher in a power ranking.

NINEster

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2b9enjpl said:
C-Dub":2b9enjpl said:
Smelly McUgly":2b9enjpl said:

1) San Fran
3) Denver
4) NO
5) Colts
6) Packers
7) NE
8) KC

I have a hard time putting SF at #1 purely based on their record. We beat them. If anything, they need to win or surpass us in wins before I place them on a list higher than the Seattle Seahawks. If they do either of those things, I have no issue w/ them being higher in a power ranking.

That's fair but I'm willing to bet an inferior record and a loss to a common playoff opponent didn't stop you and many others from placing Seattle above sf after the season ended.

The team that goes farther in the playoffs is the better team.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
NINEster":20hpfnbl said:
That's fair but I'm willing to bet an inferior record and a loss to a common playoff opponent didn't stop you and many others from placing Seattle above sf after the season ended.

The team that goes farther in the playoffs is the better team.

That's a heck of a strawman there. You made up an argument E.C. didn't make and then attacked it.

That's also not an example that is equivalent. Power rankings are a snapshot of how things are NOW, as of Week Seven, not a projection of how teams will end up. So based on our understanding of what things are like now, no, SF should not be above Seattle as they are 0-1 against the Seahawks at this point and have a worse record at this point.

Also, "the team that goes farther in the playoffs is the better team," is a bad way to rank teams.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":l5yhkmzn said:
E.C. Laloosh":l5yhkmzn said:
C-Dub":l5yhkmzn said:
Smelly McUgly":l5yhkmzn said:

1) San Fran
3) Denver
4) NO
5) Colts
6) Packers
7) NE
8) KC

That's fair

FTFY - Now you don't come off like a whiner.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
C-Dub":2ih9obcp said:

1) San Fran

I'm not sure how you make this argument.

SF gets blown out by SEA, blown out by INDY at home and plays a tight game at home vs. AZ.

SEA should have beat INDY on the road and looked better vs. AZ on the road. They are statistically better than SF on both offense and defense.

drdiags

Reaction score
It is just someone's opinion whether you agree or not. This isn't the BCS. There is a true playoff system that matters, everything else with these polls is just for debating style points and eyeball tests.

Texans home and away could have something in bringing the comparisons closer, if that is what motivated C-Dub.

NINEster

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3cvmqkjl said:
C-Dub":3cvmqkjl said:

1) San Fran

SF gets blown out by SEA, blown out by INDY at home and plays a tight game at home vs. AZ.

SEA should have beat INDY on the road and looked better vs. AZ on the road. They are statistically better than SF on both offense and defense.

How in the world are these two teams equal?

As of now I'll concede that the Seahawks are a bit better than SF, but a good amount of that has to do with injuries and Seattle having a Better and more consistent identity now (although the latter gap IMHO is closing).

And while your analysis is logical , when applied to last year (sf beating GB and NE convincingly on the road vs sea doing it at home) and other shared opponents it was dismissed.

Look, we are all homers to an extent, let's not kid ourselves.

If there's something I need to see to convince me that the Seahawks are the undeniable best team in the NFC , I'd like to see them beat the 49ers at candlestick and finish at least .500 if not better on the road. Although the former is probably enough.

Lot of football left.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":20vpvuz4 said:
DavidSeven":20vpvuz4 said:
C-Dub":20vpvuz4 said:

1) San Fran

How in the world are these two teams equal?

As of now I'll concede that the Seahawks are a bit better than SF, but a good amount of that has to do with injuries and Seattle having a Better and more consistent identity now (although the latter gap IMHO is closing).

And while your analysis is logical , when applied to last year (sf beating GB and NE convincingly on the road vs sea doing it at home) and other shared opponents it was dismissed.

Look, we are all homers to an extent, let's not kid ourselves.

If there's something I need to see to convince me that the Seahawks are the undeniable best team in the NFC , I'd like to see them beat the 49ers at candlestick and finish at least .500 if not better on the road. Although the former is probably enough.

Lot of football left.

Take your "but" and move along. If I were a Niner fan I'd be more in need of convincing from my own team. They're the ones who have lost in blowouts (on the road AND at home), not the Seattle Seahawks. As for your comments about injury, I'd love to see Squidward and Gore carry a team with three starting offensive lineman injured.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Here's my only issue with the #1 and #2 rankings.

#1 KC = Last undefeated team, but didn't really beat any quality opponents. This ranking would mean that overall record matters.

#2 Indy = Okay this team beat quality opponents, San Fran, Seattle AND the Broncos. I mean how could you note rate this team #1 or #2, BUT given KC is #1, it means overall record matters. and Indy has two losses, last I checked Seattle, The Broncos and the Saints all have only 1 loss.

That's my only issue is the different mindsets that would go into the two rankings.