Is the weak link Bevell?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We hear a lot of talk about how the Seahawks believe that you can only be as strong as your weakest link, so the starters expect the backups to perform at starter level. Because the weak link cannot be the next man up.

So far, the losses in defense have not hurt us as much as I would have expected, but it might not matter if the biggest thing holding us back has such a huge impact on a game. It isn't reasonable to expect a QB to second guess his OC for every play, but the only way I can see Wilson overcoming Bevell is to do just that.

He looks stubborn, unable to adjust, unable to learn, and maybe worse than some of what he did in Minnesota. It is a testament to the players that they could overcome complete and utter inability to adjust like they have to this point. But at some point smarter coaches are going to exploit that.

The question then is: Will he hold us back or can we overcome him?

Is the weak link Bevell or do you have someone else in mind?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
If we didn't have a QB that could scramble and throw on the run, we'd probably be near the bottom of the league in offensive production. We have no pocket passing game to speak of.

gulliver

Reaction score
I was so impressed after our performance vs. the Saints.

But at this point we have to HOPE we're sandbagging it for the playoffs because we don't want to show the whole tool kit--if not, we are screwed six ways (and probably weeks) from Sunday.

WCstripes

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1ydchdld said:
If we didn't have a QB that could scramble and throw on the run, we'd probably be near the bottom of the league in offensive production. We have no pocket passing game to speak of.

How much of a factor really is Bevell in our lack of a pocket passing game? We do not have a true no.1 wideout, and imo none of our wr get separation on a consistent basis for that type of play to work.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Right now our QB is the weak link. Never seen RW look so bad. Can't get off 1st read, panics in the pocket, and poor decision making (thrown a bunch of near picks).

ScottishHawk84

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":yaqfhpou said:
We hear a lot of talk about how the Seahawks believe that you can only be as strong as your weakest link, so the starters expect the backups to perform at starter level. Because the weak link cannot be the next man up.

So far, the losses in defense have not hurt us as much as I would have expected, but it might not matter if the biggest thing holding us back has such a huge impact on a game. It isn't reasonable to expect a QB to second guess his OC for every play, but the only way I can see Wilson overcoming Bevell is to do just that.

He looks stubborn, unable to adjust, unable to learn, and maybe worse than some of what he did in Minnesota. It is a testament to the players that they could overcome complete and utter inability to adjust like they have to this point. But at some point smarter coaches are going to exploit that.

The question then is: Will he hold us back or can we overcome him?

Is the weak link Bevell or do you have someone else in mind?

I'd agree.. It just felt like that the second half was a replica to the first..To be honest..nothing really changed. That is why you HAVE to question Bevell..I'd have loved to be a fly on the fall with that conversation with Russ at ht to hear the plan.! I'd also argue that it was like first or even second option, when they were throwing, was always the deep pass and the short pass was the last option and by the time Russ thought short it was too late! Just too predictable all day..

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
WCstripes":2ry3ugwf said:
AbsolutNET":2ry3ugwf said:

How much of a factor really is Bevell in our lack of a pocket passing game? We do not have a true no.1 wideout, and imo none of our wr get separation on a consistent basis for that type of play to work.

I agree that we don't have the receivers we think we do, but I really have concerns about the creativity of his passing packages. It looks like too much of a grab-bag offense to me without much rhyme or reason to the plays. It just seems to me like he has trouble manufacturing open receivers with his play design.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":3vx2n0jc said:
Right now our QB is the weak link. Never seen RW look so bad. Can't get off 1st read, panics in the pocket, and poor decision making (thrown a bunch of near picks).

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha...hahahahaha...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...hahahahahahahaha...OMG, stupidest post in in f'in history. Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha...

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'm glad you found that hilarious, but he has not been good lately. The whole thing stinks quite frankly. Run game is not effective either.

GeekHawk":kgvgcy8u said:
Mtjhoyas":kgvgcy8u said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha...hahahahaha...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...hahahahahahahaha...OMG, stupidest post in in f'in history. Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha...

SNDavidson

Reaction score
First, foremost. Absolutely great game cards. This will probably be the only time I say this, but, here is my "I'm going to take a lot of flak for this" comment. This was vanilla, and so was @ SF. You will not convince me otherwise. We win next week, Fisher is a really smart coach. We win. Then we win. Then we win again. SB.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":23tkvisn said:

You're joking right? Sounds like you're talking about he who shall not be named

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Hey, Seattle's defense improved from last year to this after losing our DC (-14.5% DVOA to -23.3%), so maybe it'll work for the offense too.

CPHawk

Reaction score
For all the success we have finding D players late in the draft, Pete and co have struck out on oline. That is the true weak link of this team. Shore that up, get a true dominant WR and this team can have a great 5-7 year run.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'm not joking. I love RW, but he has struggled mightily lately. And yes, he's looked like a young QB who can't get through progressions very well and has had rather poor pocket presence.

Of course the way I stated this was over the top, but the offense has been bad and I think (despite not getting much help), he's been well below average in the past 3 games.

-The Glove-":1l18fd62 said:
Mtjhoyas":1l18fd62 said:

You're joking right? Sounds like you're talking about he who shall not be named

yeastmode

Reaction score
WCstripes":3arnnydi said:

Arizona set out to take away the only two things we do well on offense: run the ball and throw the ball deep. They had 7 or 8 in the box most of the day and dropped everyone else deep. This would have been the perfect game for the TE's to chip and release into that ten to fifteen yard first-down-rich zone that was there for the taking. As it happened, our TE's caught 2 passes for 14 yards and we had ten total first downs to Arizona's sixteen. That element of the pocket passing game was available to us today, but we never made any adjustments to take it. So, yeah, Bevell was a factor in that regard.

WCstripes

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":njjhscwj said:
WCstripes":njjhscwj said:
AbsolutNET":njjhscwj said:

I agree that we don't have the receivers we think we do, but I really have concerns about the creativity of his passing packages. It looks like too much of a grab-bag offense to me without much rhyme or reason to the plays. It just seems to me like he has trouble manufacturing open receivers with his play design.

I agree, he does appear to have limited ways in which to work with the current receivers, but I still think the receivers limit Bevell and not the other way around.

razor150

Reaction score
Wilson did look bad today, and he was part of the problem. He was holding the ball far to long, and when he did throw it, it was off target. The biggest problem was Bevell though, his game plan and inability to adjust to what the cards were doing was just awful. The Cards were known fore being weak against covering the TE, but how many plays did we use the TE in? Maybe 2, and that is if you count the Miller td after Wilson had progressed through all his reads. Even though it was never there he kept calling those slow to progress deep plays. THe whole game I was just yelling, "Gets some first downs you morons."

Honestly, even without the bad calls by the refs I still think we lose this game. Defense played great, but isn't money in the clutch.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2bmmam7a said:

Dude I was at the game you are so wrong it is pathetic, by the way the TD pass was his 4th option so your wrong.