Bruce Irvin

-The Glove-

Reaction score
You ever have anything positive to say about anybody on this team?

bellingerga

Reaction score
well, the only time I've notice bruce he's been making a nice play. a bat down, an interception, a really great tackle, or qb hits/pressures.

I can't remember once yelling "GAWDAMMIT BRUCE >=("

I think he's doing pretty good, from my very under educated perspective.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Aside from his ridiculous speed, what jumps out most for me is Irvin's motor. The guy just goes balls out and the fact that he manages to stay true to his assignment, with such a motor, is testimony to his football smarts. He won me over in pre-season last year. I wish I knew the specifics, or the behind the scenes stuff, because it looked like Pete was trying kill him.

If you have access to any of those games, watch Bruce get pushed past the QB, by the much larger tackle, play after play. Now that doesn't sound like much of a compliment...unless you watch. Just non-stop 110% on every snap, regardless of the end result. He was like frikin Rocky Balboa out there.

getnasty

Reaction score
I wasn't knocking Irvin, I think he's played well. I just have a hard time with taking a outside LB in a 4-3 defense in the first round. Now in the front offices defense I don't think they thought they would be able to get Avril and Bennett and when they did they had to move things around. This is why I'm wondering if he'll be back at DE if we don't bring Clem back or is this where the front office sees him in the future.

Throwdown

Reaction score
HawkWow":20dnqly1 said:
Aside from his ridiculous speed, what jumps out most for me is Irvin's motor. The guy just goes balls out and the fact that he manages to stay true to his assignment, with such a motor, is testimony to his football smarts. He won me over in pre-season last year. I wish I knew the specifics, or the behind the scenes stuff, because it looked like Pete was trying kill him.

If you have access to any of those games, watch Bruce get pushed past the QB, by the much larger tackle, play after play. Now that doesn't sound like much of a compliment...unless you watch. Just non-stop 110% on every snap, regardless of the end result. He was like frikin Rocky Balboa out there.

This the dude is almost like Aaron Curry except Bruce is pretty smart football wise. There's a reason Pete wanted him at USC out of JUCO.

Plus have you heard his weekly segments on Brock and Danny where he talks to Danny after he brings Bruce 2 McChickens and a large fry? It's pretty funny.

Bruce won me over in his first press conference, I love his story. A true rags to riches story and someone who isn't going to take anything for granted. Bruce is someone IMO who's just hard to not root for.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Throwdown":3euy0qee said:
HawkWow":3euy0qee said:

This the dude is almost like Aaron Curry except Bruce is pretty smart football wise. There's a reason Pete wanted him at USC out of JUCO.

Plus have you heard his weekly segments on Brock and Danny where he talks to Danny after he brings Bruce 2 McChickens and a large fry? It's pretty funny.

Bruce won me over in his first press conference, I love his story. A true rags to riches story and someone who isn't going to take anything for granted. Bruce is someone IMO who's just hard to not root for.

This is what pisses me off about these new stat kings. They look at the line before they watch the tape. They don't understand the numbers in a context.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
getnasty":ibhhjulh said:
I wasn't knocking Irvin, I think he's played well. I just have a hard time with taking a outside LB in a 4-3 defense in the first round. Now in the front offices defense I don't think they thought they would be able to get Avril and Bennett and when they did they had to move things around. This is why I'm wondering if he'll be back at DE if we don't bring Clem back or is this where the front office sees him in the future.

Well, maybe you should have some damn patience like a lot of the haters trying to call out a new player every week.

In order for Bruce Irvin to become 2010-2012 Chris Clemons type LEO, Bruce needs to work on all aspects of his football game rather then just Pass Rush. Tackling Ability, Setting the Strong Side, Attacking RBs, Containing A Zone, Taking On and Shedding Blockers, and Dropping into Coverage. All abilities Clemons possessed before Carroll traded for Clemons and made him the centerpiece of the Seahawks pass-rush.

Whether or not if Irvin can become that LEO type prospect the Seahawks can build around will be up to him. And even Bruce Irvin doesn't make it as potential LEO, the consolation prize is a possibly damn good player at 4-3 Sam LB. Where his rare blend of elite athleticism plus length plus size is unique for a 4-3 OLB which makes him a perfect Defensive Counter to the Athletic TE, the Receiving RB, the Running QB, and the WR/LBer Mismatch.

If people can't see the awesome value in that, well, that's your loss. Have fun whining about pass rush stats when the Seahawks are one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL with Irvin at only 1 sack. Luckily, the fans don't run the team.

getnasty

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2r047hq7 said:
getnasty":2r047hq7 said:

Well, maybe you should have some damn patience like a lot of the haters trying to call out a new player every week.

In order for Bruce Irvin to become 2010-2012 Chris Clemons type LEO, Bruce needs to work on all aspects of his football game rather then just Pass Rush. Tackling Ability, Setting the Strong Side, Attacking RBs, Containing A Zone, Taking On and Shedding Blockers, and Dropping into Coverage. All abilities Clemons possessed before Carroll traded for Clemons and made him the centerpiece of the Seahawks pass-rush.

Whether or not if Irvin can become that LEO type prospect the Seahawks can build around will be up to him. And even Bruce Irvin doesn't make it as potential LEO, the consolation prize is a possibly damn good player at 4-3 Sam LB. Where his rare blend of elite athleticism plus length plus size is unique for a 4-3 OLB which makes him a perfect Defensive Counter to the Athletic TE, the Receiving RB, the Running QB, and the WR/LBer Mismatch.

If people can't see the awesome value in that, well, that's your loss. Have fun whining about pass rush stats when the Seahawks are one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL with Irvin at only 1 sack. Luckily, the fans don't run the team.
Calm down buddy I don't think I've said one bad thing about Bruce. It easy to see why he doesn't have big sack numbers, He's not ask to rush the passer. Just wondering if he'll ever make it back to the LEO position. People are too sensitive some times.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Can you blame him when fans are calling out a new player practically every week without any sort of understanding

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3bo9q875 said:
Can you blame him when fans are calling out a new player practically every week without any sort of understanding

:13:

Russellmania3

Reaction score
Irvin from what I have seen still hasn't developed much on his pass rushing moves .. It's still pretty much the bull rush .