Andy Reid/Alex Smith

13thMan

Reaction score
Regardless, that first drive by KC was very efficient and impressive... Alex and Reid will work well together and it wouldn't shock me at all if the Chiefs logged 10-11 wins this year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Someone help me out here. Year before last off season Alex Smith was a FA and floated around getting no interest while the Niners showed interest in Manning. Wasn't Reid still running Philly at the time? If so then why not make him an offer as a FA?

pehawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3sq3ky95 said:
Someone help me out here. Year before last off season Alex Smith was a FA and floated around getting no interest while the Niners showed interest in Manning. Wasn't Reid still running Philly at the time? If so then why not make him an offer as a FA?

Good point...but they had $100M sunk into Vick.

The Chiefs will win 10 and win that division. Crazy young and talented team.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":13q1dbbl said:
I never believe stories like this. I mean, we hear trade rumors and stuff all the time while they're happening, why would this only just now be coming out? It's nonsense. Reid just trying to save face for what I believe will be a bad trade.
We never heard about a potential Lynch trade, and Schneider had been calling about him for weeks.

I buy that Reid liked Alex, Alex seems just what Reid would like. The eagles had enough cap to sign a mannequin maybe, there was no way they could swing a deal for him as a free agent when he was available.

But I don't buy that he tried to repeatedly trade with the Niners in the middle of last year. Alex got concussed and relegated to the bench after the trade deadline. Were the Eagles calling the NIners to inquire about trading for Alex when he was starting, no way.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ias3btw said:
peachesenregalia":1ias3btw said:
I never believe stories like this. I mean, we hear trade rumors and stuff all the time while they're happening, why would this only just now be coming out? It's nonsense. Reid just trying to save face for what I believe will be a bad trade.
We never heard about a potential Lynch trade, and Schneider had been calling about him for weeks.

I buy that Reid liked Alex, Alex seems just what Reid would like. The eagles had enough cap to sign a mannequin maybe, there was no way they could swing a deal for him as a free agent when he was available.

But I don't buy that he tried to repeatedly trade with the Niners in the middle of last year. Alex got concussed and relegated to the bench after the trade deadline. Were the Eagles calling the NIners to inquire about trading for Alex when he was starting, no way.

I assumed that when Smith was having his bad years through 800(!) different o-coordinators and McNabb was on the downswing in Philly, that's when Reid tried to trade for him.

mretrade

Reaction score
The 49ers get another 2nd round pick if KC goes 8-8 or better. Alex could be the gift that keeps on giving.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":1cmyagra said:
RichNhansom":1cmyagra said:

Good point...but they had $100M sunk into Vick.

The Chiefs will win 10 and win that division. Crazy young and talented team.
Philadelphia was stupid for resigning Vick. But fact is Smith is a perfect fit for Reid and 10-11 wins for the Chiefs looks like a no brainer given the weakness of that division, Denver's OL issues and the general suckage of the AFC.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Reid and Smith will have a great marriage, IMO. Smith played extremely well after Harbaugh replaced the mad dog Singletary. Harbaugh told Smith "I believe in you. You are capable of big things and you are my QB". It wasn't until later that Smith learned Harbaugh was full of sh*t.

While he was learning that about Harbaugh, along with the rest of us, Smith learned how dedicated and committed Andy Reid was as a coach. Reid DIED a slow death with Vick in Philly. He probably could have saved his own ass by throwing Vick under the bus...but refused to do so. Why? Reid once told Vick " I believe in you. You are capable of big things and you are my QB". He never wavered (though I personally feel he should have went with Foles last year regardless of what he told Vick).

Does the above make Alex Smith weak of mind? Did he have to be coddled? Who knows....? All we know is that a vote of confidence worked for him in SF and I believe it will work (at least) as well with Reid. KC is a team that has a lot of components necessary to make a run. And I hope they do.....but not this year. Not until Harbaugh is denied that 2nd.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was shocked at how much Reid gave up for Alex! Basically a 1st round pick (#33) for a mediocre QB! Plus an additional #2 if a talented Chiefs team goes 8-8 or better? Man did SF fleece him! Andy should have saved that pick and got E.J. Manuel instead of a concussed, aged, average QB.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Wasn't Smith's QB ranking at the top of the league when he was concussed / benched?

I could be mistaken on the above, but if accurate, pretty hard to get that guy for much less than KC paid. What did the Raiders previously give for Palmer?

32 teams and maybe half should feel good about their QB. The Smith deal could have been worse.

Fanatics

Reaction score
HawkWow":6vaex6ap said:
Wasn't Smith's QB ranking at the top of the league when he was concussed / benched?

I could be mistaken on the above, but if accurate, pretty hard to get that guy for much less than KC paid. What did the Raiders previously give for Palmer?

32 teams and maybe half should feel good about their QB. The Smith deal could have been worse.
Puff Puff Pass...it is my turn. I want what you are smoking. :D

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't see what the rest of you guys see. I don't think Alex can three yard pass his way to ten wins with the Chiefs like he did with the whiners. They only have one wr and an already injured injury prone running back. Their O-line is on par with the Cards of last season too.

Maybe it's just me :34853_tinfoil:

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
rideaducati":1fr1bhd9 said:
I don't see what the rest of you guys see. I don't think Alex can three yard pass his way to ten wins with the Chiefs like he did with the whiners. They only have one wr and an already injured injury prone running back. Their O-line is on par with the Cards of last season too.

They have weapons in KC. Go watch the Chargers and Raiders. They are garbage. I can see 9+ wins in KC. I seen you around. I know you can't stand Smith but he is a quality game manager. Stop living in the past when he had a different offensive coordinator every year and was terrible. He's had/has some stable coordinators over the last few years and gotten right. He's the modern day Brad Johnson when he was good.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":e1u72sga said:
rideaducati":e1u72sga said:

They have weapons in KC. Go watch the Chargers and Raiders. They are garbage. I can see 9+ wins in KC. I seen you around. I know you can't stand Smith but he is a quality game manager. Stop living in the past when he had a different offensive coordinator every year and was terrible. He's had/has some stable coordinators over the last few years and gotten right. He's the modern day Brad Johnson when he was good.

Look at his stats from before Hairball and then with Hairball. They are the same but with fewer ints. Watch his games from the past two years. He completes 19 passes/game and only one or two go farther than 3 yards down field.

Andy Reid's QBs throw 35 passes/game and are asked to go down field with those passes. When Alex throws that many passes or passes down field, he will revert to first 7 seasons Alex Smith.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Fanatics":3oym1ytw said:
HawkWow":3oym1ytw said:

a) Are you suggesting I was wrong in Smith's QB rating?

b) Are you suggesting Smith was available to the Chiefs for much less than they paid?
c) Are you saying the Raiders paid less for Palmer...or that Palmer is worth more than Smith?

d) Do you believe every team is satisfied with their QB situation?

Just a guess, but based on your apparent confusion, I'd say you should either back away from anything mind-altering....or up your dosage. One or the other. BTW, your indoor crops rival anything we can grow outdoors here in the islands. You're set in the PNW. This I know. ; )

Fanatics

Reaction score
HawkWow":28oausz4 said:
Fanatics":28oausz4 said:
HawkWow":28oausz4 said:

a) Are you suggesting I was wrong in Smith's QB rating?

b) Are you suggesting Smith was available to the Chiefs for much less than they paid?
c) Are you saying the Raiders paid less for Palmer...or that Palmer is worth more than Smith?

d) Do you believe every team is satisfied with their QB situation?

Just a guess, but based on your apparent confusion, I'd say you should either back away from anything mind-altering....or up your dosage. One or the other. BTW, your indoor crops rival anything we can grow outdoors here in the islands. You're set in the PNW. This I know. ; )
I am suggesting that you are high if you think that the niners could of received more for Alex Smith. There is no rational person that thought the niners could of received a better deal for captain checkdown. This is what is wrong with QB Rating and why the new QBR system was created, if you take no chances even when they are there it keeps your completion percentage in tack and your Ratings high.

As for indoor vs outdoor growth, it sounds like you have it own pretty good...so once again, quit hogging it. ;)

HawkWow

Reaction score
I agree stats can be twisted and QB ratings over-estimated, but In 2011-2012, (less than a season and a half)...Smith threw 32 Tds and just 11 ints. His W/L record was an impressive 19-5. Those two stats are the bottom line (to me) in rating the success of a QB.

Going back to the Raider / Palmer trade, I think Smith won more games in 2011 than Palmer had in the past 3 years combined. Smith was 28 and Palmer 32 yrs old. In that same time period, Palmer threw 36 TDs and 20 ints...fumbling 9 times. The Raiders gave a 1st and 2nd for him.

Someone mentioned KC should have went with Manuel and I won't argue with that but apparently, after years of losing, the Hunt family wants to win now. I'm sure Reid felt the same.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on the value of Smith. He is far from being one of my favorite QBs, but I do understand this is a QB driven league and QBs will always be in demand and over-paid. Especially QBs with numbers like those of Alex Smith. BTW...you must have shit bricks over what we gave for Harvin! ; )

Fanatics

Reaction score
The Palmer trade was ridiculous and they gave too much but then again it is the Raiders. They notoriously give too much in trades and/or overvalue guys based on their own set of values.

Back to Smith, we will disagree on what he is worth and I feel sorry for Dwayne Bowe in this trade as he is being wasted on this team and with Alex throwing the rock, he will continue to be wasted. Just look what become of the former bust in SF, Michael Crabtree, when Alex was the starting QB. I know the fans in SF were blaming Crabtree for not working hard enough, not playing through fake injuries, etc...but then once Alex was replaced he became a real WR. So we will disagree on Alex's value but only time will tell if it was worth it for the Chiefs...I just hope that KC wins less then 8 games so the 49ers don't receive another 2nd round pick. :D

As for Harvin, he is a game changer and probably one of the most versatile players in the game. He has the tenacity, strength, speed and elusiveness to be the difference maker in our offense but his injury history is troubling to me. So, I do think we overpaid for him but unlike the Smith deal, I believe if you evaluate this move on the players abilities, it is worth it. But damn that labrum tear is troubling and I am still unsure whether he can ever return to his former glory. Not to mention if the stories of his tendency to be distraction in the locker room when things are not going well are true, not that I believe that will happen on our team since we are stacked and ready, but if so that also should of been factored in with the trade/contract.