Random Thoughts™ on the Arizona game

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1toes7yq said:
All in all, it was the worst performance I have seen from the Hawks. Out coached, out muscled on the O-line, and it felt like a loss was pending for the entire second half.

I haven't felt that way in a long time.

I agreed strongly with every point you made, even this last bit. I commented during the game that while Seattle had more dreadful performances in their past, this one was the most blatant "underachieving" performance that I had ever witnessed for Seattle.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":1cx6pqrr said:
Scottemojo":1cx6pqrr said:
All in all, it was the worst performance I have seen from the Hawks. Out coached, out muscled on the O-line, and it felt like a loss was pending for the entire second half.

I haven't felt that way in a long time.

I agreed strongly with every point you made, even this last bit. I commented during the game that while Seattle had more dreadful performances in their past, this one was the most blatant "underachieving" performance that I had ever witnessed for Seattle.
Agree with both of you, and that's VERY concerning when HFA and a division title are on the line. What do the two of you attribute it to? Coaching? Normal human "letdown" when the game wasn't a must win? Still trying to wrap by head around that type of performance.....

Mjolnir

Reaction score
Like all of you, I simply love reading Kearly's detailed take on things.

Maybe it's just me, but I think our offense responds to great defenses the same way alot of offenses respond: not very well. I'm not one of those who believes our offense was at anytime "very good"; I've always thought it was between average to good from an NFL standpoint. If this is the case, then an average to good offense will be stiffled by an overwhelming defense; cue how different offenses play against our stellar defense. No different.

Heck, even when other offenses try to scheme adjust against our defense, our defense still usually wins the battle. Most of the time. So, when our offense goes up against another brick wall, I'm not too surprised by the result.

What I liked about what Arizona did against us offensively is that they stuck to the run. Yeah, we helped them out quite a bit with our penalties (extending their drives), but for the most part they just ended up chewing up clock. Repeatedly they kept on getting short tough yardage but they kept with it. Boring as hell, but it seemed like it worked.

Is it me or do other running backs in the league seem to be able to find the "holes" so much better than Lynch? Lynch is one powerful dude, but he seems to have NO vision at the line. I'm talking about those few times when our OL run blocks well mind you.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mjolnir":2pvh2bi9 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think our offense responds to great defenses the same way alot of offenses respond: not very well. I'm not one of those who believes our offense was at anytime "very good"; I've always thought it was between average to good from an NFL standpoint. If this is the case, then an average to good offense will be stiffled by an overwhelming defense; cue how different offenses play against our stellar defense. No different.

Heck, even when other offenses try to scheme adjust against our defense, our defense still usually wins the battle. Most of the time. So, when our offense goes up against another brick wall, I'm not too surprised by the result.

What I liked about what Arizona did against us offensively is that they stuck to the run. Yeah, we helped them out quite a bit with our penalties (extending their drives), but for the most part they just ended up chewing up clock. Repeatedly they kept on getting short tough yardage but they kept with it. Boring as hell, but it seemed like it worked.

Is it me or do other running backs in the league seem to be able to find the "holes" so much better than Lynch? Lynch is one powerful dude, but he seems to have NO vision at the line. I'm talking about those few times when our OL run blocks well mind you.

Absolutely spot on. Arians coached a great game. I think our HC and OC went in with a specific game plan and were too stubborn to adjust.

When you're getting overwhelmed by a defense, do something to make them back off, you know, screens, reverses, etc...

morgulon1

Reaction score
ivotuk":3k7lr2f5 said:
Mjolnir":3k7lr2f5 said:

Absolutely spot on. Arians coached a great game. I think our HC and OC went in with a specific game plan and were too stubborn to adjust.

When you're getting overwhelmed by a defense, do something to make them back off, you know, screens, reverses, etc...

I too feel that the offense was definitely off (I am of the camp that feels Seattle went vanilla) and the defense held on the best they could for 58 minutes and we came within a bogus interception review of winning. We were flat. It happens! Weve won 12 games and people are shitting their pants. We basically have a playoff game this weekend against the Rams. I like our chances.

Merry Christmas and God bless!

Morgulon

PS: Mjolnir, you need to do some curls bro.