Cable to interview with the Lions

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
The Detroit Free Press reports the Lions have interest in Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable for their head-coaching vacancy.

Polaris

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":26h96tb2 said:
The Detroit Free Press reports the Lions have interest in Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable for their head-coaching vacancy.

Not a surpise. Cable has head coaching success and has had three years experience with an elite program.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Doesnt really seem a great fit with their talent pool..but maybe they are looking to re-tool.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Not that I'm an anti-Tom Cable person, because I'm not, but losing him wouldn't devastate me. Many of his guys have failed to develop here (namely Carpenter and Moffitt - 1st and 3rd rounders that he hand-picked) and the Hawks O-line often looks woefully unprepared for the blitz packages that it sees. The PFF grades speak for themselves, and it's been a year over year trend. Cable is a good OL coach, but he's not the deity that many make him out to be.

Polaris

Reaction score
Vetamur":dglzuf94 said:
Doesnt really seem a great fit with their talent pool..but maybe they are looking to re-tool.

I agree, but I think the Ford family is looking for someone:

1) With Head Coaching experience
2) From a successful program

If I had to guess, the idea is that such a person could translate that experience and change the undisciplined culture of the Lions. Personally I think they're whistling in the dark....but this is the lions.....

Vetamur

Reaction score
I think they should take a long, hard look at Zorn. Stafford needs someone to properly work with him. At least for their QB coach, maybe OC.. with an experienced DC maybe even a HC shot again.

But I agree, more likely they are looking for an experienced person with a rep for consistency and a steady hand.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't want to turn this into an Anti-Cable thread because I do believe Cable is a great talent with OL but for whatever reason he's fallen short of my personal expectations this year. There's been highlights no doubt, and certainly losing your tackles for any length of time is never going to help but I really expected our OL to be a strength by now, not a detriment, and quite frankly he needs to shoulder much of the blame.

Polaris

Reaction score
Barthawk":2h1h8hn6 said:
i don't see anywhere in this report that an interview is imminent.

By rule it has to be done either this week or after Seattle is elminated from the playoffs (likely after the Superb Owl).

Seeker

Reaction score
Cable would be the perfect guy to take that pack of goons and turn them into actual tough guys.

Exittium

Reaction score
I'll be honest I don't like any of it (minus bevell)... at this point it feels as if we're being poached.. I'm tired of ALL Seattle teams being the one who finally gets going on a rolls, guys's names start getting out there for being good and we freely give them out and then we're left back at square one.. that's just my opinion though

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":ddxbuo6v said:
He's probably selling them on moving Suh to offensive guard.

His pitch is going to be...sure, with Suh and Fairley you might have the best defensive tackle tandem in the league, but I can turn them into a top-28 guard tandem.

chris98251

Reaction score

Will I

Reaction score
Here's this from twitter....

@RapSheet: .@davebirkett says #Lions have interest in #Seahawks assistant HS Tom Cable. They definitely do. DET doing background work on him now

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This would be a tough loss for me. As a former offensive lineman I like Tom Cable a lot. I think he's done a good job of managing the injuries on the O-Line this year.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
If Cable wants to commit coaching suicide then he will choose to take the job. Nothing is good in Detroit as long as the Fords own the team. Couldn't win any titles with Barry Sanders or Calvin Johnson. Before the Fords bought them, the did win 2 NFL championships before the SB was invented though. Just sayin....

Hawks46

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3dfm2hzx said:
Not that I'm an anti-Tom Cable person, because I'm not, but losing him wouldn't devastate me. Many of his guys have failed to develop here (namely Carpenter and Moffitt - 1st and 3rd rounders that he hand-picked) and the Hawks O-line often looks woefully unprepared for the blitz packages that it sees. The PFF grades speak for themselves, and it's been a year over year trend. Cable is a good OL coach, but he's not the deity that many make him out to be.

I'd agree. I think the OL overacheived last year, and this year they seem to be underachieving. Everything seems to be regressing to the mean, and I honestly don't think he's any better than Solari, whom we let go. Coincedentally, Solari got snapped up by SF, who's OL annually outperforms ours.

I think losing Quinn and maybe even Bevell would hurt more than losing Cable. Also, losing Cable might even be a positive for us; he's the assistant HC here, if he leaves, maybe Pete can offer that position and a pay raise to Quinn to keep him here at least another year.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I've said it before, I love Cable and think he's great at building a top run game. But I don't like the way pass pro is neglected in his system. I also don't like the way they neglect adding top talent because they feel they can coach up some guys to be servicable. Have you ever seen a team rated this high in the league with such a weak o-line? I don't think that I ever have.

Latest posts