Russell Wilson

chris98251

Reaction score
I would say that Joe Nash had the Flop figured out so well that the NFL created a new rule for it.

TXHawk

Reaction score
What's with all this petty little bitchiness about soccer? It's a brilliant game if you bother to learn something about it. There's room for more than one version of "football" and there's no need to denigrate one to appreciate the other.

And, yes, soccer is all about spatial awareness.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":xb4dok5a said:
erp...the problem with this misunderstanding is that you're assuming it's just about his space.

I'd say what's a much more important take-away is the space of others - namely his receivers. Reading the defense is one thing. once you know the coverage and zone setup, it's all about throwing into space. I can totally see on having a better understanding of timing and space can help hit those receivers in between the zones.

And yes, he has many years of playing football under his belt, but just like any exercise you do, you have to change up your routine to make progress. You don't get buff in the gym doing the same three exercises. You don't grow mentally looking at a problem from one perspective.

Not being funny, but pretty much all team sports involve trying to find and identify guys in space. English football can be a beautiful game (except when you support Oxford United), but I'm skeptical over whether he'll be 'making progress' in his quarterbacking through soccer training. Great, you've got to identify defenses and find space, but you might as well be talking about ultimate frisbee, in fact that would probably make more sense.

It's just a totally different game, so whilst I appreciate that 'you don't grow mentally looking at a problem from one perspective', I'm not sure getting the perspective of a soccer player who might attempt a 'through ball' with maybe 5% of his touches is going to benefit him that much.

Again though, I'm sure he had fun, it's a great game, especially at grass roots level where you get far less prima donna personalities.

P.S. Great Avatar.

rideaducati

Reaction score
TXHawk":3vt9g4of said:
What's with all this petty little bitchiness about soccer? It's a brilliant game if you bother to learn something about it. There's room for more than one version of "football" and there's no need to denigrate one to appreciate the other.

I guess watching 90+ minutes of excitement ending in a tie is too much for me. That's like a night of foreplay...

rideaducati

Reaction score
TXHawk":wlp53tzq said:

I guess watching 90+ minutes of excitement ending in a tie is too much for me. That's like a night of foreplay...

Rickomatic

Reaction score
It sounds like an interesting concept. But I'm not sure my heart can stand going into the final 2 minutes nil nil. :twisted:

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
jake206":1k2w392a said:
According to this week's SI issue, Russell's incorporating soccer training to increase his spatial awareness. #machine.

So the ex-pro baseball player uses soccer training to help him be one of the best QB's in the NFL...

Yet we still have parents making their kids "focus" on one sport year 'round to supposedly increase their chances of going pro (all youth coaches have dealt with this).

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
rideaducati":2z4wd0hu said:
TXHawk":2z4wd0hu said:

The NFL also has ties.

Latest posts