Hawai'i Hawk Fan taking his son to his first game...

Wolfepack

Reaction score
Aloha guys from Hawai'i!

Any suggestions on what to do, where to go, etc for a Hawai'i Hawk fan taking my son up to his (and my) first game? I've been wanting to take my 8 year old son to see our Hawks play live ever since he was born, but I've been waiting until he was mature enough to appreciate it as much as I would. As a surprise Christmas gift, my wife and I decided this would be the year. I haven't ever seen our boys play live either (except for when they come here to the Pro Bowl), so I'm looking forward to the both of us losing our minds and voices together. We are flying up the week of the Cardinals game (Dec 22). I am helping out with Mike Bennett's clinic here on O'ahu, so he graciously is getting me a pair of tickets. Also in response to a letter I sent to PC, one of his staff invited my son and I to watch the team's walk-through practice on the Saturday before the game at VMAC. As you could imagine, I'm stoked and I'm sure this will be a Christmas my son will never forget as long as he lives.

I also figured I'd bounce this off the Seahawks.net family because I vaguely recall a thread here that shared ideas of what visiting fans could do while in Seattle. If anyone could direct me to that thread or just chime in and give me a few ideas, I'd appreciate it greatly! Outside of the game and walk-through practice, I was thinking about taking my son on that tour of CenturyLink Field on that Friday before the game. Can anyone comment if that's a good tour? I also read on here about Touchdown City, so I'll probably take him to check that out on game day was well. Space Needle? Pike's Place Fish Market? Good places to eat? Keep in mind, my son is 8 years. He mainly is consumed by Seahawks football, so if it's something like an aeronautical museum, no offense but my son probably won't dig it.

Anyways, all advice is welcome! Maybe we'll see some fellow Netters at the game too! The Wolfepack is gonna be Seattle-bound soon enough!

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Some questions first.

Lots to do based on how long you are in town, so how long?

Where are you staying?

Answer these and there should be a mountain of advise.

GO HAWKS!!!

Barthawk

Reaction score
You go Da Kine ProShop yah.. not on game day though brah..

Onolicious grinds are everywhere downtown.. With an 8 y/o I would definitely hit the expo center before the game.

If the weather is not atrocious, I recommend a ferry ride.. pretty cool experience for me when I was that age.

Space Needle is a pretty neat thing to do as well.. although if I had to pick I would still go with the ferry ride. If you do the Space Needle do it on Friday.

Might not be a bad idea to have the little guy wear earplugs too..

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Bring a huge blanket the temps are going to freeze you who are from a weather friendly place. Have fun! We took our boys to the Raiders pre-season game for their first this year.

OP
OP
Wolfepack

Wolfepack

Reaction score
12HawkFan":112h719z said:
Some questions first.

Lots to do based on how long you are in town, so how long?

Where are you staying?

Answer these and there should be a mountain of advise.

GO HAWKS!!!

We'll be in town for about 5 days from Wednesday, December 18 to Monday December 23. We're flying standby home so we might be a little longer. We're staying at a friend's place in Bellevue. Hope that helps ;)

OP
OP
Wolfepack

Wolfepack

Reaction score
Barthawk":1rh7txlb said:
You go Da Kine ProShop yah.. not on game day though brah..

Onolicious grinds are everywhere downtown.. With an 8 y/o I would definitely hit the expo center before the game.

If the weather is not atrocious, I recommend a ferry ride.. pretty cool experience for me when I was that age.

Space Needle is a pretty neat thing to do as well.. although if I had to pick I would still go with the ferry ride. If you do the Space Needle do it on Friday.

Might not be a bad idea to have the little guy wear earplugs too..

Mahalo brah! :)

I think the CenturyLink Field tour said something about meeting at the Pro Shop so we'll probably go a little early to the tour to check it out. I'll definitely look into taking my son on the ferry - hopefully the weather will be kind. Why the Space Needle on Friday? Just curious.

And we got some earplugs too. He's ready for the noise and standing on his feet the whole game if he has to - I told him already.

OP
OP
Wolfepack

Wolfepack

Reaction score
Kixkahn":3uetjebm said:
Bring a huge blanket the temps are going to freeze you who are from a weather friendly place. Have fun! We took our boys to the Raiders pre-season game for their first this year.

Mahalo for the heads up Kixkahn! Do they let you bring a backpack in the stadium (in which I could put a blanket)? Here at aloha stadium they're pretty strict about bags because of possible terrorist stuff.

Lanakila

Reaction score
Howzit Wolfepack and aloha from a Hawaii transplant (Hawaii Kai/Palolo). Definetly wear warm clothes. Thermal underwear, gloves, hat. Everything you carry into the stadium has to be in a clear plastic bag if I recall. You should be able to find that on the stadium website.
You also might consider the ferris wheel which is also located near the aquarium ( much different than the Waikiki aquarium). The Space Needle is good for a trip to the top for a good view of Seattle. Also, next door to that is the Pacific Science Center, although you said that may not intrigue your son, might be worth a shot.
Main thing with an 8 year old from Hawaii is keep 'em warm. Kids lose interest in most anything when they are freezing cold.
Also, I am pretty sure I know where Sherman lives. Give me a call, we could go knock on his door. Nah, kidding, brah.
Anyways, sounds like you have an awesome trip planned. I will also be attending the Cardinals game with my 14 year old daughter. Imua Seahawks!!

OP
OP
Wolfepack

Wolfepack

Reaction score
Lanakila":1ffgvzsa said:
Howzit Wolfepack and aloha from a Hawaii transplant (Hawaii Kai/Palolo). Definetly wear warm clothes. Thermal underwear, gloves, hat. Everything you carry into the stadium has to be in a clear plastic bag if I recall. You should be able to find that on the stadium website.
You also might consider the ferris wheel which is also located near the aquarium ( much different than the Waikiki aquarium). The Space Needle is good for a trip to the top for a good view of Seattle. Also, next door to that is the Pacific Science Center, although you said that may not intrigue your son, might be worth a shot.
Main thing with an 8 year old from Hawaii is keep 'em warm. Kids lose interest in most anything when they are freezing cold.
Also, I am pretty sure I know where Sherman lives. Give me a call, we could go knock on his door. Nah, kidding, brah.
Anyways, sounds like you have an awesome trip planned. I will also be attending the Cardinals game with my 14 year old daughter. Imua Seahawks!!

Aloha mai e Lanakila! Thanks for the warm welcome. We got our clothing squared away and are ready to head up this coming Monday - got a clear Seahawks bag and all. I guess we'll be cheering at the same game! My mom lives in Hawai'i Kai - Sandy Beach was my home break for years. Now I'm in the fire dept and living on the windward side. My friend told me about the Pacific Science Center so I think we gonna go on Friday after the tour of Clink since were already in the area. He also mentioned a place to eat called "Dick's"? Anyways, thanks for the aloha and yeah hit me up so we can go knock on Sherm's door, lol!

Latahz,
Kalu

Reaction score
Aloha, Wolfpacke!

My wife is native Hawaiian (O'ahu). She is also very much in love with the City of Seattle and the area in general, and I'm native to Seattle.

There's lots of great suggestions already in those other linked threads for food, but I'll add Kona Kitchen to the list (if it's not on there already). My wife officially stamped her seal of approval on that for authentically onolicious Hawaiian grinds :)

It is owned by Yuji Okumoto, an actor. He runs a damn good restaurant, too! Yuji's probably best remembered for Macchio's rival in "Karate Kid Part II" and for his Howard Cossell persona in "Better Off Dead".

http://www.konakitchen.com/

Just in case you'd like a taste of home while you guys are here...have a great trip!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very cool Wolfpack. I got married in Maui (stayed in Lahaina), and went to the big island the next year. Hawaii is easily my favorite place on the planet. Enjoy your trip here. The Duck tour is always a cool way to see Seattle, plus your son will love going from land into the water.

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1n119kro said:
Very cool Wolfpack. I got married in Maui (stayed in Lahaina), and went to the big island the next year. Hawaii is easily my favorite place on the planet. Enjoy your trip here. The Duck tour is always a cool way to see Seattle, plus your son will love going from land into the water.

Funny enough, IMO the two most fun-while-learning-about-Seattle activities downtown are the Duck Tour and the Underground Tour (Pioneer Square).

The Locks Tour from the waterfront or Lake Union is also excellent.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Wolfepack":3a1d46sg said:
Kixkahn":3a1d46sg said:

Mahalo for the heads up Kixkahn! Do they let you bring a backpack in the stadium (in which I could put a blanket)? Here at aloha stadium they're pretty strict about bags because of possible terrorist stuff.
It has to be clear, and a small size. May be able to take one if you can unfold it to show nothing in it. I forgot about those "safety" rules that truthfully are all about money. Still have a fun time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Also, Wolfepack, if you do decide to do the locks or an Argosy boat Tour, shoot me a pm, and I can mail you a 2 for 1 coupon from the Entertainment Guide. Would save you a nice chunk of $.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Lieutenant Dan":1f5mjlac said:
Aloha, Wolfpacke!

My wife is native Hawaiian (O'ahu). She is also very much in love with the City of Seattle and the area in general, and I'm native to Seattle.

There's lots of great suggestions already in those other linked threads for food, but I'll add Kona Kitchen to the list (if it's not on there already). My wife officially stamped her seal of approval on that for authentically onolicious Hawaiian grinds :)

It is owned by Yuji Okumoto, an actor. He runs a damn good restaurant, too! Yuji's probably best remembered for Macchio's rival in "Karate Kid Part II" and for his Howard Cossell persona in "Better Off Dead".

Just in case you'd like a taste of home while you guys are here...have a great trip!

Thanks for the tip, haven't heard of this place!

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1ru6qcbl said:
Lieutenant Dan":1ru6qcbl said:
Aloha, Wolfpacke!

Thanks for the tip, haven't heard of this place!

Dude, it's so good. Go HUNGRY!

There's also a neat Hawaiian store not a mile or so south on I-5 from there, on NE 45th (west of I-5 by about two blocks) called Hawaii General Store. Cool people, lots of cool Hawaiian stuff and shirts. Used to be a Winchell's right across the street but alas... :(