We're weak at ILB

Chawker

Reaction score
This team is weakest in the middle, with Brook's as our only hope of a quality MLBer. Cody Barton looks the part, but fails to impress us. I'd like to see Muse start ahead Barton, at least has the speed over Barton with better coverage skills. When Barton blitzs, once a blocker steps in front of him, he gives up on his rush rather than blowing threw them. He is usually seen in a trailing position trying to run ball carriers down.

The one thing this defense is lacking is the ability to "run though a player" to get to the ball. Its all about "Desire".

Barton doesn't know sick'em from fetch'em, when it comes down to playing a MLBers position. He will be the death of this teams defense. He looks the part, but theres something wrong with him.

Start Muse and don't Look back ! My .02 cents.

Cheers

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hasn't Barton ranked really highly in coverage the past couple years (albeit in limited snaps)? If Brooks stays healthy, I think it'll be fine. I don't expect a second interior linebacker to be on the field a ton.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think Barton is a decent LB, but when you lose a talent like Wagner, you have to expect there to be some drop off. It's rare to replace his type of talent with someone and have them not make the position look weaker.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
This team is weakest in the middle, with Brook's as our only hope of a quality MLBer. Cody Barton looks the part, but fails to impress us. I'd like to see Muse start ahead Barton, at least has the speed over Barton with better coverage skills. When Barton blitzs, once a blocker steps in front of him, he gives up on his rush rather than blowing threw them. He is usually seen in a trailing position trying to run ball carriers down.

The one thing this defense is lacking is the ability to "run though a player" to get to the ball. Its all about "Desire".

Barton doesn't know sick'em from fetch'em, when it comes down to playing a MLBers position. He will be the death of this teams defense. He looks the part, but theres something wrong with him.

Start Muse and don't Look back ! My .02 cents.

Cheers
I feel the same way except... I just think barton is lackluster..he appears to show effort but It just never pays off.. (Just The eye check).

jammerhawk

Reaction score
When both Barton and Brooks play regularly the depth at the position will certainly be the issue but those two are both capable of playing good solid ball. There are others like Vi jones and Rhattigan who may be able play sufficient reps to spell the above two. So far I'd disagree on Barton who finished up last season much improved and who has shown fairly well this preseason. The quality of depth at the ILB positions is lacking though, I've been hoping they'd add some better depth since BBK went on IR.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
ILB will look better when Brooks is actually on the field. Barton's been alright, he's totally sound scheme wise it looks like. Doesn't jump off the screen, but also doesn't jump off the screen in the opposite way.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
ILB will look better when Brooks is actually on the field. Barton's been alright, he's totally sound scheme wise it looks like. Doesn't jump off the screen, but also doesn't jump off the screen in the opposite way.
Optical Lens is running 20% off monthly special starting this week.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Barton is an average LB and thats all he'll ever be.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Muse so far has been one of those intriguing busts where you're just not sure why it hasn't clicked yet for him. Great college player who lined up all over the field, was a team captain on a national championship team, had excellent measurables and athleticism (93rd percentile SPARQ), and was an early third round draft pick. He missed his entire rookie year with a toe injury and then didn't make the Raiders team in 2021 and ended up on our practice squad.

It's probably irresponsible to speculate about reasons but what else do we do during the offseason? Lack of work ethic in the weight room or class room, maybe a potential issue with the foot that is robbing him of some mobility (and would explain being released), more likely a number of factors. It would be great if some of our sports journalists took the time to interview ex-coaches on this kind of thing rather than just retweeting agent comments.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Muse so far has been one of those intriguing busts where you're just not sure why it hasn't clicked yet for him. Great college player who lined up all over the field, was a team captain on a national championship team, had excellent measurables and athleticism (93rd percentile SPARQ), and was an early third round draft pick. He missed his entire rookie year with a toe injury and then didn't make the Raiders team in 2021 and ended up on our practice squad.

It's probably irresponsible to speculate about reasons but what else do we do during the offseason? Lack of work ethic in the weight room or class room, maybe a potential issue with the foot that is robbing him of some mobility (and would explain being released), more likely a number of factors. It would be great if some of our sports journalists took the time to interview ex-coaches on this kind of thing rather than just retweeting agent comments.
Just my 2 cents. Muse is a safety playing LB. He's 220 pds. A good number of running backs and WRs are bigger than him. Not sure he's a good fit at LB in a 3-4 defense.

chrispy

Reaction score
I think an announcer last game said that Barton gets the tackles, gets to the ball, but he's always tackling backward. The rusher always falls forward. That's a difference of a yard and a half. On 3 run plays, then you really only need 5 yds of gain and run at Barton to fall forward. Bobby had those tackles too, but he lit up some guys too: meeting them square in the gap too. I just don't remember Barton doing that. Of course he's not BWagz, but I'd like to see him deliver a solid hit and drive a rusher backward... once in a while. He's what we got though...and there are worse options. Here's hoping he gets comfortable with squared up contact as he gets more playtime.

willyrobt

Reaction score
I saw some poor tackling. Being a pre season game I didn't get to upset. But that needs to be cleaned up.

Scout

Reaction score
Barton and Muse will be used in a lot of coverages that Desai and Hurtts view as integral for their defense to work. That is why having inside LBs that can drop into coverage will be important for this scheme to work. This will allow the rest of the front seven to go downhill and be aggressive.