The Rangers Draft Pick of Wilson...A Distraction?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Aros":1ej4zfb8 said:
First of all, I am not a baseball fan so the idea that there could be a draft pick by another professional sport of a HUGE player of the sport and team I love DURING THE SEASON of said professional sport really pisses me off.

Sure it's a marketing ploy. I get that. Still, why is it allowed to happen? Isn't there SOME level of courtesy between pro sports? We all know that baseball is a passion of RW. Why in the hell is it okay for them to announce that they have drafted our beloved leader as he is in the mix of going for a championship? Sorry but it just seems wrong to me.

I won't go as far as suggesting that any struggles RW showed today were due to the distraction of the Rangers draft pick but I can't think it helped any either.

Thoughts?

Aros.. you're awesome.. but this post is pretty funny. :lol:

The Rule 5 draft is generally a meaningless activity, hence why it gets no pub. The Rangers are known to make these out of the blue picks all the time (Ricky Williams, Jameis Winston, etc). I guarantee you Russell Wilson heard about, laughed, then went back to film study.

In regards to his game today.. sometimes you're just not on your A game. Russell played well but did miss throws, throws he makes more often than not. I just chalk it up to that, and have 100% confidence he will be back to his old self the next several weeks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Russell Wilson's supposed bad game is pretty easy to explain.
The weather report I saw called for winds of 18 MPH yesterday. It didn't look that bad, but it was pretty plain to me that deep passing was affected a lot by the wind.
A high pass dropped, a toss to the end zone a half yard too far, an ill advised deep shot. That was the three I saw that were the worst. I'm not really worried, Russ was making his progressions, he was stiffarming Tuck, and when it mattered, he made good throws. Even got a little bench time.

I am far more concerned that it was pretty plain the Giants picked up from film that when Wilson bootlegs off play action, you send his spy after him. Too many times he turned to make his reads and was confronted with a free rusher. The percentages show we don't use the part of the field vacated by that spy very much at all, and savvy defensive coordinators in SF, STL, and now NY have all exploited that part of our offense.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Happybelly":292rod0c said:
LawlessHawk":292rod0c said:
Seafan":292rod0c said:
No way. He was a mediocre pro baseball player. It's flattering but the Rangers draft football players. That isn't new and it didn't affect RW at all. His mind is on the Cardinals just like it was on the Giants today.

I wouldn't call Russell a "mediocre" baseball player... this was the 3rd time he's been drafted, mediocre doesn't get drafted 3 times. He played a couple seasons of minor league ball during college... he had modest numbers but baseball players rarely get drafted and then blow up in the bigs the next season... even top prospects typically develop through the minor league system for years before breaking in.

I would bet a lot of money that if RW chose to stick with baseball he would have been playing in the big leagues at some point and had a solid career...

He called him a mediocre prospect, which he was. Getting drafted by the Rangers is almost entirely a PR move. The rule 5 draft in general is a joke, it's extremely rare any decent player gets taken in it.

Hmmm, I'm reading what he wrote and he called him a mediocre baseball player. Funny, cause everyone thought he was going to be a "mediocre" football player too. Of course it was a PR move and what makes it even more amusing is they paid the Rockies $12k for him.

Latest posts