With all the Defensive fireworks, the Offense Rocked

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
We all witnessed a defensive masterpiece this Superbowl but very little really was given to just how darn efficient the Offense was. They went 7-12 on 3rd down and that is deceptive because they were going for it in the 4th qtr. They went 6.2 yrds per play.

Russell was an assassin in this game and showed the world what we all see, that nothing is too big for him.

RW 18-of-25 passing, 206 yards, two TDs; three carries, 26 yards, 123.1 rating

ML- 15 carries, 39 yards, one TD

PH- Two carries, 45 yards; one catch, five yards; one kickoff return, 87 yards, one TD

ADB- Five catches, 66 yards, one TD

Chop Chop- Four catches, 65 yards, one TD

Golden- Three catches, 17 yards (one beautiful tippy toe)

Time of possession - 31:53

Lets hope we get back to this type of production next year and this team willl be lights out.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
When Harvin is in the lineup, the Offense works fine. The problem was that he wasn't in the lineup for the whole year, and we saw the Offense struggle because of it. If he is on the field next year, this is the production we can expect to see.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Harvin certainly opened some things up, but I'm pretty sure Russell would've shredded that secondary without him. Percy wasn't even on the field for a lot of the big plays.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Rosterbating over Harvin feels like deja vu all over again from last off season. Here's hoping it goes as planned this time! I fully expect the running game to be insane next year. Something similar to Philly's numbers this year, 160 ypg at a 5.1 clip.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2h84mlx2 said:
When Harvin is in the lineup, the Offense works fine. The problem was that he wasn't in the lineup for the whole year, and we saw the Offense struggle because of it. If he is on the field next year, this is the production we can expect to see.

I love Harvin and what he can do to put or offense over the top, but our struggles offensively coincided with playing some of the best defenses in the league. This isn't just a coincidence. People forget that we were in the top 10 (number 8 tie with Green Bay) for scoring while we played many of the top defenses including:

#2 Carolina
#3 San Francisco (Twice)
#4 New Orleans
#7 Arizona (Twice)
#9 Indianapolis

Look at the defenses from the teams where we lost (#3, #7 and #9)

Our offense was also handcuffed at times when we had the lead as Pete liked to play more ball control and less risk when playing from the lead.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DavidSeven":12qr7am6 said:
Harvin certainly opened some things up, but I'm pretty sure Russell would've shredded that secondary without him. Percy wasn't even on the field for a lot of the big plays.

True, the Broncos were the lowest-ranked D we had played in months.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The Hawks scored on average 26.1 points/game during the regular season.

Assuming Percy is healthy for at least 14 games, I expect the Hawks scoring average to increase to 30 points/game... likely to #2 or #3 in the league.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Harvin only saw half the number of snaps that Tate and Baldwin saw in the Super Bowl. Even when he wasn't on the field, our offense was working at a fine level.

I'm hoping and praying that the improved play calling we saw in the Super Bowl even when Harvin was not on the field becomes a regular occurrence going forward. We'll see.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Russell Wilson
Average Rank of Defenses faced in playoffs: 9.33
Playoff Passer Rating: 101.6

Phil Rivers
Average Rank of Defenses faced in playoffs: 11.0
Playoff Passer Rating: 116.9

Peyton Manning
Average Rank of Defenses faced in playoffs: 16.66
Playoff Passer Rating: 94.2

Andrew Luck
Average Rank of Defenses faced in playoffs: 25.0
Playoff Passer Rating: 76.4

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2cb021lq said:
Harvin only saw half the number of snaps that Tate and Baldwin saw in the Super Bowl. Even when he wasn't on the field, our offense was working at a fine level.

I'm hoping and praying that the improved play calling we saw in the Super Bowl even when Harvin was not on the field becomes a regular occurrence going forward. We'll see.

I'll concede that the play calling in reg season could have a been better at times, but it's a much different animal to attack if the Broncos had a front seven like say the Niners. Many of those crossing routes wouldn't have been open, and they would have contained Russell much better, so you take what you are given.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1hoo0mcn said:
RolandDeschain":1hoo0mcn said:

I'll concede that the play calling in reg season could have a been better at times, but it's a much different animal to attack if the Broncos had a front seven like say the Niners. Many of those crossing routes wouldn't have been open, and they would have contained Russell much better, so you take what you are given.
I'm not asking the world, here. Even running all the same plays in the same order would be more effective if we mixed up pre-snap formations a lot more. Every defense in the NFL knows we're running 99 times out of 100 if Lynch is lined up in the I formation.

OP
OP
EntiatHawk

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I felt this was one of the best game the Offensive played the whole season. Being that we were honed playing some of the most disruptive defenses coming in it seems we were art ease with Denver. I looking forward to a little more constancy fromt he offense next year. I thought we would be closer to 30 points a game this year but the line injuries, Rice's injury sort of derailed it a bit.

I think a red zone WR is needed. Rice gave us that so we need to get another to go along with Chop Chop.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2p2tz56k said:
HawKnPeppa":2p2tz56k said:
RolandDeschain":2p2tz56k said:

I'm not asking the world, here. Even running all the same plays in the same order would be more effective if we mixed up pre-snap formations a lot more. Every defense in the NFL knows we're running 99 times out of 100 if Lynch is lined up in the I formation.

I agree, but I don't see it as a formation issue so much. We do run better from the I formation. It doesn't give us the long runs, but it does get us more consistent gains. Look at the Lynch TD in the Super Bowl, if I remember correctly, he was the lone back the first attempt to run it in and came up short, then they put MRob out there and they busted it through. What I think will keep defenses on it's toes in these I formation plays is to let Wilson keep it once or twice a game. Defenses will have to stop keying in on Lynch and it will help open it up a little.

I do wonder though if his shoulder injury or our Line injuries are why we kind of got out of getting in a few Wilson runs in every game (designed runs, not his scramble drill runs).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Kid, I think you missed my point. I want to see more passing out of the I formation. More randomness. Watch Patriots tape to see what I mean. We're absurdly predictable based on our formations.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
The offense struggled in the last quarter of the season for sure but they did very well the rest of the time. Remember we went 13-3 and not all that was defense. Is our offense a fire works show? No, but it is solid and scores points far more often than not.

The offense does not get enough of the credit for the SB win. Take away the special team and defensive TD's and we still would have won the game by 3 touchdowns and they kept Manning off the field.