Thoughts and observations on the Chiefs game

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
It's a day later than I wanted to post this. Here you go for those wanting another perspective on the loss.

The offense played good enough to win, yet failed to capitalize in the big moments. Lynch had a hell of a game. Outside of a couple crappy individual blocks, the offensive line played some good ball against a very good defensive line in both pass and run plays. Okung and Unger deserved special attention for their game with Okung having perhaps his best game in pass pro this year. The loss of Unger will be felt. It's no coincidence Lynch had his best two games with Max back in the lineup. However, I think the offensive line is playing confident and can overcome this.

Wilson had a typical game for him this season. He made some plays with his feet and protected the ball well. He was a Kearse TD drop away from having a great stat line for the day. Still, he's not making the big plays we expect Wilson making in the passing game.

Defense played horrible. Outside of Thomas, nobody had a good game. What's worst is that we lacked our typical physicality. Both the defensive line and linebacker struggled to get off blocks and everybody seemed to forget how to tackle. This team has the talent all-around to still be good, but if they can't tackle then they're going to be in a tough position, facing hard to predict short down and distances.

It’s hard to explain why, but Russell Wilson might have more knocked down passes at the line of scrimmage this season than he has had his first two years combined. Quarterbacks at every height get passes blocked, but it’s still frustrating seeing an easy 3rd and 2 conversion on the opening drive fall incomplete because of this.

Michael Bennett had a bad, bad game against the run. He recorded zero tackles and was constantly pushed around. Bennett is known for an unorthodox style that creates some big plays, but with the Dline struggling with personnel, I wonder if that style of play hurts the team more than helps. The added reps per game cannot be helping either.

Demarcus Dobbs (#95) stood out to me a few times in a good way. He plays hard, he plays aggressive, and he has a quick first step. He’s been a pleasant surprise his first two games on the roster.

Carroll calling Malcolm Smith “rusty” was a pleasant way of saying it. Smith struggled throughout the game missing tackles and getting handled easily by the Oline. Smith hasn’t really had a game this year where he stood out. At this point, I’d rather KPL be in the starting lineup if Wagner can’t go this week.

Before the snap with Christine Michaels in the backfield, Wilson looked to audible the play. Cmike slapped his hands together in frustration while shifting formation. As I guessed correctly watching the game live, the play ended up being a pass, given away by Cmike’s reaction of what was likely an audible from run to pass. Cmike also gave a weak ass attempt on the pass block (also out of frustration?). Combine this with his other lash-out after the botched QB-Center exchange against the Panthers where he was supposed to get the ball, I’m starting to think Cmike has an attitude problem which could explain part of the reason he hasn’t overtaken Turbin as the backup RB.

Luke Willson had one of his best full game of the season despite playing limited snaps because of injury. Most of his yardage came on a smart play on a Wilson scramble and he showed some catching radius on an above his head throw that he’s had trouble with in the past. He’ll need to keep that up.

Nobody blocks like Sweezy. He’s strong, extremely mobile, and blocks through the whistle, but he’s good for 1 or 2 bad whiffs per game. Granted he went against a talented defensive tackle, he was responsible for both a sack and pressure on Wilson in that last two-minute drive that essentially doomed the series.

Britt continues to show rookie mistakes. He's very hit and miss in pass pro. Cable/Bevell is playing it smart keeping Gilliam in as an extra blocker. On a picture below, I show where one bad play from britt resulted in a huge missed play

I’ve been impressed with Paul Richardson. He hasn’t been given much opportunity yet has done everything that’s been asked of him. His effort in run blocking is noticeable and he’s caught almost everything thrown at him. I think it’s time Russell Wilson starts looking at him more as his #2 receiver after ADB. He’s getting open on routes but not getting the consistent targets from his QB yet.

An official call I disagreed with that affected the game: 2nd quarter 0:22, at the 9 yard line, Wilson is called for intentional grounding:

“Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.”
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/intentionalgrounding

IMO, Wilson was not under the pressure you associate with intentional grounding. The pass was simply poor miscommunication with his receiver on a corner route his receiver ran a post route. The play had a defensive illegal use of hands on the defense which would have moved the ball to the 5 yard line with 2 or 3 plays to score a TD.

Ricardo Lockette’s action on the PR was as unprofessional as it gets. The only reason the Chief player initiated the shove was because Lockette was hanging on to the Chief’s return man by the foot, refusing to let go seconds after the play was dead. The shove on Lockette was warranted.

Earl Thomas had an impactful game. He was a part of the hit on the first Chief’s fumble and alone caused the second fumble.

Will Tukuafu at defensive end sighting! He actually did well on the play, too. I’m not sure how many other snaps he took, but he’s officially a two-way player.

I know fans didn’t like the 4th and 1 run play call towards the end of the game with Patrick Lewis starting at center, but I have no problem with it. The hawks were running through the two-hole. Lewis and Bailey double blocked Chief’s DT Dontari Poe, relying on Sweezy to win the 1-on-1 battle against the defensive end. You expect Sweezy to win that battle. Unfortunately he didn’t this time, getting stonewalled and pushed aside. Okung also could have helped with a better block on his man.

Things I’m confused with:

Two minute drive play calls – Bevell had a play call that moved the pocket for Wilson (unsuccessful), but he also ran a few plays forcing Wilson to sit in the pocket and make throws deep down field. This is not Wilson’s strength. The only thing I can come up with is that it’s designed to let Wilson pick up yards with his feet.

Things I’m realizing:

The deep, timing passing game is not part of Wilson’s game right now. He had multiple opportunities to complete throws to receivers down field that he’s either not seeing or unwilling to make. Part of the reason, imo, is happy feet. He’s peppering his feet in the pocket as if he’s looking to scramble instead of standing tall, with quiet feet. It’s a large reason why he makes the amazing moves within the pocket he does, but I think it’s hurting his timing on the deep routes when having to reset his feet and shoulders.

Lynch and the running game is keeping this offense alive.

The receiving/tight end group is below average and probably won’t get much better, outside of the two rookies improving slightly. Tony Moeaki could be the wild card in this group. He’s getting a step on the defenders in pass routes but its undetermined if he has the catching ability to deserve the targets.

Plays worth noting:

The deep-in route to Prich, top of the picture, is there if Wilson steps up into the pocket
Dlg40p

Another example of a deep timing route (To Kearse) that can be completed, middle of picture
208a2qc

A reminder that the difference between a huge play and a missed play is all five offensive linemen doing their job. Britt gives up pressure forcing Wilson to scramble.
28s4pwn

The TD pass to Baldwin: a slant by the #1 (Norwood), corner by the #2 (Baldwin), and post by the #3 (Kearse). I think Pehawk thought this was an all-corner play call, so I wanted to share this for him and others.
28v4vtz