Random Thoughts™ on the Arizona game

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2it8pd1p said:
To me, the clear play of the game was tackling Malcom Smith on the 2. What a huge impact that ended up having once the FG was missed. If the Hawks get the TD there I really think they get the win. What a great play by Arizona.

At 10-3 you might be right.

Dreo

Reaction score
The Cardinals played lights-out defense for the entire game. Truly impressive actually, especially their secondary.

I mean really, 4 interceptions but only 3 points as a result?

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":h5g1opix said:
Would also add that the lack of a Sweezy hurt some as well. Both in the run game and in continuity along the inside where the Cards were attacking.

We have had no continuity all year missing or having 4 of the 5 out of the game or position, having one player off the line out isn't an excuse anymore.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3atbyp8c said:
I love you, Kearly. The only thing I want to say is that I believe it's very, very unlikely that Carroll restricted Bevell in any way. Carroll's a defensive guy. Did we see Carroll in Bevell's face, or holding up the offensive play card speaking into his mic while we were on offense? No.

Carroll's absolutely responsible for Bevell overall, but I can't really imagine a way to put today's offensive play calling on Carroll more than a very small amount at most.

Please see the 2006 Rose Bowl for reference on Pete Carroll's influence on offensive playcalling. There's more to it then him calling the plays.

Jville

Reaction score
I think Carroll speaks to philosophy and delegates details to his (5) coordinators and position coaches. The offensive make over is only 2 years old. Where as ... the defense is peaking in this its 4th year.

Edited to correct number of coordinators.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
It looked to me like they put down a wet ball for the missed FG attempt and the hold was flat. Don't they usually put a new dry ball in there?
Just think, we could have gotten 2 really good O linemen for the price of Harvin.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I really liked how our defense played in this game. 14 drives is a lot more than usual and keeping the game close for that long with our offense in a funk was a great showing. I also disagreed with several of the interference calls which would have kept even more AZ points off the board.

I did not like our punting game at all (again). If we have good coverage then let them go cover; I really hope somebody on the coaching staff compiles some comparative net punting stats that changes Carroll's opinion here.

I agree that Carroll has a minimal impact on actual play calling during the game other than high level 4th down decisions. However, I think he has the only say when it comes to the overall risk/reward balance of our offense. If a particular game plan seems too conservative to you then that is 100% Carroll you are disagreeing with.

That being said, I felt like our overall game plan here was right it was just our execution that was lacking. If you heard Zach Miller after the game you heard him talk about how they knew they needed to take shots down field against the man coverage on the outside. They knew that Arizona was going to be keying against the run but our strikes just didn't work out. The Cards secondary played great, Wilson wasn't as sharp as has shown he can be, and our receivers did not have much separation and did not come down with the amazing catches that we have seen in the past. I felt like our O-Line protected pretty well for the most part.

I don't see any point in complaining about our receiver group. Injury is a part of football, and most teams at this point of the season have weak areas where they have lost key players. The story of our receiver group begins and ends with knowing that 90% of the money we paid the entire group is going to injured players who could not contribute today. It is pure nonsense for a fan with no medical knowledge to say if a player should be able to play or not and even the best players in the NFL can miss significant time due to injury.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Shock2k":epw3x9oi said:
Funny I was thinking the same thing about the home record. That was the biggest let down of the game. As for the team "responding" since San Francisco. But they are going to need to respond for more than 1 game if the want to get to the big game. I'm really curious now how this is all going to play out. Even defensively, you had two end zone interceptions. What was scary for me is this could have been a lot worse, it was possible we could have got blown out.

Arizona had 300 yards passing plus the 100 we gave them in penalties. Mac strong said that penalties accounted for 8 of 15 or 16 first downs. Arizona has an amazing defense, but let's be honest, San Fran's defense is back to form, and Carolina has been good all season. We are going to have to figure this out.

The only thing I can think of offensively is the Seahawks wanted to do a Base vanilla offense in order to not "give anything away" for the playoffs, and it just backfired on them.

Arizona had 168 yards passing! Not to nitpick, but that is roughly half of what you said. This loss is in no way shape or form on the defense.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Shock2k":3267blyo said:
Funny I was thinking the same thing about the home record. That was the biggest let down of the game. As for the team "responding" since San Francisco. But they are going to need to respond for more than 1 game if the want to get to the big game. I'm really curious now how this is all going to play out. Even defensively, you had two end zone interceptions. What was scary for me is this could have been a lot worse, it was possible we could have got blown out.

Arizona had 300 yards passing plus the 100 we gave them in penalties. Mac strong said that penalties accounted for 8 of 15 or 16 first downs. Arizona has an amazing defense, but let's be honest, San Fran's defense is back to form, and Carolina has been good all season. We are going to have to figure this out.

The only thing I can think of offensively is the Seahawks wanted to do a Base vanilla offense in order to not "give anything away" for the playoffs, and it just backfired on them.

I thought that as well regarding the playcalling. No adjustments whatsoever.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Our offense is terrible. Those that think we don't need Percy Harvin should have their fingers broken for typing such things. This offense has looked lackluster all season.

Anthony!

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1c0w9df3 said:
Shock2k":1c0w9df3 said:

Arizona had 168 yards passing! Not to nitpick, but that is roughly half of what you said. This loss is in no way shape or form on the defense.

For the most part I agree except when we needed the stop the defense could not get it, as has been a pattern our defense gives up the lead late in the 4th qtr see, SF oss, see Indy loss. SO they do have culpability in this as well, does not matter how good you play in the first 45 minutes if you give it up in the final 15. Great defenses do not do that, they seal the deal when the offense gives them the lead. This team is built on defense not offense so it is on them too.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Right there with you about the defense. They are amazing, but it kills me how those last drives always have a big play and stupid penalty.

Anthony!":1eai1nod said:
oldhawkfan":1eai1nod said:
Shock2k":1eai1nod said:

For the most part I agree except when we needed the stop the defense could not get it, as has been a pattern our defense gives up the lead late in the 4th qtr see, SF oss, see Indy loss. SO they do have culpability in this as well, does not matter how good you play in the first 45 minutes if you give it up in the final 15. Great defenses do not do that, they seal the deal when the offense gives them the lead. This team is built on defense not offense so it is on them too.

hawk45

Reaction score
I dunno, the defense had to to all the work, the entire game. If it was a back and forth battle I'd be more inclined to say something about the D. Today, they were the only thing keeping us in the game. Offense gave them no time to rest, and no margin for error.

BGHawk

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but the hawks are not very good..they refuse to make the necessary adjustments. I am just sick of the ineptness at the horrible, horrible playcalling, turbin running kickoffs.. wtf, haushka..just wow, wilson looking like kaperneck, ..well..another shitty week to look forward too, I doubt they figure this out against the rams..merry christmas to the cards..you looked like the better team...by far

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
seahawk2k":qeb73ne7 said:
Please see the 2006 Rose Bowl for reference on Pete Carroll's influence on offensive playcalling. There's more to it then him calling the plays.
I might have bothered checking this out if college coaching was like pro coaching, or if college coaches didn't change anything when moving to the pros.

AgentDib":qeb73ne7 said:
That being said, I felt like our overall game plan here was right it was just our execution that was lacking.
Any game plan that fails for four straight quarters can't just be blamed on execution. Come on. Besides, if you execute perfectly, the first offensive play every time your offense walks out onto the field is a touchdown. There has never been anything even close to perfect execution in an NFL game before, and there never will be. You have to adjust to the problems defenses present. We didn't. At all.

Sounds like it's time for me to whip this out again:

5wqj.png

hawk45

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1r8posaw said:
seahawk2k":1r8posaw said:
I might have bothered checking this out if college coaching was like pro coaching, or if college coaches didn't change anything when moving to the pros.

AgentDib":1r8posaw said:
That being said, I felt like our overall game plan here was right it was just our execution that was lacking.
Any game plan that fails for four straight quarters can't just be blamed on execution. Come on. Besides, if you execute perfectly, the first offensive play every time your offense walks out onto the field is a touchdown. There has never been anything even close to perfect execution in an NFL game before, and there never will be. You have to adjust to the problems defenses present. We didn't. At all.

5wqj.png

Hey Ro, I get a kick out of that graphic, thanks for the lulz.

On a more serious note, in the first half I felt like Russell left a lot of plays out on the field and wasn't inclined to blame it on Bevell. 2nd half was a clusterfark all around.

What were your thoughts about the first half?

seahawk2k

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3h35aohv said:
seahawk2k":3h35aohv said:

AgentDib":3h35aohv said:

5wqj.png

It's an obvious example to me of the defense first mentality that Carroll instills throughout the whole team, and sometimes to the detriment of the team. A philosophy that has been written about and quoted by Carroll on multiple occasions. But, ignorance is bliss, so move along.

In regards to the playcalling, I agree, when it became obvious that they weren't winning the one on one matchups downfield, then its time for rub routes, bunch formations, anything to manufacture separation. None of which happened. The gameplan was too reliant on winning tight balls downfield, when that didn't hit, they had nothing. Fans can blame that on execution, but one on one matchups against Patrick Peterson on the outside is just a matter of a better player doing what he does. Frustrating that Bevell never adjusted.

ivotuk

Reaction score
There should have been more trick plays against an aggressive defense. A reverse and a flea flicker would have been nice.

As to execution, the offensive line failed at it. They have one of the best running backs in the league yet fail to get him 100 yards?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawk45":sacezg1s said:
What were your thoughts about the first half?
Russell's not blameless. I'd say for our offensive woes in the first half, I'd put about 15% on Russell, 20% on the O-line, 25% on the receivers, and the remaining 40% on Bevell. In the 2nd half, Bevell's at least 70% at fault, IMO. Not changing our offensive game plan considering how the first half went is inexcusable. It absolutely cannot be ignored or written off as "bad execution", though we definitely had a fair bit of that, too.

plyka

Reaction score
As a man who has ALWAYS hated on Bevell for his playcalling, I have changed my tune over the last few weeks. It's not that I think the playcalling is good or average, it down right is AWFUL! What I've wavered on is whether it is Bevell's fault or whether it is Pete's fault. Every game they come out extra conservative, hoping they make ZERO mistakes, wanting to decrease the number of possessions, punt punt punt, and all around play not to lose. Then when they need to, they turn it on late in the game and win it. Well, why not turn it on early? The games they have turned it on early, this offense has looked sick, down righ awesome. And you can tell they have it in them. Last year against Atlanta, last year against DC --why fall behind so much so early before you finally open it up? I think the reason they play like this is Pete --it's his ideology, his system (described above, shorten the game, low risk, etc).

However, this game was different. It wasn't a lack of risk taking. It was a lack of ability to make adjustments, and that's on Bevell 100%. He did the same against the Rams. Why didn't he chip the edge rushers, why not take 3 step drops, why not screen, etc --we all said during the Rams game. And again here. It's not working, STOP TRYING IT AND CHANGE!

There is no doubt that this defense is the best we have seen in years in the NFL. One of the best over the last 5 years. They don't approach those 2000 Ravens --no defense does in my opinion. They don't approach those early 2000's Bucs. But the Seahawks D is that damn good. But how can you give your offense 4 INTs and get 3 points back? How can you give them incredible field position time after time, once even on the opposing teams 3 yard line, and get 0 points for your efforts? The CArdinals rushed and rushed and rushed. They had more possessions than Seattle had 1st downs. All that took its toll on this great generational defense. They couldn't hold on at the end. Not to mention they also battled the refs there at the end.