Malcolm Smith

CaptBennett

Reaction score
I was listening to 710am and Brock and Danny were discussing the Seahawks D on stopping the run, then they mentioned how when Smith makes an immediate impact everytime he is on the field. When he was pulled from the OLB position after Wagner was healthy again (Monday Night St. Louis) it might of had a factor on exposing our run defense, but Smith is not the only reason for the inconsistent run defense, it may just be a fluke. Although he is a factor, I really enjoy seeing him on the field and enjoyed today's featured article on the .com.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 36b4e5c3c9

I mean just look at his stats, he has not even played half the amount of games from 2012 and has more tackles from 8 games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... colm-smith

Not taking anything away form KJ Wright, but Smith has proven to me to be a starting LB in this league. He is a lighter, but faster LB that puts 100% into every game. :229031_shrug:

Hawks46

Reaction score
They keep listing him at 226, but he looks a lot thicker than he did last year.

I also agree he looks very good when in game. He's light in the pants, but he manages to fill the gaps and get through blocks or beat OLmen to the spot rather than shedding blocks. He's also better in coverage than Wright is; Wright has better length but he seems to be consistently 1-2 steps behind TE's when he's covering them. Wright plays better downhill and running forward, while Smith seems to be better at sideline to sideline.

plyka

Reaction score
CaptBennett":1bq0qpyw said:
I was listening to 710am and Brock and Danny were discussing the Seahawks D on stopping the run, then they mentioned how when Smith makes an immediate impact everytime he is on the field. When he was pulled from the OLB position after Wagner was healthy again (Monday Night St. Louis) it might of had a factor on exposing our run defense, but Smith is not the only reason for the inconsistent run defense, it may just be a fluke. Although he is a factor, I really enjoy seeing him on the field and enjoyed today's featured article on the .com.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 36b4e5c3c9

I mean just look at his stats, he has not even played half the amount of games from 2012 and has more tackles from 8 games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... colm-smith

Not taking anything away form KJ Wright, but Smith has proven to me to be a starting LB in this league. He is a lighter, but faster LB that puts 100% into every game. :229031_shrug:

It would be nice if the hawks rotated their LBs like they do the dline. I heard Carroll hint that they would start doing just that. I think its a great idea.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I'm a Malcolm Smith fan and love him as a situational player and injury replacement as our 4th LB, where his below-average size but above-average speed can be effectively maximized. But I think he'd get worn down and overexposed as an every-down starting LB.

IcedHawk

Reaction score
Is Macolm Smith a liability in pass coverage? Because if he isn't, he should be in A LOT more.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
IcedHawk":30umzfvi said:
Is Macolm Smith a liability in pass coverage? Because if he isn't, he should be in A LOT more.

Well, he was part of the group that got lit up by Matt Schaub's dink and dunk offense in Houston. Palmer did pretty well at dinking and dunking with him in the group as well. That being said, we have to be cautious not to confuse correlation with causation. Same is true with the results we've seen vs. the run since Wagner returned. I don't think the answers are that simple.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If these run and giving up third down pass conversion problems keep happening, you're going to see more and more of Smith.

Seeker

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1cjcwn35 said:
IcedHawk":1cjcwn35 said:

Well, he was part of the group that got lit up by Matt Schaub's dink and dunk offense in Houston. Palmer did pretty well at dinking and dunking with him in the group as well. That being said, we have to be cautious not to confuse correlation with causation. Same is true with the results we've seen vs. the run since Wagner returned. I don't think the answers are that simple.

I agree 100%.
I hope my comments haven't made it seem as if replacing Wagner (who I do not think is the entire problem) will fix everything. it seems more of a mentality thing than anything (eg, take on your blockers, fit your gaps).

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Smith is Ok in pass coverage but can be far better. The dude has wheels look at his 30 times.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I found this interesting on Pro Football Focus this morning:

Seattle Seahawks: Outside linebacker Bruce Irvin is one of just two 4-3 outside linebackers dynamic enough to have a +1.0 rating or better in run defense, pass rushing and coverage, as well as not committing a penalty yet. The other player is his teammate Malcolm Smith.

And Malcolm is not playing... why?

Johnny

Reaction score
I love Smith he has come a far way from a 'raw 7th rd pick', He is one of our best STs players and is a key backup for the LB position he can play two spots and that holds value in the eyes of Carroll.

Speaking of backup linebackers. What has happened to O'Brien Schofield?

He looked promising when we brought him in and now it seems like he never gets to play.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Fieldgulls had written a great article on Malcolm Smith this Spring LINK

It is clear that Smith has really worked on his weaknesses, allowing him to utilize his speed more. It was very strange during OTA's and training camp when they started using Smith at SLB....he just seems like a proto-typical 4-3 WLB. I was convinced midway through last season that Bobby Wagner - though a very quality player - is not best suited for MLB. Wagner also seems like a prototypical WLB, allowing him to use his speed in space. Wright's lack of speed (comparatively) and extra size seems best suited for MLB.

Not sure we will see any wholesale changes this season, but I would not be at all surprised to see some position adjustments next off-season, or at least more interchangeable LB pieces

scutterhawk

Reaction score
plyka":1yt15bkz said:
It would be nice if the hawks rotated their LBs like they do the dline. I heard Carroll hint that they would start doing just that. I think its a great idea.

This.