Russell Wilson

jake206

Reaction score
According to this week's SI issue, Russell's incorporating soccer training to increase his spatial awareness. #machine.

oasis

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what soccer has to do with spatial awareness.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Even if he appears to have eyes in the back of his head this year, I will never admit the soccer helped him...just can't do it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oasis":bdf053a8 said:

I've been coaching soccer for the past 10 years, and soccer is very much about space..........moving to space, passing to space, predicting player movement that opens up space to pass the ball, make a run or shoot.

So this makes total sense to me.

MB12

Reaction score
oasis":1tkmwbpj said:

It's a pretty good idea really. Space is everything in soccer. Soccer players are taught to run into space and to pass and move. The top soccer players have to be spatially aware to know at what point to do things--such as pass or shoot. Also, often the holding midfielder in soccer is called the "quarterback". He dictates the tempo of the game.

All of this will help Russell play quarterback more effectively. I would say it would help him the most in sensing pressure, moving around the pocket and also knowing when to throw.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
I could never get use to the silly flopping and faux-injuries in pro soccer. But at its best, soccer is an absolute art in spatial improvisation, especially in one touch passing. No plays drawn up, just got to trust your wingman being there on time. Very very difficult to master. I'd imagine Russell could use that in his scramble drills.

MB12

Reaction score
jake206":1wombb3f said:
I could never get use to the silly flopping and faux-injuries in soccer. But at its best, soccer is an absolute art in spatial improvisation, especially in one touch passing. No plays drawn up, just got to trust your wingman being there on time. Very very difficult to master. I'd imagine Russell could use that in his scramble drills.

Yeh I could definitely see this helping him when scrambling too

JustTheTip

Reaction score
jake206":3fvpwak4 said:
I could never get use to the silly flopping and faux-injuries in pro soccer. But at its best, soccer is an absolute art in spatial improvisation, especially in one touch passing. No plays drawn up, just got to trust your wingman being there on time. Very very difficult to master. I'd imagine Russell could use that in his scramble drills.

While I hate flopping with a passion, I rarely see anything in soccer that is much worse than what I saw the Colt's WR doing in that game against the Seahawks last year. And NBA is at least as bad. Point being, it is a problem in all sports.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bitter":17stgv1m said:
jake206":17stgv1m said:

While I hate flopping with a passion, I rarely see anything in soccer that is much worse than what I saw the Colt's WR doing in that game against the Seahawks last year. And NBA is at least as bad. Point being, it is a problem in all sports.

Yep, and a lot of players and media people have already expressed concern that it's going to get worse in the NFL with the new contact rules. What's to prevent WR's from faking contact with DB's to get calls now?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I'm not really sure how 'soccer' is going to improve his spacial awareness, given he's only got to be aware of what's in front of him and has already been under center 15 years. I'm sure he probably had fun, but there's an awful lot more that 'soccer' players could learn from guys like Russell Wilson

253hawk

Reaction score
oasis":3na2gfyl said:

The further you stay the hell away from soccer, the better your spatial awareness.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
Bitter":c422s3d8 said:
jake206":c422s3d8 said:

Hmm.. if you say so.

[youtube]c9kf5Ayw1Eo[/youtube]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Only at .Net can you guys turn a story like this into a chance to complain about something.

Soccer! OMG! Not Soccer! Anything but Soccer!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1p8kojfz said:
I'll be honest, I'm not really sure how 'soccer' is going to improve his spacial awareness, given he's only got to be aware of what's in front of him and has already been under center 15 years. I'm sure he probably had fun, but there's an awful lot more that 'soccer' players could learn from guys like Russell Wilson

erp...the problem with this misunderstanding is that you're assuming it's just about his space.

I'd say what's a much more important take-away is the space of others - namely his receivers. Reading the defense is one thing. once you know the coverage and zone setup, it's all about throwing into space. I can totally see on having a better understanding of timing and space can help hit those receivers in between the zones.

And yes, he has many years of playing football under his belt, but just like any exercise you do, you have to change up your routine to make progress. You don't get buff in the gym doing the same three exercises. You don't grow mentally looking at a problem from one perspective.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I think this crossover stuff is a fantastic idea. Look how baseball has helped him. He slides with the best of them while some other QB's cant slide (?). His throwing style mimics throwing a baseball. He throws high which negates his smaller stature. I am sure there may be other things but those are a quick few. I am sure soccer can help in some way. Worst case scenario what could it hurt? It would be foolish of us to question his training while most of us are sitting on our butts behind a computer screen (including yours truly).

I personally love football waaay more than soccer but I do respect soccer and its skill. The Flopping is a bit ridiculous and I have seen some of that creep into the NFL.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Just was watching "Unfinished Business" with my wife and daughter last night and
my daughter said something like "He just throws it and our guys show up at the same spot where it was going to land! "

to which I replied

"Remember what I was trying to explain to you last year at *soccer practice? Time+Space rules the world!"

Interesting. Sure as hell can't hurt.

*her 1st season

JustTheTip

Reaction score
jake206":341lek23 said:
Bitter":341lek23 said:
jake206":341lek23 said:

Hmm.. if you say so.

[youtube]c9kf5Ayw1Eo[/youtube]

11912890614_01faced46c_o.gif

tavon-austin.gif

I578qT9

[youtube]T8-JYSXDp9k[/youtube]

[youtube]Y2BhMCBQBg0[/youtube]

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Mastering football or is it futball? If anything it should help his footwork and spacial awareness when he scrambles to pass. Soccer players are not 250 pound tacklers who want to take your head off and football players don't hesitate to do it.