ESPN Power Rankings Tuesday 11/26

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling ESPN will finally put us at number 1 (i know we were there earlier in the season, but we should have been back on top sooner) and the Saints number 2 in order to hype up next week's game? Of course these rankings mean nothing at all, evidenced by how high they were ranking the Colts.

davidonmi

Reaction score
tuesday's espn power rankings.
1. Patriots
2. Steelers
3. 49ers
4. Giants
5. Cowboys

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Actually, I think the Seahawks really will be #1. Sac's just hoping his true team tops the list. Traitor.

Steve2222

Reaction score
It will be Seattle and New Orleans the Top 2 teams. MNF has had terrible games this year. They'll hype this one to death.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Steve2222":1tyxnz1p said:
It will be Seattle and New Orleans the Top 2 teams. MNF has had terrible games this year. They'll hype this one to death.

Good point. I can hear ESPN's managers now, directing their writers to rank us and the Saints 1-2. I'll bet they're really regretting that they gave up SNF for MNF. I see where Carolina-New Orleans got flexed into SNF.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
It'll be Seahawks and Saints, 1 and 2 respectively, and not just for the hype, it really is the only way they could do it and maintain any credibility.

drdiags

Reaction score
Peter King had them #1 but only because he felt he had to

1. Seattle (10-1). Tough call for No. 1. Seattle, New England, Carolina, Denver and New Orleans in contention. There is no runaway. This week it’s Seattle. Could be the most rested Monday night game ever in a week. Saints (11 days off) at ’Hawks (14 days off). With the suspension of Walter Thurmond keeping him out the next four games, and the groin injury to Brandon Browner keeping him out at least that long, Seattle will need Byron Maxwell, a third-year dime back from Clemson, to step up in the next four weeks. No problem! ’Hawks just have Drew Brees, Colin Kaepernick, Eli Manning and Carson Palmer on the horizon.

2. New England (8-3). I like a team that, in a short week, can forget the bitter, focus on the now, have an absolutely pathetic half of football, believe a win is still in reach, and reach it. Having Tom Brady helps.

3. Denver (9-2). Trent Dilfer came up with a good stat about Brady having more passing yards into the wind Sunday night than Peyton Manning had in all four quarters. Let’s see. Manning has three straight potential cold and/or windy games coming up (at Kansas City, Tennessee and San Diego at home), and could have playoff games in January in Denver, Foxboro, Kansas City or Cincinnati, and the Super Bowl is on the first Sunday of February in New Jersey. Manning might have to go 6-0 or 5-1 in cold weather to win his second Super Bowl.

4. New Orleans (9-2). No team has it tougher over 21 December days starting next Monday: at 10-1 Seattle, 7-3 Carolina at home, at 4-7 St. Louis, at 7-3 Carolina.

5. Carolina (8-3). Seriously: The Panthers could be No. 2. Seven-game winning streak. Nobody wants to play them now. Pretty mysterious game coming Sunday: Bucs, with their three-game streak, coming to Charlotte

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/25/tony-carter-wes-welker-monday-morning-quarterback/3/

chawx

Reaction score
drdiags":1s3vlsdq said:
1. Seattle (10-1). Tough call for No. 1. Seattle, New England, Carolina, Denver and New Orleans in contention. There is no runaway. This week it’s Seattle. Could be the most rested Monday night game ever in a week. Saints (11 days off) at ’Hawks (14 days off). With the suspension of Walter Thurmond keeping him out the next four games, and the groin injury to Brandon Browner keeping him out at least that long, Seattle will need Byron Maxwell, a third-year dime back from Clemson, to step up in the next four weeks. No problem! ’Hawks just have Drew Brees, Colin Kaepernick, Eli Manning and Carson Palmer on the horizon.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/25/tony-carter-wes-welker-monday-morning-quarterback/3/

What's his point at the end of that paragraph? That the Seahawks actually have a pretty easy schedule when it comes to accurate QBs... (besides Brees, obviously.)

drdiags

Reaction score
chawx, not sure what his point is. Seems he was trying to justify hedging his bet with the Seahawks. I mean he is saying the Panthers have a case for #1 in the popularity poll. He may have gone on a comparable leap last year with the Seahawks, once they started heating up in the second half but I don't seem to remember him doing so. Nor do I understand New England, though they did beat his other choice Denver.

His entire statement on the Seahawks was unclear to me. Either state why they are number 1 or put someone else there. Don't give them a begrudged nod with tons of caveats based on a "what if" because of the WT3 suspension.

But it is an opinion, and he has a nation of 32 teams followers he has to keep from burning up his servers so I understand the weasel wording.

OP
OP
DYLcurry59

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
RiverDog":7zkinybw said:
Steve2222":7zkinybw said:

Good point. I can hear ESPN's managers now, directing their writers to rank us and the Saints 1-2. I'll bet they're really regretting that they gave up SNF for MNF. I see where Carolina-New Orleans got flexed into SNF.

Just in case it wasn't clear, this was the intent of my post. I meant ESPN would rank us and the Saints 1 -2 not because they thought we deserved it, but only because they have the game Monday night.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
We're now #2 in PPG in the entire NFL.

Tied for #2 in PPG allowed in the entire NFL.

#1 in Special Teams according to the posts I read last week.

Only team with 1 loss in the league.

We should absolutely be #1

mrinsatiable

Reaction score
Being number one should only matter to us and not anyone else as the power rankings is just a popularity contest put on by east coast biased writers.
While it's good to see us on top of the rankings I hold very little to how it affects the way i see the seahawks vs the rest of the nfl.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Anybody else catch Al Michaels F-up last night when he introduced the Broncos as the team with "the best record in the league"?

Bzzzzzzzz... wrong.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Funny, I could've swore the Rams were 5-6 and ol' Peter King just put them at 4-7. Doh!

Rocket

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":200gbbbw said:
Anybody else catch Al Michaels F-up last night when he introduced the Broncos as the team with "the best record in the league"?
yep...

in all fairness tho, he's been comatose for 3 years now.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hawks46":3kttwhtm said:
Funny, I could've swore the Rams were 5-6 and ol' Peter King just put them at 4-7. Doh!

Peter King doesn't fact check. If he did, he'd also know the Panthers are 8-3.

ivotuk

Reaction score
DYLcurry59":o0bq24ft said:
Why do I get the feeling ESPN will finally put us at number 1 (i know we were there earlier in the season, but we should have been back on top sooner) and the Saints number 2 in order to hype up next week's game? Of course these rankings mean nothing at all, evidenced by how high they were ranking the Colts.

Excellent point.

I find it strange when an op makes a point, then a few posts later, someone pulls that point out of the statement and makes it their own. *shrug*