Bruce Irvin

Ozzy

Reaction score
I haven't the game tape enough to know what the real story is but where has Irvin been? 1 sack in 10 games. I was excited to see what he was going to do in year two and I've been dissapointed. For those who break down the tape has he played well? Terrible?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The move to linebacker has him playing more in coverage than being strictly a pass rusher. He's adapted to the new position decently.

drrew

Reaction score
He's playing a different position. Last season he had 16 tackles, this year he has 40 in five fewer games. I think he's been exactly what the coaching staff hoped for when they made the switch.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Anyone else surprised how good Irvin has been with his coverage skills? Coming out of college and last season we knew him just by the pass rusher but he has impressed me with his coverage a lot.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Bruce played Saftey at the Jr. College level, he knows a little about coverage. Dudes been very good at LB, loves me some Bruce.

getnasty

Reaction score
I wonder if we lost Clem and Bennett in the offseason if moves back to the dline. Oh and he hasn't been bad at LB but for where we drafted him just not enough impact in my opinion.

kf3339

Reaction score
I would like to see him be somewhat more involved in rushing the QB on a more regular basis. Possibly in more blitz schemes to hurry QB throws or get more sacks.

He has been very good in coverage, but you would just hope they aren't pushing that direction so much that he loses that part of his game. As a DE he just wasn't not strong enough, but as a rush linebacker he would be perfect. Perhaps even similar to Clay Mathews who I really wanted in the 2009 draft with us moving down and getting extra picks that year.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Throwdown":479ysz42 said:
How much impact do you need? It's his first year.

He's mediocre this year at best, I think it is a fair question considering how high he was drafted. He is basically a role player as of right now. How many years do you give him to produce.

You say "loves me some Bruce", why do you say this? Because of last year? 8 sacks in a year is producing, this year he really has not done anything.

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2mdi0b0k said:
Throwdown":2mdi0b0k said:

He's mediocre this year at best, I think it is a fair question considering how high he was drafted. He is basically a role player as of right now. How many years do you give him to produce.

You say "loves me some Bruce", why do you say this? Because of last year? 8 sacks in a year is producing, this year he really has not done anything.

Complaining that a guy who moved from passing down rush end to Will linebacker has less sacks is like complaining that Richard Sherman had less receptions at Stanford when he moved from receiver to corner.

Tigwelds1

Reaction score
Are you saying he's mediocre because he is missing assignments or anything in particular? Or because he doesn't have the stat line you want? If you are judging him solely on sack totals and the team isn't using him to bring pressure on the qb then there really is no way for him to live up to your expectations. From what I've seen the team needs him at olb and he has been pretty solid at it. Can't remember too many times getting mad that he has been out of position or whiffed on tackles. I remember in the saints game he had some amazing plays that only a guy with his athletic ability could have made. Just my two cents though

HawkWow

Reaction score
CortezKennedyfan":figpox6p said:
seahawkfreak":figpox6p said:
Throwdown":figpox6p said:

Complaining that a guy who moved from passing down rush end to Will linebacker has less sacks is like complaining that Richard Sherman had less receptions at Stanford when he moved from receiver to corner.

Uh...maybe take a mulligan with that analogy and try another. Head down, eye on the ball.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":140r2uu6 said:
Throwdown":140r2uu6 said:

What. He's a 4-3 linebacker now. What do sacks have to do with his production? He's playing far better this year than he was last year.

Quiz: how many TEs and RBs have burned us in the passing game since Bruce started playing linebacker regularly?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
A position switch always takes some time and Bruce is no different. He has been fine so far, much better than I expected him to be at this point and time.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3oaqve16 said:
Throwdown":3oaqve16 said:

You oughtta watch more football. Irvin has been surprisingly good for his first year in a new position

mjwhitay

Reaction score
HawkWow":zbo8zwsa said:
CortezKennedyfan":zbo8zwsa said:
seahawkfreak":zbo8zwsa said:
Throwdown":zbo8zwsa said:

Uh...maybe take a mulligan with that analogy and try another. Head down, eye on the ball.

Seemed pretty right on to me. Player changes position. Now, stat that used to reflect production at old position doesn't matter any more. Pretty clear and concise to me.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Easier for a LB, of any variety, to get a sack than it is for a corner to get a reception. Receivers get receptions, corners interceptions. Irvin's change, while change, isn't to the other side of the ball. To be clear / concise.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin is doing what he needs to be exactly doing.

Since Bruce has been at LBer, opposing TE's had a considerable drop in production against us and that hasn't really changed since Wright has been out.

Not only that he has been very stellar making tackles in the right flat as well as keeping QBs contained for the most part, he hasn't been getting sacks because he hasn't been getting pass rush snaps, and when he has I've seen him apply pressure with someone else ending up with the sack.

Right now Irvin is a coverage LBer, considering his athleticism + length, he's probably the Seahawks best coverage LBer. With Avril, Bennett, Clemons, and McDonald all sharing the majority of the Pass Rush snaps, Irvin is better used in coverage.

And again imo opinion while I thought he was going to have 12 sacks this year, he's doing everything he needs to be doing to position himself as the LEO of the future.

Taking on blockers, making solid tackles, setting the edge, dropping back into coverage plus his pass rushing ability he got to work on has a rookie. All that will add up into a better player as he continues to make progress.

Nobody thought Bruce would be this far ahead of schedules in terms of making the switch to playing LBer. I remember many thought he would fall flat on his face but he hasn't. And he should only continue to get better and better with more experience.

Whether Bruce Irvin is the potential LEO of the future, after Avril or he continues as an athletically unique SAM linebacker, Seahawks got a solid player who is growing into a better one each day, each game.

And by unique, I mean not many LBs can cover WRs, Bruce Irvin can at 6'3, 250.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He's doing a decent job in pass coverage, but that's not his long suit. He's a pass rusher, and the move to LB was supposed to free him up by having the ability to rush from different angles and go up against different blockers instead of always getting locked up on the RT. He is not, and will never be a run stopper. He just gets washed out of plays too often.

But he can't be all bad. If he was a real weak link, offenses would be drawn to him like flies to a turd, and the fact that the defense is getting as good a results as they are means he can't be doing too poorly.

So I'm OK with his performance, but he does have room improvement.