quick slant plays?

seanoob

Reaction score
Love this kind of discussion. I'm curious what will happen when #11 comes back.

OP
OP
N

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
seanoob":3e5x4042 said:
Love this kind of discussion. I'm curious what will happen when #11 comes back.
no shit. would hate to have a badass in the slot, and not be able to hit him on a slant route

formido

Reaction score
Cartire":20bytddi said:
No one is gonna want to hear this, but this is the truth. Quick slants require three step drops. Wilson's height does become a factor here without a throwing lane.

Not even sure what you mean. .NET eats this up now. Even though Wilson's height is by far the least important consideration in how our offense works, even though we have just enormous evidence that Carroll hates the short, rhythm passing game, even though we have a QB in this very league (Brees) at the same eye and release level who thrives on the short passing game, and even though we started to work in short passes in obvious response to how defenses are playing us and not in response to a sudden Wilson growth spurt...every other post is about Wilson's height. Folks should read the posted fieldgulls article.

Later in the year, Wilson will be more efficient in his production. How will it be explained? Will he have gotten taller? Last season Wilson was #5 in passer rating. Was he taller then? Seattle's offense is 7th in the NFL in DVOA. Are all the QBs below him shorter than Wilson?

OP
OP
N

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
formido":2wuoo97a said:
Cartire":2wuoo97a said:
No one is gonna want to hear this, but this is the truth. Quick slants require three step drops. Wilson's height does become a factor here without a throwing lane.

Not even sure what you mean. .NET eats this up now. Even though Wilson's height is by far the least important consideration in how our offense works, even though we have just enormous evidence that Carroll hates the short, rhythm passing game, even though we have a QB in this very league (Brees) at the same eye and release level who thrives on the short passing game, and even though we started to work in short passes in obvious response to how defenses are playing us and not in response to a sudden Wilson growth spurt...every other post is about Wilson's height. Folks should read the posted fieldgulls article.

Later in the year, Wilson will be more efficient in his production. How will it be explained? Will he have gotten taller? Last season Wilson was #5 in passer rating. Was he taller then? Seattle's offense is 7th in the NFL in DVOA. Are all the QBs below him shorter than Wilson?
have a hard time seeing any coach disliking the quick slant. such a beautiful play, works well on third down as well

DavidSeven

Reaction score
non-prophet.org":3nadzj1f said:
have a hard time seeing any coach disliking the quick slant. such a beautiful play, works well on third down as well

It's also more likely to be intercepted.

OP
OP
N

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
DavidSeven":i6ec7xd7 said:
non-prophet.org":i6ec7xd7 said:

as opposed to what?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
non-prophet.org":1fldbbmh said:
DavidSeven":1fldbbmh said:
non-prophet.org":1fldbbmh said:

as opposed to what?

Balls thrown toward the outside or deep middle where there are less defensive bodies.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Brees is the same height and throws slants so I don't think its because of his height. I think its more a factor of who we have at receiver and the type of defenses we see. It could also be because of Bevell. Wilson is tall enough to throw a slant its just not called.

OP
OP
N

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3uctodq1 said:
non-prophet.org":3uctodq1 said:
DavidSeven":3uctodq1 said:
non-prophet.org":3uctodq1 said:

as opposed to what?

Balls thrown toward the outside or deep middle where there are less defensive bodies.
This seems extremely situational

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cartire":e0w1uouv said:

Wilson threw slants last year with no problems.

The problem this year is quick slants require separation by the WR's, and that my friend is the difference between this year and last with the slants. How many quick slants this year have we seen by our offense on 3rd and 5 batted down by the DB? Way too many.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
non-prophet.org":2uhrufh2 said:

A throw toward a corner route should be virtually impossible to intercept if thrown accurately, unless you're facing a 6'3 cornerback with elite ball skills like Richard Sherman. An accurate throw toward a quick slant can bounce off a receiver's pads or be tipped toward a defender. A linebacker or shallow safety can also undercut the route and step right in the passing lane.

Ozzy

Reaction score
So if he threw them last year, threw them in college and Drew Brees throws them can we stop saying its because he's short? It's just not true.

OP
OP
N

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3mg25irg said:
non-prophet.org":3mg25irg said:

A throw toward a corner route should be virtually impossible to intercept if thrown accurately, unless you're facing a 6'3 cornerback with elite ball skills like Richard Sherman. An accurate throw toward a quick slant can bounce off a receiver's pads or be tipped toward a defender. A linebacker or shallow safety can also undercut the route and step right in the passing lane.
i understand there's more risk involved due to a bounce or a tip in the middle of the field. does that mean we should shy away from it all together. i think the reward is greater than the risk. the risk seems pretty high with the jump ball situations on the sideline as well. still extremely situational depending on down/defense. we have extremely physical wrs give them the ball and let them pound for yards. feels like we are on the verge of becoming too predictable in regards to the pass game

DavidSeven

Reaction score
non-prophet.org":3huztd5p said:
DavidSeven":3huztd5p said:
non-prophet.org":3huztd5p said:

i understand there's more risk involved due to a bounce or a tip in the middle of the field. does that mean we should shy away from it all together. i think the reward is greater than the risk. the risk seems pretty high with the jump ball situations on the sideline as well. still extremely situation depending on down/defense. we have extremely physical wrs give them the ball and let them pound for yards. feels like we are on the verge of becoming to predictable in regards to the pass game

No, I agree that it needs to be mixed in because of the way opposing teams are starting to defend us and because of our protection issues. I just think Carroll has historically shied away from those throws because there is a higher inherent risk of turnover, and that's the #1 thing he is concerned about on the offensive side of the ball. I honestly don't think he minds being predictable, because he feels our run game will wear teams out, even if they're expecting it.

Cartire

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is understanding what I'm saying. I didn't say he can't or hasn't. But it is more difficult. And Bree's hardly thrives on slant routes, I don't know where your getting that info from. I'm kinda getting tired of people here creating these all or none attitudes. I never said he couldn't or doesn't. But it is more difficult, being a reason why it isn't done as often.

OP
OP
N

non-prophet.org

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2auo5ysd said:
non-prophet.org":2auo5ysd said:
DavidSeven":2auo5ysd said:
non-prophet.org":2auo5ysd said:

i understand there's more risk involved due to a bounce or a tip in the middle of the field. does that mean we should shy away from it all together. i think the reward is greater than the risk. the risk seems pretty high with the jump ball situations on the sideline as well. still extremely situation depending on down/defense. we have extremely physical wrs give them the ball and let them pound for yards. feels like we are on the verge of becoming to predictable in regards to the pass game

No, I agree that it needs to be mixed in because of the way opposing teams are starting to defend us and because of our protection issues. I just think Carroll has historically shied away from those throws because there is a higher inherent risk of turnover, and that's the #1 thing he is concerned about on the offensive side of the ball. I honestly don't think he minds being predictable, because he feels our run game will wear teams out, even if they're expecting it.
this recipe has been good for the team so far. just not so good for my heart!

mikeak

Reaction score
Wasn't the first offensive play of the Titans game a slant across the middle?

I was thinking - HERE WE GO and this will open up the deep ball

Either way it was a short yardage completion. I also saw a couple of "curl-ins" by Rice and a few Tate slants that didn't develop

I am curious to what the one play would be that he would change. I saw one play where Rice was WIDE OPEN on the right hand side. RW picked the shorter pass to Tate which was tougher with more bodies but we did get the first down. Rice had another 15 yards and was easy to hit and if it had been timed right would have been beatiful to watch.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Not trying to be argumentative or a jerk but thats how I took your initial response....as basically saying he CAN'T. I was wrong. I never said Brees lives off of short slants but they are used in the Saints passing game. I just don't think the reason we aren't using them has anything to do with how tall he is. I have no way of proving this so its pointless to argue...I just tend to agree with Sgt. Largent on this one.