Smith Njigbas snap count

warden

Reaction score
Games when we score 20 points or less, Smith Njigba is involved in 69% of the snaps

Games where we score more then 20 points, Smith Njigba is involved in 54% of the snaps

This thread is by no means a knock on Smith Njigba. I like the kid

This thread is to show that the more often we use TE sets the more successful we have been. Extra TEs help an injured line, we have quality TEs. We run more with two TEs

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'd guess playing from behind (less than 20 points category) leads to more passing plays than running plays which pushes JSN onto the field more often.

Playing with a lead (more than 20 points category) means the offense can mix things up and run the ball more, which takes JSN off the field and brings in more tightends.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There's obviously some protection problems when the Hawks go three WR sets.

Hugh Millen was talking about this morning, the Detroit game we used two TE sets for over half the snaps. Last week against the Ravens? Less than 30%.

So yeah, it seems the more we try to get JSN involved, the worse Geno plays due to protection issues.

Not exactly a linear line between these two things. But this team is built to run the ball and use it's TE's effectively in not only pass-pro, but as effective pass catchers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You would THINK that if there are protection issues, they would pound the rock more and/or the quick passing game. Imagine that, actually adjusting.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Does that mean don't run when tied or down by 1 score?

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge believer in running the ball, including when we are tied or down (even down more than one score). I think NFL teams, including us, abandon the run much much too early.

My point was simply that teams will run more when they are ahead. And when we are running a lot, JSN gets fewer snaps.

toffee

Reaction score
There's obviously some protection problems when the Hawks go three WR sets.

Hugh Millen was talking about this morning, the Detroit game we used two TE sets for over half the snaps. Last week against the Ravens? Less than 30%.

So yeah, it seems the more we try to get JSN involved, the worse Geno plays due to protection issues.

Not exactly a linear line between these two things. But this team is built to run the ball and use it's TE's effectively in not only pass-pro, but as effective pass catchers.
Just win baby!

If our team, at this moment, wins more with two TE sets. Let's do that! Just because we drafted JSN in first round, doesn't mean that we must force 3 WRs sets to justify drafting him in the first, in the end:

JUST WIN.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The sample size is too small and you’re not controlling for other variables that have more effect than whether JSN or a TE is on the field.

Latest posts