Cable to interview with the Lions

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This would be a great hire for Detroit. They are a team that lacks offensive toughness.

Of course, it also means Breno and McQ would end up as Lions.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":1d2e9e72 said:
ImTheScientist":1d2e9e72 said:
The Detroit Free Press reports the Lions have interest in Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable for their head-coaching vacancy.

Post a Link to the story if your going to have a topic like this please.

The only stories I found were the ones linking a choice of 14 candidates, Cable was not on either list.

http://www.freep.com/article/201312...it-lions-nfl-playoff-team-coaching-candidates

Didn't go into twitter feeds.
Exittium":1d2e9e72 said:

Thank you both for linking sources :th2thumbs:

Atradees

Reaction score
I am I the only one who thinks its the best job available in the NFL? Lions have talent everywhere from all those years of high picks..Defensive line, QB, Wide receiver...I take that job in a second.

As for Cable......hmmmm. You are only as good as your latest product. Our Oline is poo poo.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I totally agree. Having a franchise QB already in place alone is the biggest thing and they have all that other great talent to boot. It's crazy to even think how mediocre they've been record-wise with that talent.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This amazes me. The injuries alone this year indicate their is a problem outside the coaching. I love Wilson but his style of play is catastrophic to building and maintaining a solid o-line and will be as long as he continues to hold the ball to long and is forced to scramble all over the back field. When (hopefully not if) Wilson gets better at getting rid of the ball in a normal time frame the line protection will improve. He won't need to scramble around in the back field nearly as much or as long and the injury bug will decrease significantly as well.

I know it is easy to look at the lineman and coaches and say the problem is they are not protecting long enough but you really have to look at what they are being asked to do also and they are being asked to do an absolute ton for a position group.

If Harvin can get and stay healthy we should see an improvement in o-line play simply due to the style of offense he offers. Getting the ball out early and forcing defenses to account for over committing.

I don't truly know how good or bad our line or coach is but I do know they are nit being graded on the same scale as most others in the league by many here.

For the comment about Solari, that is ridiculous. He is working with some of the best o-line talent in the league and Kaep for all his draw backs has been doing a great job of staying in the pocket as long as he can bt even with his O-line he still gets sacked and forced out of the pocket. Solari sucked in Seattle and couldn't develop talent. That has something to do with what he had but it is also a lack of being able to find and develop guys. I would take Cable over solari and day of the week.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
chris98251":1tt6fszg said:
ImTheScientist":1tt6fszg said:
The Detroit Free Press reports the Lions have interest in Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable for their head-coaching vacancy.

The only stories I found were the ones linking a choice of 14 candidates, Cable was not on either list.

http://www.freep.com/article/201312...it-lions-nfl-playoff-team-coaching-candidates

It's on rotoworld. Postings links from an iPad is time consuming.

CANHawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3vtcljal said:
chris98251":3vtcljal said:
ImTheScientist":3vtcljal said:

Because ipads are stupid? It’s a piece of cake on my bb z10.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -tom-cable

chris98251

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3hr1bm49 said:
chris98251":3hr1bm49 said:
ImTheScientist":3hr1bm49 said:

Well sorry about the consumption of time for you, but we have policys about storys and appreciate the links when it involves things of this nature to avoid speculative posts. Yes people have said things or intrepeted things incorrectly in the effort to post it first here.

CANHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":h28fp33q said:
ImTheScientist":h28fp33q said:
chris98251":h28fp33q said:
ImTheScientist":h28fp33q said:

Well sorry about the consumption of time for you, but we have policys about storys and appreciate the links when it involves things of this nature to avoid speculative posts. Yes people have said things or intrepeted things incorrectly in the effort to post it first here.
AND your iPad sucks.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
That's a black hole of coaching misery. No way in the hell would I go there if I had other options.

Atradees

Reaction score
Shane Falco":2tqnceoj said:
I totally agree. Having a franchise QB already in place alone is the biggest thing and they have all that other great talent to boot. It's crazy to even think how mediocre they've been record-wise with that talent.

:th2thumbs:

irocdave

Reaction score
I would hate to see Cable leave. Pete wanted a run game with an O line with attitude. The Hawks have that. How much Cable is responsible for is debatable but Breno is the guy that fits that mold perfectly. Yes, the O line struggles, as do most O lines in the NFL. Cable is also the assistant HC. Does this carry weight / influence with the defensive players? I would suggest yes. Cable breaking the jaw of the Raiders PR guy I would assume goes along way with the players and coaches of the Hawks. If the incident was justified in the players mind then they know this guy is protecting them and understands the pressure on players.

That said, I don't think he will help the Lions. He will instill order and the players will follow him, but he is not an offensive or defensive prodigy. I would rather lose Bevelle or Quin.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Cable w would earn the players respect Detroit and get them to play well.

In disappointed in Cables handling of the oline because i was expecting elite line play considering the resources he was handed and the fact that he has Marshawn for a running back. There have been some extenuating circumstances though so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he should be allowed to pick linemen anymore though.

As far as Solari, like rich says, he was handed an online with what, three first rounders on it? The talent, and experience were already there when he arrived. SF running game has been good for long time and I'm sure part of the reason harbs said yes to SF was the amount of talent already there. Mike Singletary is a poor head coach but the 49ers still threatened teams because their defense and running game were so damn good.

Unlike the situation in SF, the team in Seattle when Pete took over was an absolute disaster. It's no wonder that Jim Mora Jr failed, but he was never more than a mediocre NFL coach.

I don't care if he goes or not because now have the pieces in place and i don't think there would be much drop off.

Uffda

Reaction score
Seems like McDaniels would be a better fit for the Lions I think.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RichNhansom":308qsggt said:
This amazes me. The injuries alone this year indicate their is a problem outside the coaching. I love Wilson but his style of play is catastrophic to building and maintaining a solid o-line and will be as long as he continues to hold the ball to long and is forced to scramble all over the back field. When (hopefully not if) Wilson gets better at getting rid of the ball in a normal time frame the line protection will improve. He won't need to scramble around in the back field nearly as much or as long and the injury bug will decrease significantly as well.

I know it is easy to look at the lineman and coaches and say the problem is they are not protecting long enough but you really have to look at what they are being asked to do also and they are being asked to do an absolute ton for a position group.

If Harvin can get and stay healthy we should see an improvement in o-line play simply due to the style of offense he offers. Getting the ball out early and forcing defenses to account for over committing.

I don't truly know how good or bad our line or coach is but I do know they are nit being graded on the same scale as most others in the league by many here.

For the comment about Solari, that is ridiculous. He is working with some of the best o-line talent in the league and Kaep for all his draw backs has been doing a great job of staying in the pocket as long as he can bt even with his O-line he still gets sacked and forced out of the pocket. Solari sucked in Seattle and couldn't develop talent. That has something to do with what he had but it is also a lack of being able to find and develop guys. I would take Cable over solari and day of the week.

Wow, this is a gem. So I suppose it's Wilson's fault that these guys can't run block either? You are acting like the OL's job totally changes with a mobile QB when the only thing they're asked to do is stick with their blocks longer. In the end, it doesn't matter anyway because they haven't been able to consistently give him more than 2 seconds before he HAS to run. Is it also Wilson's fault when he drops back and instantly has interior rushers in his face, or was chased out of the pocket non-stop when Ginger was at LT?

Then your post turns around and tries to make that point that the only reason Solari is good is because of his talent. I submit that, if the talent was better on our OL, there would be better pass pro and better run blocking, so Russell wouldn't feel the need to scramble so often...yeah, genius, I know. What also might help is if we had some larger targets that get open more often, but what can you do.

I will agree that the Cable bashing goes a bit far, but I'm not going to put the blame for poor OL performance on Russell Wilson, no way, no how. If Wilson extends a play with his feet, I don't even consider that in their grading process. Their performance is very poor, even with those plays thrown out of the equation. The fact that Cable does pretty well with bargain basement material is testament to his coaching ability. Cable should share some kudos for how good our D is, because his ability to work with left overs has allowed Pete to focus more resources on D. But the strength of a Cable OL has never been with pass pro and that's what worries me most. I will treat the draft as a hit/miss proposition (Okung Excluded), especially when considering the highest he was allowed to pick was late 1st round during years when most of good OL talent was already off the board.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":29zxgyo1 said:
RichNhansom":29zxgyo1 said:

Wow, this is a gem. So I suppose it's Wilson's fault that these guys can't run block either? You are acting like the OL's job totally changes with a mobile QB when the only thing they're asked to do is stick with their blocks longer. In the end, it doesn't matter anyway because they haven't been able to consistently give him more than 2 seconds before he HAS to run. Is it also Wilson's fault when he drops back and instantly has interior rushers in his face, or was chased out of the pocket non-stop when Ginger was at LT?

Then your post turns around and tries to make that point that the only reason Solari is good is because of his talent. I submit that, if the talent was better on our OL, there would be better pass pro and better run blocking, so Russell wouldn't feel the need to scramble so often...yeah, genius, I know. What also might help is if we had some larger targets that get open more often, but what can you do.

I will agree that the Cable bashing goes a bit far, but I'm not going to put the blame for poor OL performance on Russell Wilson, no way, no how. If Wilson extends a play with his feet, I don't even consider that in their grading process. Their performance is very poor, even with those plays thrown out of the equation. The fact that Cable does pretty well with bargain basement material is testament to his coaching ability. Cable should share some kudos for how good our D is, because his ability to work with left overs has allowed Pete to focus more resources on D. But the strength of a Cable OL has never been with pass pro and that's what worries me most. I will treat the draft as a hit/miss proposition (Okung Excluded), especially when considering the highest he was allowed to pick was late 1st round during years when most of good OL talent was already off the board.

I'm not bashing Wilson and I am aware that he has had to scramble often due to inept line play at times but most of that is due in part to the injuries and the defenses we have faced this season. I'm not placing all the blame on Wilson either but it is a factor. It's ok to love your QB but acknowledge his style of play can be corrosive to line play. It is a chicken vs egg scenario in some cases. Does he settle better in the pocket with better protection or does the protection improve with less time required to hold blacks that are continuously rotating to follow the scrambling QB?

I expected to see a big improvement this year because even towards the end of last year Wilson was getting much better at trusting the pocket longer as well as improving on his short game but we suffered key injuries early and have ran up against the better half of the leagues defenses all season long. There really hasn't been the opportunity to improve.
By the way Cable was the line coach and then head coach in Oakland but he never had a good QB that would have helped O-line play either. I am pretty sure he had mostly scrubs at WR also. Not sure oakland is the best place to really judge anyone's performance though. It's been shit show there for so long and the only success they have really had of any kind has been when Cable was their coach.

I pointed out that Solari has both talent and a QB that utilizes the pocket. Kaep is also a one read wonder which means when his one read is open he is getting rid of the ball quickly. All those things help the performance of the O-line.

kf3339

Reaction score
Polaris":1br1611i said:
Vetamur":1br1611i said:
Doesnt really seem a great fit with their talent pool..but maybe they are looking to re-tool.

I agree, but I think the Ford family is looking for someone:

1) With Head Coaching experience
2) From a successful program

If I had to guess, the idea is that such a person could translate that experience and change the undisciplined culture of the Lions. Personally I think they're whistling in the dark....but this is the lions.....

I agree about the discipline angle. That more than anything is what that team needs right now. Personally I would not have a problem losing Cable. He done a decent job, but there are many O-Line coaches who can do just as good a job and it might help whoever our OC is to have there own identity.

hawk45

Reaction score
Shane Falco":988pept3 said:
I've said it before, I love Cable and think he's great at building a top run game. But I don't like the way pass pro is neglected in his system. I also don't like the way they neglect adding top talent because they feel they can coach up some guys to be servicable. Have you ever seen a team rated this high in the league with such a weak o-line? I don't think that I ever have.

Boy I think Falco hit it on the head and then some with this post.

I think Cable is able to coach toughness and construct a decent run game out of lower-tier talent. The *idea* is that the effect of the run threat compensates for the fact that the personnel are smaller, less talented (but often quicker) than the linemen selected for other schemes.

During his tenure we've always had an effective running game, but pass blocking has been poor. Also, unlike Pete, Cable does not have the mind-meld connection with JS which translates to getting guys who will come in and rip it up. And when we DO spend draft capital we end up with Moffit and Carpenter.

I wouldn't mind a shift to a more conventional mindset where yes, you still emphasize run blocking, but you don't assume that pass protection will take care of itself with play action. Emphasize more guys who can pass protect, coach that aspect heavily. I would sacrifice some of the run effectiveness for a pass pro that is average.

Cable is one guy though (unlike Bevell) where I do worry about him leaving if we don't have a really good candidate in mind to replace him, and there is a decent chance we do worse. With Cable you know you will get a running game. He's a legitimately talented dude at that aspect.