How often does the team with the "storyline" lose the SB?

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
Finishing up some work i've had the TV on NFL network.
All they have talked about is:
Broncos needing to win for Peytons 2nd ring and his "legacy".
Champ waiting 15 years to get here, Broncos need to win so his career can be "complete" and he can retire hoisting the trophy.
Their coach, losing in the SB as an assistant coach, losing in the SB as the Panthers head coach, and earlier this season collapsing and having to come back from all the health issues.

How often do teams with the "Fairy tale ending" type story line, how often do they lose in the Superbowl?
Makes me think of the Saints, how they were doing it for their city who was a few years from Katrina.
The Colts vs the Bears, trying to get Manning a ring to get the " chokes in the post season" monkey off his back.
The 05 Steelers * ugh, sorry* trying to get the refs a ring..i mean the bus..
And even just last year the Ravens trying to send Ray Lewis out with a superbowl win.

No im not saying anything about a fix or anything along those lines.
But i cant think of a time where the "fairy tale" team has lost.
And it seems like the media is doing their hardest to make it the Good guys vs the bad guys.

OP
OP
S

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
I still consider them in the "bad guy" side. I remember the build up for that game being the under dogs who came so close to beating them once.

C-Hawkin

Reaction score
The Bus (Bettis) was the storyline our last time, let's hope we get the same treatment they did.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
I think Seattle has the storyline that nobody's talking about. Former AFC Team, now NFC Team.

In the NFCCC, they had to defeat the bully of their NFC division.

Now, in the SB, they have to defeat the bully of their former AFC division.

Broncs are white middle America, the power base of the world.

Seahawks are coastal urban, the underprivileged, plus many of these men are castoffs with inspiring stories that nobody cares to hear but true fans.

To me, this season looks like a movie along the lines of Hoosiers or Miracle.

We got this.

djb28

Reaction score
We have a storyline too. Waiting since 1976 to win a Super bowl.

chihawk

Reaction score
Based on the topic title I thought you were referring to the Seahawks having the storyline. Other than Manning, I'm not hearing much talk about the Broncos (other than that they are favorites and most people pick them). Almost all the person storylines I'm hearing are on the the Seahawks side....Sherman, Lynch and the media, RW, Carroll, etc. I'm in Chicago (if that matters).

Tokadub

Reaction score
It's crazy how many people are now picking the Broncos. Media blow up like no tomorrow. They are the little darling child who deserves to win.

Mid season don't you guys remember Seahawks were favored to win Super Bowl in the little fan polls on ESPN? Now the media literally bends over backwards to get all over the Broncos sack and suddenly the Broncos are like 67% favorites.

It's either a straight up deception to make mad money on the Seahawks in the Super Bowl or we are going to get robbed like the last time.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":ge5dba1z said:
... with Kaepernick giving Manning "advice" on how to exploit us...
I imagine Peyton trying not to laugh as Kap tells him to use his legs when he reads man coverage, or to target Sherman in one on one coverage, especially on fades...

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":dr1mxehk said:
I understand what Shady is saying...

Today it got out of hand, with Irvin giving an "inspiration speech" to the Broncos... with Kaepernick giving Manning "advice" on how to exploit us... (by the way Kaep is forever a bitch in my book)

Kaepernick: "Yeah, man, if the first read isn't open just use your wheels and take off running. Word."

Manning: "Uh, yeah....thanks Colin."

Laloosh

Reaction score
Lot of people don't think defense is as important as it used to be. Hopefully our guys are about to shock the world... well, shock everyone but SEA fans. We know what's up.

Polaris

Reaction score
Crabhawk":bkboelq0 said:
The_Z_Man":bkboelq0 said:
... with Kaepernick giving Manning "advice" on how to exploit us...
I imagine Peyton trying not to laugh as Kap tells him to use his legs when he reads man coverage, or to target Sherman in one on one coverage, especially on fades...

Kaepernick: If you get Sherm on one on one coverage, just float it deep. Sherm will get burned. Trust me.

Peyton: Um riiight.......

Jac

Reaction score
BTW, it's definitely the Peyton storyline and how this helps with his legacy, which is almost entirely related to his time with Indy (not with Denver). I know Denver fans won't care if they win--and we live in an era of free agency--but when that free agent happens to be perhaps the best QB ever (and that's almost the sole reason you're winning playoff games), it just seems really cheap. Like congratulations, Elway...you were in the right place at the right time. You built an average roster and were in the right spot for Manning, who happened to be available because of a "once in a lifetime" convergence of events.

Hawksalot4277

Reaction score
Tokadub":3ssghmud said:
It's crazy how many people are now picking the Broncos. Media blow up like no tomorrow. They are the little darling child who deserves to win.

Mid season don't you guys remember Seahawks were favored to win Super Bowl in the little fan polls on ESPN? Now the media literally bends over backwards to get all over the Broncos sack and suddenly the Broncos are like 67% favorites.

It's either a straight up deception to make mad money on the Seahawks in the Super Bowl or we are going to get robbed like the last time.

Losing fair and square isn't possible?

Wartooth

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me the most is the way the media keeps openly saying Peyton deserves to win this game.
Maybe I'm paranoid, but it is starting to sound kinda' familiar...Like the Jerome Bettis deserved a ring thing!

Hawksalot4277

Reaction score
Jac":2lzefwn5 said:
BTW, it's definitely the Peyton storyline and how this helps with his legacy, which is almost entirely related to his time with Indy (not with Denver). I know Denver fans won't care if they win--and we live in an era of free agency--but when that free agent happens to be perhaps the best QB ever (and that's almost the sole reason you're winning playoff games), it just seems really cheap. Like congratulations, Elway...you were in the right place at the right time. You built an average roster and were in the right spot for Manning, who happened to be available because of a "once in a lifetime" convergence of events.

Sooooo, the better play would have been to pass on Manning and keep Tebow? And in case you've forgotten, your team didn't draft Beast Mode, and he's most of your offense and the biggest reason I know a lot of people think Seattle will win Sunday. But sure, all your stars are home grown.

Hawksalot4277

Reaction score
Jac":5jdjthbk said:

Average? Clady, Thomas, Thomas, Welker, Vasquez, Franklin, Decker, Moreno, DRC, Wolfe, Vickerson, Knighton, Champ, Miller and Trevathon are average? Not an average player in that bunch.

Polaris

Reaction score
Hawksalot4277":1nnqxw9d said:
Jac":1nnqxw9d said:

Sooooo, the better play would have been to pass on Manning and keep Tebow? And in case you've forgotten, your team didn't draft Beast Mode, and he's most of your offense and the biggest reason I know a lot of people think Seattle will win Sunday. But sure, all your stars are home grown.

I think you're being a trace sensitive here. Of course you take Peyton if he wants to come to your team. It's not like we didn't try ourselves. That said, you have to take the good with the bad. Sure in Seattle's case Lynch was traded for (although Schneider wanted him when Lynch was drafted and Schneider was still at Green Bay), but Seattle was able to pretty much home grow most of the team and it's identity (which revolves at least as much around the defense as it does around the running game). I also note that Lynch is not in fact "most" of Seattle's offense although he's an essential part.

Can you at least admit that without Peyton, Denver is at best a 7-9 team? Denver at least from an outsiders PoV is a team that was early in a rebuilding phase that got halted with a rush of 30-something short term free agents all designed to support Peyton in an effort to get a ring in the next couple of years. This obviously has worked to this point, but I see no way it's sustainable.

Hawksalot4277

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2ztw028s said:
I understand what Shady is saying...

Today it got out of hand, with Irvin giving an "inspiration speech" to the Broncos... with Kaepernick giving Manning "advice" on how to exploit us... (by the way Kaep is forever a bitch in my book)

Kaepernick: Hey Peyton, it's Kap, you got a sec man, I wanna give you some advice on playing that Seattle D.

Manning: I'm sorry, who is this?

Kaepernick: Kap man, Colin Kaepernick.

Manning: annnnnd you play football? Sorry, the name doesn't ring any bells.