The Rangers Draft Pick of Wilson...A Distraction?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
First of all, I am not a baseball fan so the idea that there could be a draft pick by another professional sport of a HUGE player of the sport and team I love DURING THE SEASON of said professional sport really pisses me off.

Sure it's a marketing ploy. I get that. Still, why is it allowed to happen? Isn't there SOME level of courtesy between pro sports? We all know that baseball is a passion of RW. Why in the hell is it okay for them to announce that they have drafted our beloved leader as he is in the mix of going for a championship? Sorry but it just seems wrong to me.

I won't go as far as suggesting that any struggles RW showed today were due to the distraction of the Rangers draft pick but I can't think it helped any either.

Thoughts?

Steve2222

Reaction score
I don't think his drafting had anything to do with his level of play today. RW is mature well beyond his years to let a distraction like that get in the way.

And if the Rangers want to waste a draft pick on Wilson, so be it. He knows his future is in the NFL.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Aros":3p74qbc3 said:
First of all, I am not a baseball fan so the idea that there could be a draft pick by another professional sport of a HUGE player of the sport and team I love DURING THE SEASON of said professional sport really pisses me off.

Sure it's a marketing ploy. I get that. Still, why is it allowed to happen? Isn't there SOME level of courtesy between pro sports? We all know that baseball is a passion of RW. Why in the hell is it okay for them to announce that they have drafted our beloved leader as he is in the mix of going for a championship? Sorry but it just seems wrong to me.

I won't go as far as suggesting that any struggles RW showed today were due to the distraction of the Rangers draft pick but I can't think it helped any either.

Thoughts?

Baseball teams draft football players all the time.

I remember Locker getting drafted while playing at UW.

Not a big deal at all.

KK84

Reaction score
This has been happening for years with nfl players that have baseball backgrounds. I'm not in Russell's head, but I'm assuming it's nowhere near the front of his thoughts during the football season. Non issue from my uninformed and completely guessing point of view.

SeahawksMSHing

Reaction score
my suspicion is when Wilson was called for a sack when his knee was down but threw the ball he got a slight concussion. If you watch the replay his head slams against the ground pretty hard. From that point forward he was off on several throws and reads before then he was his amazing self. Its funny that a QB who has 66% completion 1 td 1 int and 50 yards rushing with a 86 passer rating look bad. Love me some Russell Wilson. If someone can make a gif of the play I am speaking about I think this makes the most sense of what we saw. He was nearly flawless before then sans a few misses Tate normally makes... The baseball distraction is non sense IMO as he was on point to start the game.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Pretty incredible that we're talking about a second year quarterback, who played on the road, ended up with a quarterback rating of 86.3, extended numerous plays with his legs and ended up with 50 yards rushing.....

....and we're wondering why he seemed distracted and didn't look as good as he usually does.

Incredible.

Seafan

Reaction score
No way. He was a mediocre pro baseball player. It's flattering but the Rangers draft football players. That isn't new and it didn't affect RW at all. His mind is on the Cardinals just like it was on the Giants today.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Seafan":1wip4d0e said:
No way. He was a mediocre pro baseball player. It's flattering but the Rangers draft football players. That isn't new and it didn't affect RW at all. His mind is on the Cardinals just like it was on the Giants today.

I wouldn't call Russell a "mediocre" baseball player... this was the 3rd time he's been drafted, mediocre doesn't get drafted 3 times. He played a couple seasons of minor league ball during college... he had modest numbers but baseball players rarely get drafted and then blow up in the bigs the next season... even top prospects typically develop through the minor league system for years before breaking in.

I would bet a lot of money that if RW chose to stick with baseball he would have been playing in the big leagues at some point and had a solid career...

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
One can always tell how well the Hawks are doing by how nervous and paranoid Todd gets. The more neurotic the better.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Hawkpower":22bypa4b said:
I remember Locker getting drafted while playing at UW.
This actually allowed UW another scholarship because Locker was able to take a contact to pay for his schooling... which really makes no sense but that's the NCAA.

Seattle Times":22bypa4b said:
Locker's situation is similar to that of former Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon, who was drafted in the fifth round by the Braves in 2007. Dixon was reported to have received a $150,000 signing bonus and it's thought that Locker may have been seeking something similar. The deal would also have to be enough to pay for Locker's final two years of tuition at UW. By signing, he maintains his eligibility in football but he has to pay his own way and officially be termed a walk-on, opening up a scholarship for the Huskies.
Seattletimes.com

ASuperForce

Reaction score
This move was the equivalent of the Seahawks signing a guy who was released to their practice squad. Wilson is just exclusive to the Rangers now rather than the Rockies. It's much ado about nothing.

Happybelly

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":2nzb704s said:
Seafan":2nzb704s said:

I wouldn't call Russell a "mediocre" baseball player... this was the 3rd time he's been drafted, mediocre doesn't get drafted 3 times. He played a couple seasons of minor league ball during college... he had modest numbers but baseball players rarely get drafted and then blow up in the bigs the next season... even top prospects typically develop through the minor league system for years before breaking in.

I would bet a lot of money that if RW chose to stick with baseball he would have been playing in the big leagues at some point and had a solid career...

He called him a mediocre prospect, which he was. Getting drafted by the Rangers is almost entirely a PR move. The rule 5 draft in general is a joke, it's extremely rare any decent player gets taken in it.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
Aros":utplxifz said:

Thoughts?

First off I agree with you... During his press conference most of the questions were about his being drafted into baseball, not about the game at hand.... He couldn't get away from it even though he tried to push it off as being nothing, but it was special.... It seems wrong to me also, because drafting Russell knowing he is who he is with the Seahawks was stupid and not needed for baseball or football... I think RW handled it well, but it could have distracted him during the week... He's only human, even though he may be super human...

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1yhmxomn said:
One can always tell how well the Hawks are doing by how nervous and paranoid Todd gets. The more neurotic the better.

LOL...I hate you.

BioDawg03

Reaction score
Wilson played parts of two seasons of Minor League baseball.... his slash was .229/.354/.356... for reference, Willie Bloomquist hit .287 in his first year at the same level.... and .356 the second year.... same amount of games.

The last thing people need to worry about is Russell Wilson deciding to be a two sport Athlete... because he isn't going to go from the NFL to riding a bus between A+ or AA small town stadiums near Frisco, Tx.

kearly

Reaction score
Rule 5 draft isn't actually the real draft, it's an essentially worthless ritual that GMs do during the offseason when they lose a couple of the players on the very bottom of their rosters. It is basically the MLB equivalent of the 53 man cutdown roster free agency, except it's managed in a draft style.

I don't even think Wilson was eligible for the rule 5 draft, or if he was it was through a loophole. Either way, it was clearly meant as a joke, as the Rangers have a good team, picked late, and very likely didn't see anyone worth drafting. Even if they were being serious, it's really obvious that Wilson would laugh off being drafted by a baseball team given his status in the NFL right now.

Uffda

Reaction score
Just publicity for them, they drafted Ricky Williams too.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Wilson was under contract with Colorado Rockies BEFORE he was drafted by the Seahawks. The Rangers just acquired that contract.

So I guess the Rockies could have the same beef with the Seahawks that you have with the Texas Rangers, right?