Bevell is great.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
He is! Always was, always will be. He got a lot of crap when the team was under performing, it's time to give him his due.

drdiags

Reaction score
Lets see, I need to stir the pot as things are getting boring. I know, let me start a post that I know will generate some nice vitriol from both sides. Yeah, there are tons of posts about the topic but I have my own spin.

Discuss.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
"The thing most of you don't know is that deep down, he really is a good boy."

-Jeffry Dahmer's mom

OP
OP
A

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
You guys are all hilarious! I'm dying over here.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
More reactionary:

A) Fans
or
B) Donald Trump

Bevell didn't grow a brain overnight. We have several seasons of bizarre decisions by him and the last three games don't erase that. It takes more than a few games against bad defenses to buck a trend.

Still, for those that are encouraged, don't let us naysayers discourage you. Maybe he and the offense have finally turned the corner. I really hope so. Thus far Patrick Lewis looks like the Offensive MVP...

AceBoogie715

Reaction score
I live in Athens, Georgia (home of the Bulldogs) and we just fired our head coach Mark Richt. After years and years of under-performing, Richt got the boot a few weeks ago. Although the firing brings joy and eagerness, it also raises questions and brings nervousness about what's next. Richt was a good coach who had more ups than downs but he found his ceiling with the student-athletes here and it was time for a change.

I believe the same is to be said here with Bevell. He has spurts where he calls great games and then others like the Super Bowl that leaves us scratching our heads. Hypothetically, let's say we win the Super Bowl this year...Do we still fire Bevell? I say yes, simply because its time for a change but a firing of someone he's been more consistent than not is tough regardless.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
AceBoogie715":f47ph94u said:
I live in Athens, Georgia (home of the Bulldogs) and we just fired our head coach Mark Richt. After years and years of under-performing, Richt got the boot a few weeks ago. Although the firing brings joy and eagerness, it also raises questions and brings nervousness about what's next. Richt was a good coach who had more ups than downs but he found his ceiling with the student-athletes here and it was time for a change.

I believe the same is to be said here with Bevell. He has spurts where he calls great games and then others like the Super Bowl that leaves us scratching our heads. Hypothetically, let's say we win the Super Bowl this year...Do we still fire Bevell? I say yes, simply because its time for a change but a firing of someone he's been more consistent than not is tough regardless.

I love Athens. My favorite college town in the US.

Anyways, this post is obviously a smokescreen in case BYU is checking in to see what Hawk fans think of Bevs

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":jp5ts7ol said:
Bevell didn't grow a brain overnight. We have several seasons of bizarre decisions by him and the last three games don't erase that. It takes more than a few games against bad defenses to buck a trend.

"Bizarre decisions" according to who? There are gut feelings and there are facts. The facts actually show that Bevell & Co. have fielded one of the NFL's best offenses in every year since 2012. If you have actual numbers that show me the offense has under-performed all this time, please provide.

DVOA Offense Ranks:

2015 - #4 (through Week 12, excluding @MN)
2014 - #5
2013 - #7
2012 - #4

It takes more than gut feelings and group-think about playcalls to buck real trends that are supported by facts.

OP
OP
A

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3a99m35t said:
Thunderhawk":3a99m35t said:

"Bizarre decisions" according to who? There are gut feelings and there are facts. The facts actually show that Bevell & Co. have fielded one of the NFL's best offenses in every year since 2012. If you have actual numbers that show me the offense has under-performed all this time, please provide.

DVOA Offense Ranks:

2014 - #5
2013 - #7
2012 - #4

It takes more than gut feelings and group-think about playcalls to buck real trends that are supported by facts.

Please don't bring logic and facts into this. Marshawns Lynch's mom should be our OC.

I'm not gonna argue about this but I'm going to let it off my chest. Anyone that understands the X n O's knows that call on the goal-line was the right call. Execution was poor, but that's a deadly deadly call 90% of the time. I have not watched the bowl since and probably never will in my life.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":qoezl5dm said:

DVOA Offense Ranks:

2014 - #5
2013 - #7
2012 - #4

I love citing DVOA. But I don't love applying it as a deodorant for flawed coaching. Gus Bradley was a mediocre DC IMO, who struggled with soft zones and ineffective blitzing. But his defenses ranked 10th in 2011 and 2nd in 2012 in defensive DVOA. He hardly earned those rankings because his defense was loaded with HoF caliber talent playing a simple scheme. I was happy to see Bradley go, and when he was replaced by a better DC in Dan Quinn, the defense played at a historic level.

For that reason, and many others, I don't think citing DVOA does a very good job of explaining Bevell's performance. Even great units can have a weak link. Even Greg Knapp had a good offense when he had Jeff Garcia, Garrison Hearst, and Terrell Owens. Imagine what he'd do with the talent in Seattle the past 3.5 years? Probably about the same as Bevell.

Now that said, I'm not anti-Bevell as much as I am frustrated by his inability to put Wilson in a position to succeed. The past three weeks have proven decisively that Wilson's struggles really just came down to scheme fit issues, the offense just wasn't putting Wilson in position to succeed. Rather, it was putting Marshawn Lynch in a position to succeed.

But now, things have shifted and the offense is actually doing smart things to allow Wilson to play up to his HoFer potential. The playcalling has gotten better too. Everything is starting to click. And I think Bevell deserves a ton of credit for all that.

So I'm fine with keeping Bevell at this point, hell, he seems like an honest to goodness asset, but it's pretty much entirely because of what he's done in the last 3 weeks scheming the offense for a post-Lynch era, not because he piggybacked on a loaded roster for high DVOA scores in previous seasons.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Fair enough, kearly. But then my only question is, who is likely more responsible for emphasizing the Lynch-centered, ball-control offense over developing a quick-strike, middle-of-the-field passing game? To me, that smells a lot like Pete Carroll and Tom Cable. And you can't really blame them since that formula was wildly successful for a long time. With a porous O-line, a vulnerable defense, and the loss of Lynch, we've seen a shift in approach that was born out of necessity. Carroll/Cable could no longer afford to keep their shackles on the passing game.

And now I could just as easily argue that what we've seen over the past few weeks is Bevell finally being uncuffed and liberated from his obligations to Marshawn Lynch, high-priced FA acquisitions, and defensive positioning. The truth is, we don't really know who dictates the philosophy, but one thing we've consistently seen from this staff is their ability to adjust and mold this offense into whatever it needs to be in any given year. And everyone deserves some credit for that, because the numbers prove their success. And I'll disagree with you on one other point: we've been successful offensively in spite of having less-than-stellar talent to work with over the past few years.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
AceBoogie715":uenbpssr said:

Not to detract from the OP but I can't help myself. That firing was stupid. Underperforming? Georgia has been pretty good under Richt. It's so ironic how the dumbest people run Universities. Seems like colleges only care about beating their rivals. You know how often I heard people at Wazzu say, "I don't care how many games we lose as long as beat U Dub". Look how long it took just to get a playoff system in Div I football. Every other division had it, from high school to Div II. Not them though.
:pukeface:

Overseasfan

Reaction score
The reason the offense is doing well is because of the players. The line is coming together nicely. Baldwin and Lockett are playing solid football, Rawls is getting 100+ yards every game and Wilson is playing better than ever. Bevell's schemes haven't changed as much and I still feel like we should replace him if someone more capable is available.

Ozzy

Reaction score
kearly":2xsm159l said:
DavidSeven":2xsm159l said:

DVOA Offense Ranks:

2014 - #5
2013 - #7
2012 - #4

I love citing DVOA. But I don't love applying it as a deodorant for flawed coaching. Gus Bradley was a mediocre DC IMO, who struggled with soft zones and ineffective blitzing. But his defenses ranked 10th in 2011 and 2nd in 2012 in defensive DVOA. He hardly earned those rankings because his defense was loaded with HoF caliber talent playing a simple scheme. I was happy to see Bradley go, and when he was replaced by a better DC in Dan Quinn, the defense played at a historic level.

For that reason, and many others, I don't think citing DVOA does a very good job of explaining Bevell's performance. Even great units can have a weak link. Even Greg Knapp had a good offense when he had Jeff Garcia, Garrison Hearst, and Terrell Owens. Imagine what he'd do with the talent in Seattle the past 3.5 years? Probably about the same as Bevell.

Now that said, I'm not anti-Bevell as much as I am frustrated by his inability to put Wilson in a position to succeed. The past three weeks have proven decisively that Wilson's struggles really just came down to scheme fit issues, the offense just wasn't putting Wilson in position to succeed. Rather, it was putting Marshawn Lynch in a position to succeed.

But now, things have shifted and the offense is actually doing smart things to allow Wilson to play up to his HoFer potential. The playcalling has gotten better too. Everything is starting to click. And I think Bevell deserves a ton of credit for all that.

So I'm fine with keeping Bevell at this point, hell, he seems like an honest to goodness asset, but it's pretty much entirely because of what he's done in the last 3 weeks scheming the offense for a post-Lynch era, not because he piggybacked on a loaded roster for high DVOA scores in previous seasons.
This is a great post. Well done Kearly