Bevell is great.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":2lufsuhw said:
Aros":2lufsuhw said:
Hi Bevell's Mom.

I think we determined that Sioux Hawk (or whatever the handle is) is Bevell's mom.

Sister, maybe??
Nice try Lawful Hawk, but just a devout supporter of the Hawks who wants to see them succeed and believes Bevell, with a sound record for helping them achieve that success already, is the best fit to guide our offense. Many chose to panic and hurl juvenile insults. But there were a few of us who used sound judgement and kept the faith that our OC would help our team finish strong again.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Great discourse in this thread. Really appreciate the thoughtful response from Scottemojo and the post from Recon above.

I think there's a lot to unpack here with regard to the uptick in offense. Certainly, as Scotte suggests, the timing of the upward swing after the bye week points in the direction of schematic changes, as that is usually the only time Seattle will do a significant install of plays. But my hunch is that a scheme change doesn't really tell the entire story and that there are still tried-and-true things we're still doing, but just doing better from an executional standpoint. The recent effectiveness of our screens is definitely a big one. The rub concepts we've seen recently may be more nuanced than what we ran before, but there also seems to be a bigger emphasis on getting the ball out decisively and quickly -- perhaps by making it more obvious to Russ who the ball needs to go to. I want to say we're also creating better passing lanes (via protection) for Russ, in anticipation of his quick-reads, but I could be dreaming there. Biggest of all, Russ is playing out of his mind and has never, ever looked this decisive and this polished from the pocket. He's been Aaron-Rodgers-Money these last few games.

HawkerD

Reaction score
AceBoogie715":30hcefko said:
I live in Athens, Georgia (home of the Bulldogs) and we just fired our head coach Mark Richt. After years and years of under-performing, Richt got the boot a few weeks ago. Although the firing brings joy and eagerness, it also raises questions and brings nervousness about what's next. Richt was a good coach who had more ups than downs but he found his ceiling with the student-athletes here and it was time for a change.

I believe the same is to be said here with Bevell. He has spurts where he calls great games and then others like the Super Bowl that leaves us scratching our heads. Hypothetically, let's say we win the Super Bowl this year...Do we still fire Bevell? I say yes, simply because its time for a change but a firing of someone he's been more consistent than not is tough regardless.
I guess in the end you'll find out what you had in few years. You might be wishing you had him back. But hey, if you ain't trying to get better you never will

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1a5ore0p said:
LawlessHawk":1a5ore0p said:
Aros":1a5ore0p said:
Hi Bevell's Mom.

I think we determined that Sioux Hawk (or whatever the handle is) is Bevell's mom.

Sister, maybe??
Nice try Lawful Hawk, but just a devout supporter of the Hawks who wants to see them succeed and believes Bevell, with a sound record for helping them achieve that success already, is the best fit to guide our offense. Many chose to panic and hurl juvenile insults. But there were a few of us who used sound judgement and kept the faith that our OC would help our team finish strong again.

Good post Sioux. The bolded sentence was a little unnecessary though, don't you think? So those who don't agree with you about Bevell aren't using sound judgment? Many .NET posters who are of sound judgment (based on their quality posts) still don't think Bevell is a great OC but the Seahawk offense is playing better of late. As a Seahawk fan, for me, the fact they are winning trumps all. My biggest complaint about Bevell was the inability to function effectively in the red zone. They were abysmal in that area the first half of the season. They have improved in that area over the past 3 weeks. A big reason why they are scoring in the 30s rather than in the low 20s.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":d49witwf said:
Siouxhawk":d49witwf said:
LawlessHawk":d49witwf said:
Aros":d49witwf said:
Hi Bevell's Mom.

Sister, maybe??

Good post Sioux. The bolded sentence was a little unnecessary though, don't you think? So those who don't agree with you about Bevell aren't using sound judgment? Many .NET posters who are of sound judgment (based on their posting history) still don't think Bevell is a great OC but the Seahawk offense is playing better of late. As a Seahawk fan, for me, the fact they are winning trumps all. My biggest complaint about Bevell was the inability to function effectively in the red zone. They were abysmal in that area the first half of the season. They have improved in that area over the past 3 weeks. A big reason why they are scoring in the 30s rather than in the low 20s.
Thanks fan68, the "a few of us" comment was highlighting just that ... posters like DavidSeven, Recon, Cartire and myself who saw the value in Bevell when many around us blamed far too much on Bevell and another handful of hate mongers were so caustic with their disdain for him that it was really beyond belief. I was berated because my belief stemmed from the fact that he had helped us get to the promised land of a Super Bowl before and I knew it was a long season. Glad it's working out.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This thread is the exhibit a of how seahawks.net is the best website in the world.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
mikeak":2a9wdr0l said:
Let's see if things looks as good when we play elite defenses...

Am I missing a sarcasm emoji here?

I don't expect them to look as good against elite defenses. That's what makes elite defenses elite but then Brady, Rogers, Manning on and on also don't look the same when facing us.

Hopefully they will be more productive than the early part of the year. That really is the goal right? From there hopefully our defense really has turned a corner and we can rely on it when needed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mikeak":3f4j6kyt said:
Why would they need half a season to self scout????

Honestly they could go on this forum and have been told the issues a long time ago....

And don't give me the "Super Bowl play was the right call". It was risky - up the middle in traffic when it wasn't needed

If that was our 3rd / 4th down fine. That situation demanded a roll-out / read option or heck ANYTHING that didn't start with an EMPTY backfield

That isn't about Xs and Os it is about STUPID or smart decision making
BINGO!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Bevell is average, and that means some days he will overachieve and some days he will be underwhelming.

"great" is going too far.

Twice now our offense has gotten off to slow starts only to play well when they get back to the basis of their offense.

Twice now we have made big trades for guys that sort of threw us off our usual game. Our usage or lack thereof of Graham is underrated because he was playing just fine for us, but it still made several of our plays predictable, especially in the red zone.

Also, while it may be Cable's final decision, Bevell is the OC and should have probably done more to question just what we were hoping for going into the season with such a weak O-line. hopefully they will continue to play well and improve because if they revert back to being not good, we aren't going anywhere in January.

early on I was pretty pissed with Bevell because I could pretty much call what play we were gonna run 2 out of 3 times and if an idiot like myself can do that, imagine what a professional football team's defensive coordinator can do.

I'm liking what he has going on now though.

Stick with what works until they stop it. So far when we are playing the seahawks offense we recognize, not many teams can stop it.

mikeak

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2bpdi1pv said:
mikeak":2bpdi1pv said:
Let's see if things looks as good when we play elite defenses...

Am I missing a sarcasm emoji here?

I don't expect them to look as good against elite defenses. That's what makes elite defenses elite but then Brady, Rogers, Manning on and on also don't look the same when facing us.

Hopefully they will be more productive than the early part of the year. That really is the goal right? From there hopefully our defense really has turned a corner and we can rely on it when needed.

Ok let me clarify. Let's see if hey rank higher than bottom five in the Redzone against good teams.

That was our issue the first part of the season. Let's see if the mindset changed or our results are based on opponents.

I think it has changed some just curious how quick it changes back

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Bevell can't win with some of the posters on this site, though. If people can guess what he'll call, then he's labeled as predictable. If he runs something unpredictable, he's accused of getting cute and trying to call something nobody would expect, and we all know such calls never work.

Either way. he didn't have much of an O-line to work with for the first part of the season, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":9ncp4yx6 said:
Bevell can't win with some of the posters on this site, though. If people can guess what he'll call, then he's labeled as predictable. If he runs something unpredictable, he's accused of getting cute and trying to call something nobody would expect, and we all know such calls never work.

Either way. he didn't have much of an O-line to work with for the first part of the season, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I agree there are some who will never conceded the possibility he is even possibly good but there really is a lot of good points being made on both sides.

I don't want to be an apologist for him because there is plenty that you can look at and not just explain away but if your being fair there is a lot of outside factors like Wilson's growth and confidence, Lynch's injuries and how that played in, working within Pete's system and co-coordinating with Cable, a very poor start for the O-line on and on. It's possible Bevell really does suck but I'm not sure you could draw any solid conclusions to this point. It's also possible he is very good and has had to work with constraints.

McGruff

Reaction score
storm74":voay4oyr said:
If we breeze through the rest of our games and win a second superbowl in three years, especially if our offense is clicking, Bevell will have a head coaching job anyway.

He has called three straight good games so I am waiting for him to call a garbage game in the very near future. His situational awareness is horrible and I swear he can take the most talented players and make them look like UDFA's. However, he can make UDFA's look like probowlers. Our OC is maddening. If we need to run time off the clock, he is throwing. If we need a quick score, he is running the ball.

Gotta give the guy credit for the last three games though. Quick passes and shorter routes have opened the offense up. I just wish he would have figured that out earlier in the season.

Funny thing that Bevell waS hated in Minnesota for running an offense based on quick passes and shorter routes. He dint run the ball enough or take shots downfield.

Bevell, left to his own devices, is probably the purest WCO disciple there is.

But he comes here and for 3 years is told to do the opposite so he does, and the offense is successful. And when trends go back, Bevell WCO pedigree comes into full effect.

I don't love Bevell, but I don't hate him either. And I know the easiest thing in the world for fans is to pick apart individual play calls while ignoring the bigger picture. But it's illogical.

McGruff

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3r4lm8w8 said:

That first paragraph is spot on true, and the funny thing is when the accusations come from the exact same people. Play calling is hard. Second guessing it is easy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Very true!

My grumbles with him stem from his extreme slowness to change gears. No time to pass = no time to run longer developing routes, ineffective screens, etc.. There is little doubt he can be creative and less doubt that his OLine has been seriously problematic until recently. However, once they've improved and finally the realization that RW needs to get rid of the ball quicker hence the WC shorter style passes that are working he's looked not bad the last three games. The lack of predictability increases and the deeper zone slants and slower routes become possible with an improved running game.

Mostly though it's his OLine finally starting to play adequately that has made him look better, JMO. That said, he does deserve credit for calling 3 good games in a row.

Cartire

Reaction score
Baldwin, once again, in press conference, "Once again I have to say this, its about execution, not playcall. We were not executing at a high enough level the first half."

Once again confirming that its not the playcalls, it was the execution.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ifbxtq3b said:
I am happy as hell tht our offensive identity has been turned on it's ear. taking the burden off the defense is going to pay huge dividends in turnovers. If this stays the new identity of the offense, our receivers can lose some of the pedestrian reputation they have unfairly acquired. Our line, without the burden of having to protect slow developing play action, can lose some negative spotlight.

I really do think that given the skillset of our WR group, a spread attack can have us as one of the best offenses in the NFL long term. It minimizes the weakness of the line, prevents defenses from stacking the box to stop the run, and using that stack to disguise blitzes, maximizes the YAC potential our receivers possess, minimizes the pass blocking deficits of out tight end group, and used with combination routes working off each other, eases the burden on the QB immensely.

Funny how the execution is suddenly good now that the offense very, very different.

Point 1: Turnovers--Interesting point, that the relative (historical) lack of turnovers by our D, most of the season, has been heavily influenced by our struggling offense. (Very few picks by the D, for example) We are +7 in turnovers starting from the Arizona loss, though +4 of that is the Steelers game. We didn't really play from the lead in the Steelers game, but the +4 turnovers totally did win it for us, e.g., by preventing Pittsburgh scores on those possessions. In any case, the bigger point is that even with the more open offense, the Seahawks are still committing very few turnovers, so still within Pete's overall philosophy. So the "conservative" vs. "open" offense appears to be a false choice on the turnover front for our offense.

Point 2: Our WR group skillset--With the quick, exciting, cut-on-a-dime players we have like Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett, and the complementary WR3/4 skillset of Jermaine Kearse, we truly do have some elite talent there, along with deep threats. (Too bad PRich couldn't stay healthy) It's been exciting seeing them get turned loose. Today they even used Cooper Helfet quite a bit, who IMO is easily our best pass-catching tight end. If there's one guy that really, really benefits from the scheme change, it might be Helfet.

People dog Kearse as not getting enough separation, etc. and it's true he's not in Baldwin and Lockett's league in the quickness area. Kearse is "average" at a lot of different things, but is a plausible deep threat and is very mentally quick and football smart and is totally on the same wavelength as Russell Wilson. Kearse gets open within the scheme by using smarts to find the open spots and deception in using his body to sell the defenders one thing and then do at the last moment do something else that creates separation That's why Kearse has been involved in so many crucial plays for us... Kearse had a nice game today, 8 targets, 7 receptions.

Isn't it wonderful to see our offense possessing the ball, converting 3rd downs regularly, and putting up serious points? I'm loving it.

Latest posts