anyone find it ironic bennett/tate

Status
Not open for further replies.

niveky

Reaction score
Tate had the initial comments in reference to possibly a bit of a home town discount and bennett maintained business and family yadayadayada the whole time and it looks like it went the other way with both of them.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Yes, and I posted that very thing in a different thread earlier today :lol:

BamKam

Reaction score
The problem is people looked way too hard into Goldens comment and blew it out of proportion. The guy was still on cloud 9 because of the Super Bowl win a couple days before and put on the spot. He didn't come out himself and say how much he wanted to stay for a hometown discount. He probably regrets not just saying no but he gave an answer people wanted to hear.

Bennett also never said he wouldn't take less money, he just wanted to make sure he got what he deserved.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Sad day for Tate 12th fans. I don't blame Tate for wanting to showcase himself in a pass first offense alongside the best WR. He can finally prove himself a top WR by gaining 1000 yds with single coverage and maybe get probowl consideration alongside Megatron. He has the talent, toughness and heart.
Best of luck Golden Man.

sutz

Reaction score
In the end, Bennett is playing where he always wanted to. We drafted him first, and even though we cut him later, he always said he wanted to be here.

Never heard that strong of sentiment from Golden. In terms of "good for the team" yeah, we hung on to the right guy....but I'll miss GT, too.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Weird comments by Tate about "run first." I have a sneaking suspicion that our offense is going to open up a bit more in the following seasons. I think the Willson and Harvin signings demonstrate this possibility. I do not believe we will ever go pass first offense, but I bet we will see some more pass to set up the run play calling. Especially with improved play in the trenches on the offensive side of the ball. Case in point, Wilson destroyed Denver with the slant patterns and long crossing routes. Just the threat of Harvin on that fly sweep after two large gains allowed Lynch to gain 5+ yards on his first carry faking that same fly sweep to Harvin.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3m3mtjqn said:
Yes, and I posted that very thing in a different thread earlier today :lol:
And I posted it the day before and got ridiculed for it.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Nah - I think the Hawks were committed to keeping Bennett whereas I think the offer the gave Tate was way lower than what the Lions offered him.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1xp8aa1m said:
Nah - I think the Hawks were committed to keeping Bennett whereas I think the offer the gave Tate was way lower than what the Lions offered him.

Yeah I would be surprised of the Hawks offer was over $20 million total for Tate.

kearly

Reaction score
Pretty simple to explain. Seattle needed to keep Bennett. Tate, though we love him and he's awesome, was just an accessory here. It's not like the Lions blew the doors off to steal Tate away from us.

nsport

Reaction score
But Tate's deal is above market value. There's nowhere else he would have earned that dough, and Detroit desperately needed a seasoned WR. He's going to the perfect spot to earn his cabbage - protected by Megatron and a good TE - PR duties - $20k will buy you a city block in that city. Shoot he can buy a whole neighborhood and put a moat around it with gators and such. :)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tate got 8M a year? He probably would have taken 7.5M to stay here, but from what I've read we weren't willing to go over 5-6M per year.

So that's not a home town discount, that's going out of business discount.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Tate got an offer he couldn't turn down and he has a ring so there's no reason not to grab the cash. Hometown discount didn't even come into play. I really liked Tate, but the Lions overpaid big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.