Thoughts on Jimmy Staten?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seahawks used a relatively high draft pick (Fifth Round) on DT Jimmy Staten (6'4, 303). Staten will be one of the strongest players on the team. With 33 1/2 inch arms, Staten put up 30 bench press reps at his pro day.

He looks fairly quick out of his stance, but plays too high and does not use his hands or disengage well. Has vertically no upside as a pass rusher. He will probably start out in a competition for reps at the three technique, especially if Tony McDaniel takes Red Bryant's reps at the five technique. He might also have some utility as a backup NT, and perhaps he will progress enough to be given reps at the five technique in Bryant's former role.

[youtube]CMOLfm4ESN4[/youtube]

Staten's highlights from the Seahawks: http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 738dbea7bc

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2sym00zm said:
Seahawks used a relatively high draft pick (Fifth Round) on DT Jimmy Staten (6'4, 303). Staten will be one of the strongest players on the team. With 33 1/2 inch arms, Staten put up 30 bench press reps at his pro day.

He looks fairly quick out of his stance, but plays too high and does not use his hands or disengage well. Has vertically no upside as a pass rusher. He will probably start out in a competition for reps at the three technique, especially if Tony McDaniel takes Red Bryant's reps at the five technique. He might also have some utility as a backup NT, and perhaps he will progress enough to be given reps at the five technique in Bryant's former role.

[youtube]CMOLfm4ESN4[/youtube]

Staten's highlights from the Seahawks: http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 738dbea7bc

Where do you get the idea that Tony McDaniel will be playing the 5-technique? Not sure why they'd move him, he was rather effective @ 3-Technique. PC & JS mentioned that Staten would be competing @ the 3-Technique, which I think is fantastic, now we've got 2-3 really big guys for that spot (assuming Jesse Williams is also ready to go).

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
jlwaters1":zsrvwlt1 said:
Where do you get the idea that Tony McDaniel will be playing the 5-technique? Not sure why they'd move him, he was rather effective @ 3-Technique. PC & JS mentioned that Staten would be competing @ the 3-Technique, which I think is fantastic, now we've got 2-3 really big guys for that spot (assuming Jesse Williams is also ready to go).

Carroll said Tony McDaniel would play some at the five technique to replace Red Bryant's contributions there.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Well I can see why they want to try him at 3 tech because he just doesn't handle the double team well. Initial get off and two hand punch/extension is good, but he doesn't sustain anything secondary. This is a very raw player despite the decent upside.

And yes, he does play too high and ends up on the ground too much. Thought the same thing of Jesse Williams. Neither can back up Bane.

I think we have a bunch of guys this year that can vie for PT at 3 and 5 and 4 tech (remember that Red played head up on the T a lot last year a la 3-4 end), but we don't really have a legitimate backup for Bane. When we played McDonald at NT/1 tech last year our run defense suffered as McDonald was easily rooted by the double and too often controlled by just the center.

Scruggs has indicated that he wants to play all 3 positions with his new found 311 pounds this year. Playing NT or 1 tech is not for the light hearted and isn't necessarily just about weight, however. I think Scruggs is both very strong and athletic though and might be able to contribute. Last year Hill wasn't quite strong enough (or healthy enough) to stay on the field or handle NFL run blocking. However, Hill has the natural leverage and lateral agility required to handle the position. If he's used this offseason to really add more core AND upper body strength then I think he's got a chance to back up Bane as well. Hill is kind of the opposite of Jesse Williams. Jesse is top heavy and hardly looks like his legs can support him. Hill has some trunks and could use more upper body strength. Hopefully both have tried to address their deficiencies, but in no way do I think Jesse will ever be a NT or 1 tech. He's simply not built for it, much like Red. It's also entirely possible that the Hawks thing that maybe Cherrington has improved enough to get on the active roster for a couple games if need be and then go back to being stashed on the PS.

I love that we're tilting more towards pass rushing. However, without stopping the run with minimal gains you don't get to 3rd and longs and without clear passing situations your opportunities to use a nickel DL sets are also more limited. We still have to maintain that balance. Obviously, if the coaching staff feels that needs to be addressed later we can do that with a cheap vet. We don't need a starter. Bane is one of the best at what he does. We just need a competent backup. IMO, when we used McDonald to do so last year he just flat out wasn't good enough at it. Nice nickel pass rusher, sure, but not a NT/1 tech.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2bgjrsze said:
jlwaters1":2bgjrsze said:

Carroll said Tony McDaniel would play some at the five technique to replace Red Bryant's contributions there.

I've also heard dfifferent, but none of this is set in stone. They'll evaluate personnel and see who fits what best. You don't do that from a chair with a camera in front of you. Our dynamic coaching staff will have plenty of on field practice time to decide all that a few months from now.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1f9gulsi said:
hawknation2014":1f9gulsi said:
jlwaters1":1f9gulsi said:

I've also heard dfifferent, but none of this is set in stone. They'll evaluate personnel and see who fits what best. You don't do that from a chair with a camera in front of you. Plenty of on field practice time will decide all that a few months from now.

Of course, that's why I specifically said "if Tony McDaniel takes Red Bryant's reps at the five technique." It's a possibility that Carroll has mentioned, and it makes sense if you think about it. The five technique is a challenging position to play, it would be preferable to have a veteran there, and McDaniel gives you more upside as a space eater controlling his gap outside at the five technique than as a natural inside pass rusher.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1fwde04o said:
Wow, he was absolutely terrible in that game.

There were a couple positives in there, but this guy can in no way handle a double team right now. I've seen a lot of big tough DLs have a lot of trouble against the big Poly BYU lines though. I'd like to see more, but if I were to judge just off of that vid I'd say this is a practice squad player. There's something to work with, but work is definitely needed.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3vpcs77k said:
vin.couve12":3vpcs77k said:
hawknation2014":3vpcs77k said:
jlwaters1":3vpcs77k said:

I've also heard dfifferent, but none of this is set in stone. They'll evaluate personnel and see who fits what best. You don't do that from a chair with a camera in front of you. Plenty of on field practice time will decide all that a few months from now.

Of course, that's why I specifically said "if Tony McDaniel takes Red Bryant's reps at the five technique." It's a possibility that Carroll has mentioned, and it makes sense if you think about it. The five technique is a challenging position to play, it would be preferable to have a veteran there, and McDaniel gives you more upside as a space eater controlling his gap outside at the five technique than as a natural inside pass rusher.
I don't necessarily disagree. We ran hybrid defenses quite a bit last year where both Bane and Red were two gapping while everyone else was 1 gapping. This means that 1 and 5 then become 0 (or NT) and 4 tech. Can McDaniel 2 gap? That I'm not sure of, but he might be the best candidate, yes. The lone problem I have with that is the potential to weaken 3 tech. I think they'll weigh this out as it plays out and get the best players on the field.

One thing is for sure, McDaniel will be one of those 3 best real DL on 1st and 2nd down when the season starts. That I have no doubt. He was really, really solid last year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm with coug, he was awful against the Cougars. He was pushed around on most snaps, double team or not. Maybe improved technique or strength will help.

seabowl

Reaction score
What did they see in this guy? Just terrible.

NYCoug

Reaction score
seabowl":3kp7b7k5 said:
What did they see in this guy? Just terrible.

This was a post made by EndZorn in another thread. It's one of the greatest posts I've seen on .Net in quite some time actually, and it's important with regards to your question...

endzorn":3kp7b7k5 said:
I think fans tend to fall in line with traditional player grading during the draft process. Player X did this against Player Y in this situation. Players get downgraded for not making a consistent impact, not being physically developed, not having sound technique, etc... . Seattle values athleticism and competitive make-up first and foremost. If a kid isn't fully developed, they'll wait. If Seattle believes they play out of position and don't make necessary impact, Seattle will move them and trust their system. If technique is an issue, they'll trust their coaches.

Potential can be a dirty word in the draft process, but Seattle values potential over college production. Athleticism and want-to are the key for them to measure a kid's potential. I used to care way more about the picks as they came off the board, but now I know I'm not going to know who half the guys are, I'll just know they're going to be physically superior to most and Seattle will trust themselves to bring out the things other teams didn't see. It's frustrating in the days after the draft, but exciting at the same time.

That's some beautiful stuff right there. Hats off to EndZorn, who judging by his avatar, is probably only wearing a hat right now. Awful, but regardless, the man is right when it comes to Seattle's view on the draft and player development.

I'm not saying we're all going to be calling big Jimmy "Staten Island." No, I can only hope and pray for that to some day be the case. What I'm saying is that, even though the tape might look rough, don't be surprised with what the 'Hawks can do for a guy like this when plugging him in to an insanely talented defense, playmakers all around him, coupled with possibly the best coaching in the game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hilarious thread.

Who here remembers that it took Red 2 years! to look like an NFL player. That they had to find a new role for him.

The kid is a lump of clay with talents that they like. But not so much that they took him before the late rounds. Staten got a lot of interest from a bunch of 3-4 teams and Jacksonville, and a bunch of those teams were on the clock right after that pick.

Staten has the right frame, athleticism, even when doubled keeps track of where the runner is, disengages to make tackles sometimes, can absorb a double, and apparently they like his competetiveness and attitude. What else is there that we have to analyze about a late round guy?

kf3339

Reaction score
This guy for me was probably the worst pick, although our 7th round FB is close. We just didn't need another project 3tech DT on this team imo. It says either they have no confidence in the guys we have now, or they just don't care how many picks they end up cutting because they have only X amount of slots for Y amount of players.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The two good things you can say about him are he passes the eyeball test and he's extremely strong. Maybe the coaches can mold him into a viable contributor.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
At what point did we find out that Sweezy was moving to offense?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3vc9zyhe said:
Hilarious thread.

Who here remembers that it took Red 2 years! to look like an NFL player. That they had to find a new role for him.

The kid is a lump of clay with talents that they like. But not so much that they took him before the late rounds. Staten got a lot of interest from a bunch of 3-4 teams and Jacksonville, and a bunch of those teams were on the clock right after that pick.

Staten has the right frame, athleticism, even when doubled keeps track of where the runner is, disengages to make tackles sometimes, can absorb a double, and apparently they like his competetiveness and attitude. What else is there that we have to analyze about a late round guy?

I am with this point in the fact that he can absorb a double team. Take 2 out and that leaves one more double then very few left for some schemes. If we determine that we need to throw a blitzer in, so be it with everyone else being blocked. I like the pic.
:thirishdrinkers:

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Endzorn and others make a really fair point. The Seahawks are one of the best teams at developing players, which seems to be a bit of an anomaly in the NFL. Sure, lots of teams will pick a QB with the idea of converting him to a WR, but the rule is that most teams see a player based on whatever his position was in college, and that's short-sighted. Not only are the Seahawks willing to experiment, but if they see potential then they're willing to really commit to making that player the best he can be at his new position. I admire the hell out of that.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
No real impressive game tape there. I hope this guy continues the legacy of awesome seahawks 5th round picks but I'm not too optimistic.