Random Thoughts™ on the Arizona game

kearly

Reaction score
I'm fine with giving opponents credit. I thought the Texans and Bucs beat the daylights out of us in those first halves because they played amazingly good football. I think Arizona's defense played a very good game, and their DC had the perfect game plan for Seattle's base offense.

I am also almost never a guy that pins a loss on playcalling.

But I think this game was 80% Seattle beating themselves and 20% Arizona beating Seattle. And I think the refusal to adapt all game long and force the same losing game plan with stubbornness was probably the biggest reason for Seattle's loss today. Arizona pretty much gameplanned Seattle's vanilla offense to a tee, and rather than get creative with designed QB runs, screens, or bubble screens, it was more and more of square peg meet round hole. Is that Bevell's fault or is it Pete's? I honestly don't know.

All I know is, barring a couple of nice catches by Kearse, this was undoubtedly the most unclutch game of the Russell Wilson era, offensively. Without a doubt. All those thin margin plays our offense relies on kept coming up snake eyes over and over again.

I never expected Wilson to win MVP. I'm not expecting Pete to get coach of the year, and I'm even kind of skeptical that JS gets GM of the year. And we're definitely not getting a RoY this year. All I wanted was for Wilson to go 17-0 at home to start his career and get that record. That's all I wanted to have over the next month. If Seattle had done that and gotten bounced in the SB, as much as that would have sucked, I understand that you can't win every SB. But this felt like low hanging fruit, and they blew it in the most painful way possible.

This loss also raises serious questions about the offense going forward. Certain styles of defense have shut them down a lot like how certain styles of defense shut down Colin Kaepernick. And when they aren't playing those specific defenses, I would guess they are averaging over 30 points a game. It could just be a case of us having a very basic OC who sucks at adjusting. I hope it's that simple.

BTW, the ball clearly hit the ground on that last interception. Not only the dirt flying in the air, but the physics of how it bounced made it very obvious. That has to be one of the worst replay decisions of the entire NFL season, when factoring the magnitude of it especially. I also think Pete's lost challenge on a fumble was a poor officiating decision too. From one angle you could see the runner lying on top of a seahawk, his knees did not touch early, and his arm did not touch early either, then on the other angle you can see the ball come out when he's 18 inches off the ground. I'm a little more forgiving of that one, but that was a botched review as well. How rare to have two of those in against Seattle in the same game, in the same 4th quarter of a tight game.

On Malcolm Smith's interception, he probably gets to the end zone if Chancellor and Bennett look for blocks competently. If you don't know what I mean, watch that play again. Chancellor has an easy chance to block the eventual tackler but turns around and blocks a non-factor player for no reason, and Bennett is caught watching the whole way instead of helping to seal a block inside the five. Hauschka misses a chip shot, after Lynch came inches short. Floyd's TD was bobbled after Maxwell made a nice play to break up the pass. So many layers of unreal this game was.

If Seattle ends up a wildcard, words can't express how mind blowing the journey to that wildcard will be.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I told the same thing in regards to the blocking on Malcolm's return. I couldn't believe it. It looked like Bennett was just waving at him like "C'mon, it's all clear!" Meanwhile the Cards make the TD.

I kind of felt it was one of those games where the refs called the play on the field (like the fumble and INT) initially in the Cards favor and relied on replay to overturn. A game like today and that makes a difference.

After Turbin's return where he was on a slip and slide, I was crying for him to down it on the next attempt (the one he fumbled on). My wife can attest to that. Turbin and Kearse scare me with ball security on returns. It seems like they hang that ball out there.

I'm still shaking my head on Hauschka's miss.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think the D played a good game with the exception of a few plays. Even the TD on Maxwell was good pretty good coverage by Maxwell.

BUT they were defending a short field far too much this game. Field position was off because of the offense's shortcomings in this game.

As for said offense, I haven't been one to call out the playcalling really, but this one was pretty bad. We ignored how the Cards were attacking us in the middle and kept doing the same types of things without adjusting. Russell was off. It happens, but if I was going to pick at one thing it would be his indecisiveness and almost reluctance to take run yards.

There are a lot of things the team can learn from in this game and it's not the end of the world. Focus on the opportunities ahead.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Starrman44":3jh15nsf said:
After Turbin's return where he was on a slip and slide, I was crying for him to down it on the next attempt (the one he fumbled on). My wife can attest to that. Turbin and Kearse scare me with ball security on returns. It seems like they hang that ball out there.

Same for me. I saw him standing in the end zone waiting for the ball and said "take a knee" before the ball got there. As soon as he started running I hollered "idiot" and scared my poor dog.

vin.couve12":3jh15nsf said:
As for said offense, I haven't been one to call out the playcalling really, but this one was pretty bad. We ignored how the Cards were attacking us in the middle and kept doing the same types of things without adjusting. Russell was off. It happens, but if I was going to pick at one thing it would be his indecisiveness and almost reluctance to take run yards.

I think when he is off like that he needs to start thinking run earlier despite his reluctance to do so. It will surely open other things up if he starts picking up yards with his legs.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I love you, Kearly. The only thing I want to say is that I believe it's very, very unlikely that Carroll restricted Bevell in any way. Carroll's a defensive guy. Did we see Carroll in Bevell's face, or holding up the offensive play card speaking into his mic while we were on offense? No.

Carroll's absolutely responsible for Bevell overall, but I can't really imagine a way to put today's offensive play calling on Carroll more than a very small amount at most.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Would also add that the lack of a Sweezy hurt some as well. Both in the run game and in continuity along the inside where the Cards were attacking.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Funny I was thinking the same thing about the home record. That was the biggest let down of the game. As for the team "responding" since San Francisco. But they are going to need to respond for more than 1 game if the want to get to the big game. I'm really curious now how this is all going to play out. Even defensively, you had two end zone interceptions. What was scary for me is this could have been a lot worse, it was possible we could have got blown out.

Arizona had 300 yards passing plus the 100 we gave them in penalties. Mac strong said that penalties accounted for 8 of 15 or 16 first downs. Arizona has an amazing defense, but let's be honest, San Fran's defense is back to form, and Carolina has been good all season. We are going to have to figure this out.

The only thing I can think of offensively is the Seahawks wanted to do a Base vanilla offense in order to not "give anything away" for the playoffs, and it just backfired on them.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pmedic920":32417r7o said:
Not so much fun to read. Nothing I can disagree with.
Thanks for your time, I'm glad you started these again.
GoHawks.
Agreed.I still can't come to grips about how so many whacky things went against us in one game coupled with our utter lack of adjustments. It's worrisome though I realize games like these happen.

Daytomann

Reaction score
Nice job on the write up. Well theres Plenty of blame to go around and a lot of woulda coulda shoulduvs. Bottom line is that this has been a nice season but this is no SB caliber team.

I don't care one bit about Wilson getting any personal records, I doubt he cares much either, I just want the team to do well. the ultimate in doing well is winning the SB and we'll just have to keep on waiting.

One and done in the play offs.

Mitch

Reaction score
I sure hope Bevell gets a head coaching job next year! Not one offensive adjustment at half. Just play the same way as they stuff you on every play. Pretty easy job tor the Arizona coaches.

General Manager

Reaction score
kearly":f7ewraag said:
I'm fine with giving opponents credit. I thought the Texans and Bucs beat the daylights out of us in those first halves because they played amazingly good football. I think Arizona's defense played a very good game, and their DC had the perfect game plan for Seattle's base offense.

I am also almost never a guy that pins a loss on playcalling.

But I think this game was 80% Seattle beating themselves and 20% Arizona beating Seattle. And I think the refusal to adapt all game long and force the same losing game plan with stubbornness was probably the biggest reason for Seattle's loss today. Arizona pretty much gameplanned Seattle's vanilla offense to a tee, and rather than get creative with designed QB runs, screens, or bubble screens, it was more and more of square peg meet round hole. Is that Bevell's fault or is it Pete's? I honestly don't know.

All I know is, barring a couple of nice catches by Kearse, this was undoubtedly the most unclutch game of the Russell Wilson era, offensively. Without a doubt. All those thin margin plays our offense relies on kept coming up snake eyes over and over again.

I never expected Wilson to win MVP. I'm not expecting Pete to get coach of the year, and I'm even kind of skeptical that JS gets GM of the year. And we're definitely not getting a RoY this year. All I wanted was for Wilson to go 17-0 at home to start his career and get that record. That's all I wanted to have over the next month. If Seattle had done that and gotten bounced in the SB, as much as that would have sucked, I understand that you can't win every SB. But this felt like low hanging fruit, and they blew it in the most painful way possible.

This loss also raises serious questions about the offense going forward. Certain styles of defense have shut them down a lot like how certain styles of defense shut down Colin Kaepernick. And when they aren't playing those specific defenses, I would guess they are averaging over 30 points a game. It could just be a case of us having a very basic OC who sucks at adjusting. I hope it's that simple.

BTW, the ball clearly hit the ground on that last interception. Not only the dirt flying in the air, but the physics of how it bounced made it very obvious. That has to be one of the worst replay decisions of the entire NFL season, when factoring the magnitude of it especially. I also think Pete's lost challenge on a fumble was a poor officiating decision too. From one angle you could see the runner lying on top of a seahawk, his knees did not touch early, and his arm did not touch early either, then on the other angle you can see the ball come out when he's 18 inches off the ground. I'm a little more forgiving of that one, but that was a botched review as well. How rare to have two of those in against Seattle in the same game, in the same 4th quarter of a tight game.

On Malcolm Smith's interception, he probably gets to the end zone if Chancellor and Bennett look for blocks competently. If you don't know what I mean, watch that play again. Chancellor has an easy chance to block the eventual tackler but turns around and blocks a non-factor player for no reason, and Bennett is caught watching the whole way instead of helping to seal a block inside the five. Hauschka misses a chip shot, after Lynch came inches short. Floyd's TD was bobbled after Maxwell made a nice play to break up the pass. So many layers of unreal this game was.

If Seattle ends up a wildcard, words can't express how mind blowing the journey to that wildcard will be.

If they try this offense in the playoffs ,you know Lynch on first and second down most of the time. I think we lose.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Lynch 3.28 YPA the last five games.

Only three 100 yard games all year.

This worries the hell out of me.

kf3339

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts Kearly. I couldn't agree more with you. While watching the game I was saying this offense is doing absolutely nothing to counter Arizona's defensive game plan. This loss is squarely on Bevell and PC in my book. Bevell because he should know how to adjust in game and PC because he should have demanded offensive game plan adjustments.

The one fault I have with PC is that he doesn't demand more from his offense and/or offensive coaches when it is clear they need a kick in the ass.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1t7x88gl said:

We lost at the POA far too much this game. Lynch really didn't have a whole lot of running room and was getting hit in the backfield.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3mx4ys3w said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3mx4ys3w said:

We lost at the POA far too much this game. Lynch really didn't have a whole lot of running room and was getting hit in the backfield.

Has it been that way for five weeks though?

I mean, I take your point. And Arizona have the best run-D in the NFL.

But three 100-yard games all year (against the Falcons, Buccs and Colts) and 3.28 YPA the last five games is a worry.

If we can't run the ball in the playoffs, we better hope RW and the receivers don't play like this again today.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Always read "the Kearlies" :)

This was simply the product of the worst game from RW yet. No, I'm not here to hate on him, im a fan and this can be fixed. It's going to take some soul searching though.

Definitely not laying much blame on our D. Special teams was...special at best. Can't really put it all on our Oline either with a tough D like PHX they did pretty well with pass pro (but run blocking continues to elude).

Russ just was out of sorts, too many awful throws, didn't take advantage of opportune scrambles.
Playcalling takes the next level of blame, then Oline.

Too bad this happened in our house. Hats off to a tough PHX team, they look far more threatening than SF.

Jville

Reaction score
If they can't physically run the football, they can't play their style.

General Manager

Reaction score
That O-line got there asses kicked today in the run game and Wilson was hurried almost every time he tried to throw. Then they played a lot of man coverage and our WR's aren't great at getting open against a physical secondary . They better come to terms with the fact they need to mix up the play calling it's vanilla and predictable.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
To me, the clear play of the game was tackling Malcom Smith on the 2. What a huge impact that ended up having once the FG was missed. If the Hawks get the TD there I really think they get the win. What a great play by Arizona.