quick slant plays?

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
First off, hello everyone! First time writer, long time lurker here. Have spent many hours on here reading, and learning, and for that I say thank you. Watching the offense this season, I have been a little disappointed at times. Even though i see glimpses of what it can be, the majority of the time its just hard to watch. The one thing that really sticks out to me is the lack of passing to the middle of the field, especially the quick slant. Why do we shy away from the middle? Is this just me? Every pass seems to go to the outside! Maybe im nuts, but would like some of your input.

Cartire

Reaction score
No one is gonna want to hear this, but this is the truth. Quick slants require three step drops. Wilson's height does become a factor here without a throwing lane.

pehawk

Reaction score
Cartire":amtm6uzy said:
No one is gonna want to hear this, but this is the truth. Quick slants require three step drops. Wilson's height does become a factor here without a throwing lane.

It positively is the truth.

I'm sure Denver doesn't complain that Manning doesn't run the RO well.

Largent80

Reaction score
It could be that we are waiting for Miller and Harvin to be in the line up. But yeah, without our bookend tackles it makes it hard to throw the slant.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think it's a complicated question. Firstly, on a philosophical level, I don't think Pete likes the idea of inching up the field on short and medium throws. He'd rather pound it in the running game and get chunk yardage on explosive passes. One, this creates a time of possession advantage that helps his defense. Two, this limits turnovers because you're not relying on as many throws. Secondly, there's some question as to how effectively Russell can work the short passing game due to his height.

However, we did see Bevell work in quite a few quick slants last week because defenses are starting to force them to by playing a safety miles off the LOS. I'm guessing they're going to continue to do this because defenses are practically begging Seattle to beat them on short and medium throws.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
quick slant also doesn't work very well when defenses have LBs in the box to stop the run, but not neccessarily run-blitzing for fear of over-pursuing because they would rather hold lynch to a 3 yard gain than over-pursue and leave it up to safeties and CB's to try to stop him if he gets out.

Also most people know that baldwin and tate are guys who can catch those quick slant balls so they protect against it and force us to do other things.

It's not as simple as playing madden and getting an automatic first down every time someone is in man coverage and you run a quick slant to beat it.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":a0ryuimd said:
You can run this play out of shotgun. You don't have to do a three step drop from under center. He has completed these passes before. They tried two of these against Tennessee, one was not a great throw, the second was perfect, but well covered.

Laloosh

Reaction score
DavidSeven":17749q2h said:
I think it's a complicated question. Firstly, on a philosophical level, I don't think Pete likes the idea of inching up the field on short and medium throws. He'd rather pound it in the running game and get chunk yardage on explosive passes. One, this creates a time of possession advantage that helps his defense. Two, this limits turnovers because you're not relying on as many throws. Secondly, there's some question as to how effectively Russell can work the short passing game due to his height.

However, we did see Bevell work in quite a few quick slants last week because defenses are starting to force them to by playing a safety miles off the LOS. I'm guessing they're going to continue to do this because defenses are practically begging Seattle to beat them on short and medium throws.

True. My big question is, why did it take until week 6 for Bevell to provide RW w/ some routes like this to avoid three and outs or unnecessary scrambles if the route is just there?

seedhawk

Reaction score
Our problem with quick slants is, Sidney couldn't run one right if you lit his pants on fire, Tate actually is way better at either jump balls or stepping back and in effect becoming another Rb. Baldwin has what we need, and everyone else in the League knows it so, we put DB in the slot, they cheat inside to take away the slant.

So wizards, just who else on our team can line up in the right position, run a quick slant and not be cheated on?

Cartire

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":44ze0e20 said:
Cartire":44ze0e20 said:
You can run this play out of shotgun. You don't have to do a three step drop from under center. He has completed these passes before. They tried two of these against Tennessee, one was not a great throw, the second was perfect, but well covered.

You are correct. Not saying it's not possible, but it is a factor. And quick slants out of shotgun are easier to swat then under center three steps.

I'm not knocking Wilson here. He has multiple other skills and smarts that he excels above others with. But his height is a factor in these quick slants. If you watch players like Manning and Matt Ryan, you can watch how a lot of these slants are thrown right over the heads of the lineman. Something unfortunately Wilson can't always get away with.

pehawk

Reaction score
Be it Bevell, Cable's or Wilson's preference for play-action, it would appear this will never be. Someone on the Seahawks think's play-action's so great, they'd make love to it. Sweet, sweet love to it. Most likely on Cable's liberator.

OP
OP
N

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
once harvin gets back we'll have four great slot guys, it would be shame not to use them. Seems to me that the LBs already have a lot on their plate with just wilson and lynch, would be hard to cover at the same time. The long passes to the outside(usually includes a jump ball situation) seem like more of a turnover risk. IMO, the quick slant plays in real well with "ground and pound" style.

AceBoogie715

Reaction score
I see that we run slants every blue moon. I do think RW's height comes in to play here. Defenses also tend to load the box against our offense. They'd rather stop our run and let their corners and safties man up with our receivers. I don't blame them, especially considering our receivers aren't technically our strength.

pehawk

Reaction score
Eventually PFF and Football Outsiders will adjust their ratings based on this thread. Wilson just aint gonna be a slant guy. Which means our innocent offensive line gets victimized by bullies, like FO and PFF.

Stop Bullying.

suppaball

Reaction score
More will come last year they waited to open the play book until about this time of the year. However slants shouldn't be considered opening the play book .

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":26r0ysb0 said:
BAllenHawk":26r0ysb0 said:
Cartire":26r0ysb0 said:

You are correct. Not saying it's not possible, but it is a factor. And quick slants out of shotgun are easier to swat then under center three steps.

I'm not knocking Wilson here. He has multiple other skills and smarts that he excels above others with. But his height is a factor in these quick slants. If you watch players like Manning and Matt Ryan, you can watch how a lot of these slants are thrown right over the heads of the lineman. Something unfortunately Wilson can't always get away with.

Absolutely agree his height does create limitations whether people want to hear it or not, but the quick passing game is something I think he can do and do well. I think the offensive scheme plays into not running the short passing plays as much as Russell's height does.

OP
OP
N

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
IMO, quick slants would open up the read option and run game, by keeping LBs on their toes

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I think he can do that cuz I've seen him do it. Also, he's not much shorter than Brees and his high throwing motion should counter his height. I think its just a philosophical reason why we don't see it too often

OP
OP
N

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":3l8yr8xx said:
Cartire":3l8yr8xx said:
BAllenHawk":3l8yr8xx said:
Cartire":3l8yr8xx said:

Absolutely agree his height does create limitations whether people want to hear it or not, but the quick passing game is something I think he can do and do well. I think the offensive scheme plays into not running the short passing plays as much as Russell's height does.

I hope this is true