The one thing you think Hawks must improve on to rePete

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
What is the one area of the team or aspect of their game you believe the Seahawks need to be better at in order to get another championship (you only get one)? How do they go about that?

For me it's a pretty easy answer: they need to score more TDs in the red zone and settle for FGs less often. I just re-watched the season highlight Blu-ray and our guys could've put the NFCCG away with just one TD after either of the 2 turnovers by Krapperdink in the 4th quarter making The Tip unnecessary. The Owl could've been put away well before Malcom's pick 6 or Percy's KO return (depending on your perspective) as well with a couple of TDs rather than FGs early on.

So how do they get better in the RZ? Well for me it's a twofold answer. Number one, the o-line blocking needs to improve giving Russ more time and Beast more room. Russ having more experience is going to help too but all the experience in the world won't help if he doesn't have a bit more time. And number 2, we need to draft a tall WR that can get open and/or open up the routes for everyone else (TEs!). Pretty simple really, definitely not rocket science. A healthy Percy could help as well since he will demand a lot of attention wherever he goes.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":38ap2cxo said:
What is the one area of the team or aspect of their game you believe the Seahawks need to be better at in order to get another championship (you only get one)? How do they go about that?

For me it's a pretty easy answer: they need to score more TDs in the red zone and settle for FGs less often. I just re-watched the season highlight Blu-ray and our guys could've put the NFCCG away with just one TD after either of the 2 turnovers by Krapperdink in the 4th quarter making The Tip unnecessary. The Owl could've been put away well before Malcom's pick 6 or Percy's KO return (depending on your perspective) as well with a couple of TDs rather than FGs early on.

So how do they get better in the RZ? Well for me it's a twofold answer. Number one, the o-line blocking needs to improve giving Russ more time and Beast more room. Russ having more experience is going to help too but all the experience in the world won't help if he doesn't have a bit more time. And number 2, we need to draft a tall WR that can get open and/or open up the routes for everyone else (TEs!). Pretty simple really, definitely not rocket science. A healthy Percy could help as well since he will demand a lot of attention wherever he goes.

Improvements arent necessary. Id say maintaining the status quo is all thats important, as obviously, they won last year. You can win a Championship (obviously) doing exactly what they did last season.

niveky

Reaction score
BlueBlood":142abqh6 said:
hawksfansinceday1":142abqh6 said:

Improvements arent necessary. Id say maintaining the status quo is all thats important, as obviously, they won last year. You can win a Championship (obviously) doing exactly what they did last season.

that's not really true. Improvements are always necessary. However, 'improvements' don't have to come from roster additions. If they are going to basically stand pat and go with draft picks and possible fa bargains as the off season goes on, they may still make improvements to the roster if they continue to evaluate talent like they have so far to plug and play into the seahawks schemes. The biggest way they will improve is to further refine and tweak what the defense/offense is going to do. I don't see them really changing up the defense too much. I figure they will keep it simple, like they have been and make sure they are coaching the hell out of just playing fundamentally sound football and creating turnovers. On offense I am sure there will be a lot more time to play with what they will do now that they have had a chance to see what Harvin has done to change the offense in his limited opportunities. Depending on what other cogs they bring in to the offense may change a bit of how it will go. This will be another year for them under Bevell's system and to refine everything there as well.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Less penalties would be an easy thing to improve next year:) Oh that and I would like them improve at not getting suspended for using drugs or criminal activities.

mort

Reaction score
FO knows it's not stagnate, but elevate, compete and keep finding those diamonds in the rough. In as much status quo.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Our OFFEN-sieve line---Upgrade Pass Protection, and give Russell Wilson a little more time to dissect Defenses, and in turn, will give Receivers/TE's time to get open.
Pass set's up the Run game, and the Run game set's up the pass, so just having an extra Second or two will fix a lot of Red Zone woes.
Defenses will get caught in more PI's, and Defensive holding when Russell is freed up from the instant pressure on almost every single snap.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
I agree OP. Red zone offense was very frustrating. They were ranked 14th in red zone efficiency.... Definitely something that could improve.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Not losing your Pro Bowl left tackle, Pro Bowl center and starting right tackle to injury would be a good place to start.

Ruminator

Reaction score
OL. Not necessarily to repeat, because RW is that good, but it is in almost-dire need of improvement in and of itself. Two reasons: 1) the vast majority of QBs would have had a miserable time behind it, and 2) it has prevented RW from being able to fully showcase what he's really capable of much of the time, and while players of every position on any team must "make do" with their respective situations and teammates, it is unfair to expect RW to continue the Houdini escape artist act every other down.

I'm optimistic the 2014 edition of our OL will be a bit more staunch than the 2013 version. Nothing to write home about, but noticeably better.

Anthony!

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2nwr2k8s said:
hawksfansinceday1":2nwr2k8s said:

Totally disagree, first with FA you cannot maintain the status quo, send we were lucky last year RW did not get hurt to the point of missing games. I agree with the OP, we need to get better at o-line and a big WR. The SB winning team that stands pat is the team that looses next season. Always look to get better.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Consistency on O line and more aggressive playcalling like in the SBowl. We've been able to protect the ball all season by running it so much and winning it close. This year we can't be sitting on the ball and too often settling for 3 as teams are reloading to play our game. Lynch is beast but help him by utilizing the many talents around him rather than running him straight into a brick wall for half the time. Let DBev and Russ work together on playcalling and draft a good guard please.

kobebryant

Reaction score
More Percy (thought that was no ones fault) , introduce Michael to the offense. Jab with Lynch, Jab with Lynch ... then boom Christine uppercut.

Its so exciting that they won a Super Bowl with that kind of explosiveness left in the holster.

The defense needs to get a little meaner and more physical, they looked a little soft down the stretch.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
It's not about a repeat for me, although it would be nice. It's about maintaining a long window of Super Bowl opportunities.

For me it's a big bodied WR. Not one that's deep route only, but one that can play a little of RW's sandlot ball when he gets pressured and has the power to catch contested jump balls. Defenses are going to try their best to keep RW contained in the pocket and bring interior pressure in his face, in spite of the consequences of Lynch and Percy Harvin running amok. Wilson needs a quick, trusted bail out when the DL is breathing down his neck.

I'd like to say a better OL would help more with this problem, but Cable is going his own way. The fact we run just about the simplest passing offense in the NFL means we need an outside presence that can just break DBs in half if they can't beat them with speed.

formido

Reaction score
Biggest (and most likely) change from last year that would aid a repeat is Harvin not missing most of the season.

themunn

Reaction score
Agree with the OP. Red zone scoring is a must. We were 14th in the league in RZ scoring %age last season, whilst that is marginally better than in 2012, (16th) our scoring percentage at home fell significantly (6th to 20th). That is compounded with the fact that we had more scoring opportunities in 2012 also.

Offensive production has to improve, at least to take some pressure off the defense, who played extremely well in so many games to keep us in them, but again had to come up big in games to win them for us. There's only so often you can keep it up