Thoughts on Jimmy Staten?

kf3339

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2onp8z3q said:
Endzorn and others make a really fair point. The Seahawks are one of the best teams at developing players, which seems to be a bit of an anomaly in the NFL. Sure, lots of teams will pick a QB with the idea of converting him to a WR, but the rule is that most teams see a player based on whatever his position was in college, and that's short-sighted. Not only are the Seahawks willing to experiment, but if they see potential then they're willing to really commit to making that player the best he can be at his new position. I admire the hell out of that.

Yes, but only to a point. The problem is that if it takes you 3 years to make him a viable contributor his contract is now up. So you have developed him and still had to pay to get him to that point. Now he is a free agent who can go anywhere he wants (unless you tender or tag him) which means his price tag to retain is far greater.

I am all for developing talent, but just think they may be going too far at this point in the process. There just aren't enough spots to keep bringing in 9-11 draft picks every year on this team and UDFA'a as well. Just how I see it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2bbk3vgw said:
At what point did we find out that Sweezy was moving to offense?

Almost immediately. It was the reason they drafted him. Cable asked Sweezy about his willingness to move prior to the draft. He was never taken with the intention of being a DT.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kf3339":3mbu1j9y said:
MysterMatt":3mbu1j9y said:
Endzorn and others make a really fair point. The Seahawks are one of the best teams at developing players, which seems to be a bit of an anomaly in the NFL. Sure, lots of teams will pick a QB with the idea of converting him to a WR, but the rule is that most teams see a player based on whatever his position was in college, and that's short-sighted. Not only are the Seahawks willing to experiment, but if they see potential then they're willing to really commit to making that player the best he can be at his new position. I admire the hell out of that.

Yes, but only to a point. The problem is that if it takes you 3 years to make him a viable contributor his contract is now up. So you have developed him and still had to pay to get him to that point. Now he is a free agent who can go anywhere he wants (unless you tender or tag him) which means his price tag to retain is far greater.

I am all for developing talent, but just think they may be going too far at this point in the process. There just aren't enough spots to keep bringing in 9-11 draft picks every year on this team and UDFA'a as well. Just how I see it.

To an extent. At the end of the season you have 53 man roster, IR and the practice squad. Throw in FA losses and signings and there is plenty of room to get up to the 90 man preseason roster. Let camp and preseason sort out who is a lock, who is a loss, and who is worth a project.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2n7xv9d0 said:
Hilarious thread.

Who here remembers that it took Red 2 years! to look like an NFL player. That they had to find a new role for him.

The kid is a lump of clay with talents that they like. But not so much that they took him before the late rounds. Staten got a lot of interest from a bunch of 3-4 teams and Jacksonville, and a bunch of those teams were on the clock right after that pick.

Staten has the right frame, athleticism, even when doubled keeps track of where the runner is, disengages to make tackles sometimes, can absorb a double, and apparently they like his competetiveness and attitude. What else is there that we have to analyze about a late round guy?

A lot of people seem to think that our FO is drafting guys who they expect to make an impact immediately. And in the early rounds, I would argue that is a correct expectation. But if they think we're drafting these guys in the 4th round and later in order to put them on the field right away, I think they're sadly mistaken. One of the things our coaches do better than any others in the league is develop players. They get these "lumps of clay" and indoctrinate them into our system. Staten is one of those guys. He wasn't drafted to suit up next to Mebane and dominate. He was drafted to be molded so he could work his way into the rotation in 2015 and 2016, after the Seahawks lose a guy or two to FA or age/cap-related cuts. And that's how the cycle works... draft-develop-replace.

We're in the cycle now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sherman also had a super raw college reel. Far more raw than what I saw in Staten's cut-up, which isn't even that bad. You guys were expecting a small school DT to dominate BYU by himself and then be available in the 5th round? Funny.

What those guys have in common is that they have special tools that Seattle thought it could work with. Staten's physical profile was intriguing enough for several NFL teams to bring him in for a visit prior to the draft. Think of Luke Willson. He was a guy who couldn't even get on the field for Rice. However, he had ton of NFL-level tools and the intangibles to match. That pick is looking pretty dang good right now.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Staten's tape reminds me of what Red Bryant was like his first 2 years in the NFL.

And coincidentally Staten and Bryant share a lot of the same similarities: tall, big body frames with long arms and solid anchor, both can be described has country strong, and both move well at their size but provide little to no pass-rush ability at all. Lastly, both can be defined has great leaders... I don't know if Staten will translate that part of his game like Bryant did but if anything I could see him develop quickly because he looks to be a highly coachable prospect.

Not saying Jimmy Staten will be the next Red Bryant but I think he was drafted for that potential, much like Jesse Williams was.

We'll see what Quinn and Co can do for his weaknesses and how competition molds his strengths, and what he might become down the road.

Perfect pick to stash on a PS for a couple years as well.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2pv5uo90 said:
Sherman also had a super raw college reel. Far more raw than what I saw in Staten's cut-up, which isn't even that bad. You guys were expecting a small school DT to dominate BYU by himself and then be available in the 5th round? Funny.

What those guys have in common is that they have special tools that Seattle thought it could work with. Staten's physical profile was intriguing enough for several NFL teams to bring him in for a visit prior to the draft. Think of Luke Willson. He was a guy who couldn't even get on the field for Rice. However, he had ton of NFL-level tools and the intangibles to match. That pick is looking pretty dang good right now.

The posts that align with this comment are the only posts that have any connection to reality.

We basically have 80% of our starters figured out...all of the new faces in camp this year will be evaluated, high-graded, and managed accordingly. The guys that work out will eventually replace our non-core assets in the event that we lose guys via free agency or other means. Staten will most likely see limited action for probably 2 yrs...IF he even makes the 53 instead of the PS. Get him into camp, see what his skillset is at this point, evaluate his potential, and "coach him up" as Pete says so often.

Seafan

Reaction score
Staten has a chance at the 53 but most likely the PS. A lot of players are fighting for a few spots. That's a good thing.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Cherrington did not look this fit and muscular at this time last year. Clearly he's done well with the offseason including the MMA work.

tempRM4_1903-2--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Latest posts