Is the weak link Bevell?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3tykxbnj said:
Anthony!":3tykxbnj said:
brimsalabim":3tykxbnj said:
DC's are adjusting to account for Russell's mobuity. They are moving out of their comfort zones to do this. We have to do a better job of scheming and game planning to take advantage of it. It's a chess game.

True but so far our OC does not seem to know how to play chess :)
Chess hell, he struggles at checkers.

Yeah, I acknowledge the humor and snicker, but there really is some truth to this. Bevell can't keep getting a free pass. When does 'players just aren't executing' become 'not calling the right play in the right situation for them to succeed?

Another thing: He is a CHILDRESS DECIPLE! Somebody already made that point, but give that a moment to soak in. It's not the most comforting thought in the world, and not a plus for his resume. It's almost like Pete is treating any play action style coordinator as an interchangeable widget. Bevell owes his previous success to Favre and will owe any success he's had with us to Wilson. It would be interesting to see what percentage of successful plays that were actually Wilson creating something new while on the move.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We are watching the process of an O-line and offensive coordinator ruining a quarterback's career. Let's hope the bleeding is stopped in time. It's certainly not too late right now. Marc Bulger, anybody?

plyka

Reaction score
WCstripes":28l109py said:
AbsolutNET":28l109py said:
If we didn't have a QB that could scramble and throw on the run, we'd probably be near the bottom of the league in offensive production. We have no pocket passing game to speak of.

How much of a factor really is Bevell in our lack of a pocket passing game? We do not have a true no.1 wideout, and imo none of our wr get separation on a consistent basis for that type of play to work.

Do you think that Tom Brady has a "true no 1 wideout?" Maybe it's the 5'2'' 5.7 second 40 yard dash wiz kid Amendola? No, they don't. The Patriot wideouts suck big time. But watch how Brady sits in the pocket and finds WRs all over the field. Look how he turned 2 TEs into Bavarro and Gonzales. In this league, it's about your QB and your scheme --when we're talking about the passing game. This team has the QB. The scheme/playcalling is absolute garbage.

Let me give you two examples. Here is a chart from PFO, this is from before today's game. What do you see here? I see a BIG V or U with his passes. Look past 10 yards and inside the hashes --Wilson has thrown it 3 times THE ENTIRE SEASON!! THAT'S CALLED NOT UTLIZING THE ENTIRE FIELD, THAT'S CALLED BEING PREDICTABLE! Bevell, how about you use the entire field, how about you take advantage of the middle of the field with some routes?
FilmRoom 12122013 01

Example #2 was the Rams game. How many times did he help the oline with the edge rushers? Chip them! How many times did he utilize 3 or 5 step drops and short routes to get the ball out fast? How many times did he utilize the screen game? NONE, ZERO, ZIP!

Example #3 is how often this team falls behind early. He cannot make adjustments. Sometimes he comes to his senses and makes adjustments at half time. And the Hawks look much better. This is also due to Pete and his zero risk taking. Taking zero risks, you don't score and at times you fall behind. Then you take more risks and you come back.

m0ng0

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1nwqxgfi said:
SeatownJay":1nwqxgfi said:
Anthony!":1nwqxgfi said:
brimsalabim":1nwqxgfi said:
DC's are adjusting to account for Russell's mobuity. They are moving out of their comfort zones to do this. We have to do a better job of scheming and game planning to take advantage of it. It's a chess game.

Yeah, I acknowledge the humor and snicker, but there really is some truth to this. Bevell can't keep getting a free pass. When does 'players just aren't executing' become 'not calling the right play in the right situation for them to succeed?
I think you have this backwards, I believe its the players who have been getting the free pass for years, Bevell as far as I can tell has been whipping boy#1 even when we win !

Anthony!

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":w0uupqpv said:
We are watching the process of an O-line and offensive coordinator ruining a quarterback's career. Let's hope the bleeding is stopped in time. It's certainly not too late right now. Marc Bulger, anybody?

MY guess is if this keeps up Rw will be gone after next season, he will not resign with the Hawks.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Don't get me started with Bevell. I've been calling for his head since last year. I just can't stand the slow starts I believe there was one or two games year that we opened up a 10+ point lead before the half but other than those two games nothing. I get that I'm spoiled with this team but considering I wasn't very much a big fan of his last year, eh, I'm probably on to something. He has got to get this offense running smoother. I don't have all the answers but Bevell, blech.

Anthony!

Reaction score
plyka":u43kxhny said:
WCstripes":u43kxhny said:
AbsolutNET":u43kxhny said:
If we didn't have a QB that could scramble and throw on the run, we'd probably be near the bottom of the league in offensive production. We have no pocket passing game to speak of.

How much of a factor really is Bevell in our lack of a pocket passing game? We do not have a true no.1 wideout, and imo none of our wr get separation on a consistent basis for that type of play to work.

Do you think that Tom Brady has a "true no 1 wideout?" Maybe it's the 5'2'' 5.7 second 40 yard dash wiz kid Amendola? No, they don't. The Patriot wideouts suck big time. But watch how Brady sits in the pocket and finds WRs all over the field. Look how he turned 2 TEs into Bavarro and Gonzales. In this league, it's about your QB and your scheme --when we're talking about the passing game. This team has the QB. The scheme/playcalling is absolute garbage.

Let me give you two examples. Here is a chart from PFO, this is from before today's game. What do you see here? I see a BIG V or U with his passes. Look past 10 yards and inside the hashes --Wilson has thrown it 3 times THE ENTIRE SEASON!! THAT'S CALLED NOT UTLIZING THE ENTIRE FIELD, THAT'S CALLED BEING PREDICTABLE! Bevell, how about you use the entire field, how about you take advantage of the middle of the field with some routes?
FilmRoom 12122013 01

Example #2 was the Rams game. How many times did he help the oline with the edge rushers? Chip them! How many times did he utilize 3 or 5 step drops and short routes to get the ball out fast? How many times did he utilize the screen game? NONE, ZERO, ZIP!

Example #3 is how often this team falls behind early. He cannot make adjustments. Sometimes he comes to his senses and makes adjustments at half time. And the Hawks look much better. This is also due to Pete and his zero risk taking. Taking zero risks, you don't score and at times you fall behind. Then you take more risks and you come back.

I would argue that in example 3 any adjustments are not true adjustments so much as Rw improving our way to plays

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You know who also used the phrase "Players are not executing?"

EVERY BAD COACH EVER.

Most infamously Ty Willingham, who has an entire NFL secondary but couldn't win a single game with them (oddly, one of the guys that played for the Cardinals today also played for him.).

It is stunning how bad coaches or bad coordinators have a tendency to cause player to "not execute". However, Pete has shown himself to be a good coach, almost above reproach in that regard. Bevell, on the other hand, has been a guy that has won plenty of games in spite of his ability instead of because of it. He isn't terrible, he just isn't exceptional.

More importantly, he isn't consistent.

No amount of vodka is going to make this guy better, and in a year we need him to step up for a SB run, he is one of the biggest failures on the team.

(Not the biggest, that is Harvin)

Anthony!

Reaction score
m0ng0":23r4waal said:
I think you have this backwards, I believe its the players who have been getting the free pass for years, Bevell as far as I can tell has been whipping boy#1 even when we win !

Yeah not sure about here but on other forums the players have been the whipping boys, and still are to a point, but over the last 3 games the p[lay calling has been awful, I record every game and I have gone back and looked at them all, and the play calling has changed, especially the last 3 games, very predictable, little screens, crossing patterns, quick hitters etc. Pretty much it has been run or long pass, unless RW scrambles. Makes it easy to defend when you know what coming.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ha35mz0 said:
You know who also used the phrase "Players are not executing?"

EVERY BAD COACH EVER.

Most infamously Ty Willingham, who has an entire NFL secondary but couldn't win a single game with them (oddly, one of the guys that played for the Cardinals today also played for him.).

It is stunning how bad coaches or bad coordinators have a tendency to cause player to "not execute". However, Pete has shown himself to be a good coach, almost above reproach in that regard. Bevell, on the other hand, has been a guy that has won plenty of games in spite of his ability instead of because of it. He isn't terrible, he just isn't exceptional.

More importantly, he isn't consistent.

No amount of vodka is going to make this guy better, and in a year we need him to step up for a SB run, he is one of the biggest failures on the team.

(Not the biggest, that is Harvin)

Why do we have to wait for him to step up next season, he better do it this season, I didn't book those tickets to East Rutherford for nothing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":a8um39wi said:
Don't get me started with Bevell. I've been calling for his head since last year. I just can't stand the slow starts I believe there was one or two games year that we opened up a 10+ point lead before the half but other than those two games nothing. I get that I'm spoiled with this team but considering I wasn't very much a big fan of his last year, eh, I'm probably on to something. He has got to get this offense running smoother. I don't have all the answers but Bevell, blech.
Where's Sarlacc? We need him in here demanding that we list five better candidates than Bevell for OC, implying that he's amazing because we can't drop those names.

plyka

Reaction score
SeatownJay":15j7p7it said:
Anthony!":15j7p7it said:
brimsalabim":15j7p7it said:

Checkers? His Daughter is just teaching him tic tac toe.

plyka

Reaction score
Anthony!":3oivnq6y said:
plyka":3oivnq6y said:
WCstripes":3oivnq6y said:
AbsolutNET":3oivnq6y said:

FilmRoom 12122013 01

I would argue that in example 3 any adjustments are not true adjustments so much as Rw improving our way to plays

God I hope you're wrong...If you're right, it's a mystery how such an incompetent got past coaching the bears in the 8th grade and younger teams.

WarHawks

Reaction score
RW is at his best running play action, read option, etc., not trying to pretend he's a statue pocket passer like Palmer. There was almost no play action or read option in this game. They must be sandbagging it a bit, otherwise it makes zero sense for them not to be using Russell in the manner that suits him best. Either that or Bevell is the worst OC imaginable.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ighx4b5 said:

Lolz. You obviously have no perspective of what ruin a career means. He is the second or third best player in his first two years ever. Do you think he did that without any help?

Watching that game yesterday, we seemed to have dropped about 8 balls we got our hands on which really stalled drives. Offensive execution was the poorest I have seen so it is really hard to blame the game plan when we don't execute it.

There are more factors than just the play call as to whether players get open.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3tkrwa8j said:

The stats do not say this at all.

Overreaction monday.

getnasty

Reaction score
We have to get back to running the ball. A great run game makes everything I whole lot easier. I'm not sure what happen to Marshawn but he just hasn't been quite right of late. We just don't have the receivers to consistently win one on one match ups right now, when we see good secondarys. I didn't think ths OLine was as bad as people are say today, it just seemed like RW couldn't find anyone open today. This team was built to run the ball, control the clock and win with defense.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Ya know what, I'm just going to go ahead and say it. This team will not win a title as long as Bevell is the offensive coordinator. I'm beginning to have doubts about Cable's ability to coach up marginal-to-average talent on the offensive line as well.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":209ire7m said:
AbsolutNET":209ire7m said:

The stats do not say this at all.

Overreaction monday.

I said that on Sunday. I still think we have a lousy pocket passing game today, though.

Can you show me what stats youre referencing, though?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":l1p1sq30 said:
NFSeahawks628":l1p1sq30 said:
Where's Sarlacc? We need him in here demanding that we list five better candidates than Bevell for OC, implying that he's amazing because we can't drop those names.

I was asleep/avoiding the drama. I don't have game review, so I can't comment on the specific offensive gameplan, but I remember one play yesterday where Tate cleared out space for an easy slant to Lockette on 3rd and 6 (?). It was good play design. Then by the end of the game, I also remember Tate and Kearse hobbling around; basically killing our WR corps. Then there was the constant pressure where Wilson didn't escape and take the easy 10 yards cleared out in the middle because he wanted to chuck it deep. I remember some deep passes going off of fingers and/or not being caught in general.

I do agree that there should have been more throws to TEs, but like I said yesterday, someone would have to check the All-22 to make sure Wilson wasn't missing those guys. I also don't understand why they didn't go back to the bubble screen more times. Bevell didn't have a great game, but then again, no one did. What worries me is that Pete's gone back to 2010 and is relying too much on deep shots and explosive plays because he doesn't want those 10-15 play drives where a turnover might happen. I mean, that's what he wants for defense, right? So he sure doesn't want that for our offense. It's like having 3 point shooters as your main stars in the NBA. When they're on, you'll kill the other team, but if they're not, you're going to look terrible all game.

Also, what I'm implying is that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to offensive gameplanning. Just so we're clear.