Hawks offense will be fine

RCATES

Reaction score
90% of the fan bases in the league are crying about their offensive line right now in preseason form. Hawks have some new players and needs time to get sorted and jell. You guys really expect us to have the best at everything?

We have the best scrambling QB in the league. That's why our salary cap isn't heavily invested in the o-line.

We play shut down defense, amazing special teams and the offense does enough to win. You know like the team in 2013 that won it all.

We were missing the special teams dominance last year. I believe the addition of Lockett brings that element back to our team.

SH and JR look incredible so far this year. 60 yard punts and field goals. Yikes

The defensive front seven with Mebane, Hill back and the additions on Clark. The depth we have at LB is unreal with Lewis, Marsh etc. Irvin being in a contract year is sure to ball out. This defense could very well be the best we've seen in the PC era.

Lastly going back to the offense. Wait until we have Chris Matthews, Paul Richardson back. This offense will be electric when they begin to fire on all cylinders.

We have never had an offense with this much speed, power and size. Chill out fellow 12's this is our best team yet. Let's go get this second Lombardi.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Completely agree with this. The line already looks serviceable at the moment and they are still only starting to warm up, the WR group is way better than last year with the addition of Lockett and the breakthrough of Matthews, while retaining our top 3 receivers in Baldwin, Kearse and Richardson. We have a pro bowl talent at TE now and we still have the same monster at RB.

The only concern is Wilson throwing inaccurately right now but that could be attributed to lots of reasons. He might not want to take risks, he might not give two shits about preseason, he might still be warming up etc. If the O still looks like this during our game at Saint Louis we can start to worry but out outlook is still very bright, especially with the best D and special teams we've ever had.

Polk738

Reaction score
its good to see some optimistic fans, theres an article on nfl.com where Pete shares his frustrations about the starting offense and it seems all the trolls just came out of the woodwork just to talk shit an how much Wilson sucks. I swear some people would take preseason as a sign from the football gods if it meant that the team they hate the most would crash and burn only to be disappointed midway thru the season when certain players hit their groove. Yeah Russ sucked last night but honestly who cares, nobody is seriously injured and the rookies had another amazing game along with ST.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The regular season will tall the tale we'll see soon enough if this Offense has regressed or progressed.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Polk738":18r1wv6m said:
............Yeah Russ sucked last night but honestly who cares,........
Well there a number of Russ haters on this board that seemingly enjoyed piling on.................. :stirthepot:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1u3zitmb said:
Polk738":1u3zitmb said:
Well there a number of Russ haters on this board that seemingly enjoyed piling on.................. :stirthepot:

It's very easy to pigeon-hole people who disagree with you as "haters" and then dismiss anything they have to say as "hate", but you don't have to be a "Russ hater" to be concerned about his poor play this pre-season.

His play is definitely below-par, and I have concerns about his pattern of slow starts that he established at the end of last year that may be reflecting on his pre-season as well.

For a guy who is meticulous in his preparation, he's looking quite bad indeed, over-throwing Graham and under-throwing on long balls.

I'm seeing a trend from him that I really don't like, and it's not because I am a "hater"; it's because I am a fan, and while I believe Wilson is much better than he has shown, I am concerned as to the reasons behind his recent performances and that it will extend into the regular season.

It might be different if we had a pansy division that would basically concede us 6 games, but don't have that luxury. To compete with teams in the NFC who have more favourable competition for home field advantage in the playoffs, we can't afford to drop games because our rather expensive QB isn't living up to his promise.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Just because I'm not happy with our offensive showing to date doesn't mean I don't think they will improve. I'm just not happy with the lack of progression. Keep in mind, SD's defense is no way considered elite and they'd be the worst defense in our division by a large margin.

So, will our offense gel ? I've likened it before to 2012, where we started out "meh" and ended up on a tear. We also have better skill position players than 2012.

Do I think it will help us against the Rams in week 1 ? No, no I don't. The silver lining there is that their offense hasn't really looked any better, and doesn't have the talent ours does.

As for Wilson's trends, I can see where you're coming from Kiwi. Russ threw some poorly timed INT's last year. I honestly think Wilson has had much more going on this offseason, with his contract and Ciara and such. There's no way he can be out messing around with Ciara, going to the White House, and all the other endorsement stuff he's doing, and have the time he's had in previous years to preseason grind and work on stuff. He might be a bit behind at this point but I think he'll improve.

Anthony!

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2e3maab1 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2e3maab1 said:
Polk738":2e3maab1 said:

It's very easy to pigeon-hole people who disagree with you as "haters" and then dismiss anything they have to say as "hate", but you don't have to be a "Russ hater" to be concerned about his poor play this pre-season.

His play is definitely below-par, and I have concerns about his pattern of slow starts that he established at the end of last year that may be reflecting on his pre-season as well.

For a guy who is meticulous in his preparation, he's looking quite bad indeed, over-throwing Graham and under-throwing on long balls.

I'm seeing a trend from him that I really don't like, and it's not because I am a "hater"; it's because I am a fan, and while I believe Wilson is much better than he has shown, I am concerned as to the reasons behind his recent performances and that it will extend into the regular season.

It might be different if we had a pansy division that would basically concede us 6 games, but don't have that luxury. To compete with teams in the NFC who have more favourable competition for home field advantage in the playoffs, we can't afford to drop games because our rather expensive QB isn't living up to his promise.

hmm so you are concerned about the preseason. Hmm the preseason, let me say that again the Preseason. Now as to his patterns of slow starts, ahh last I checked it is not how you start but how you finish, and since we always have to go through the BS 25 scripted plays first, even if they do not work I am not to worried about it. Let me help you in the last 10 games including the playoffs he had a QB rating under 90 3 times. So I would relax, given all the issue son the oline, trying to get comfortable with Graham, Lockett, etc and also given they have not even had their real #1 offense out there but for 3 plays. I am not to worried.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RCATES":26a8zkxe said:
90% of the fan bases in the league are crying about their offensive line right now in preseason form. Hawks have some new players and needs time to get sorted and jell. You guys really expect us to have the best at everything?

We have the best scrambling QB in the league. That's why our salary cap isn't heavily invested in the o-line.

We play shut down defense, amazing special teams and the offense does enough to win. You know like the team in 2013 that won it all.

We were missing the special teams dominance last year. I believe the addition of Lockette brings that element back to our team.

SH and JR look incredible so far this year. 60 yard punts and field goals. Yikes

The defensive front seven with Mebane, Hill back and the additions on Clark. The depth we have at LB is unreal with Lewis, Marsh etc. Irvin being in a contract year is sure to ball out. This defense could very well be the best we've seen in the PC era.

Lastly going back to the offense. Wait until we have Chris Matthews, Paul Richardson back. This offense will be electric when they begin to fire on all cylinders.

We have never had an offense with this much speed, power and size. Chill out fellow 12's this is our best team yet. Let's go get this second Lombardi.
I like the cut of your jib. You're absolutely right in thinking this is our best team yet. No worries here because when it gets real Wilson and Graham will be money. Remember though it's No E.;)

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RCATES":zfgiwrvx said:
We were missing the special teams dominance last year. I believe the addition of Lockette brings that element back to our team.

Ricardo has been on the team for some time now and you are just now getting excited. Ok.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2e4zej31 said:
Polk738":2e4zej31 said:

I find it fascinating that RW is so revered by some, that the mere fact of pointing out his terrible passes yesterday gets one labeled a hater. Really? Maybe fans here are legitimately concerned about his play and dont hate him at all.

Man, he has built himself quite the buffer zone for some.

Very uniquely Seattle.

nanomoz

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1osryvdg said:
It's very easy to pigeon-hole people who disagree with you as "haters" and then dismiss anything they have to say as "hate", {. . .} I'm seeing a trend from him that I really don't like, and it's not because I am a "hater"; it's because I am a fan, and while I believe Wilson is much better than he has shown, I am concerned as to the reasons behind his recent performances and that it will extend into the regular season.

I really admire how you kept it together to express this. I honestly can't talk to people that use the word "hater" as a way to dismiss anyone that wants to have a conversation with real, critical appraisal. They breed like lab mice, but I dont get as attached to them.

I know I'm being self-righteous, but I struggle to enjoy interacting with people that view message boards as a place to do two things: extol their own opinion and the virtues of that opinion, and dismiss any conflicting opinion without actually critically thinking about it. Three things. Doh.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawkpower":bzfwets6 said:
hawksfansinceday1":bzfwets6 said:
Polk738":bzfwets6 said:

I find it fascinating that RW is so revered by some, that the mere fact of pointing out his terrible passes yesterday gets one labeled a hater. Really? Maybe fans here are legitimately concerned about his play and dont hate him at all.

Very uniquely Seattle.
Preseason. Come back with your "concerns" if he's bad in St. Louis when it's not practice and the actual starting offense is out there together with no holds barred.

This is how it works when you have a first tier team with all the starting spots locked up. It's all about not showing a thing and not getting injuries.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1l33fbn8 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1l33fbn8 said:
Polk738":1l33fbn8 said:

Very uniquely Seattle.

I do not know about hater or not, there are some that out out hate the guy and would give up our SB win if it meant getting rid of him. AS to his few off throws, I am not worried about it, I have seen every Qb in the league to include Rodgers miss some throws every game. Right now with all the moving parts, and everyone trying new things I am not worries about it. Guys with career Qb ratings of 95+, who played more than 3 years do not just suck all of a sudden.

peppersjap

Reaction score
RCATES":p27v0swi said:

Thank you for creating a thread that doesn't say "the sky is falling". I feel more confident in this offense than I have in any of our past ones during the Wilson years. We actually have play makers and I think the line is coming together fine. They do an incredible job with the OL considering the money they have to put into it. I really doubt anyone wants to cut Sherman or ET so we can bring in an established pro bowl lineman. Schneider has done amazing things with the salary cap.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2rkdkx1l said:
KiwiHawk":2rkdkx1l said:
hawksfansinceday1":2rkdkx1l said:
Polk738":2rkdkx1l said:

hmm so you are concerned about the preseason. Hmm the preseason, let me say that again the Preseason. Now as to his patterns of slow starts, ahh last I checked it is not how you start but how you finish, and since we always have to go through the BS 25 scripted plays first, even if they do not work I am not to worried about it. Let me help you in the last 10 games including the playoffs he had a QB rating under 90 3 times. So I would relax, given all the issue son the oline, trying to get comfortable with Graham, Lockett, etc and also given they have not even had their real #1 offense out there but for 3 plays. I am not to worried.
It's how you finish? That's your defense for Wilson's poor play? Do you even remember how we "finished" last season? It was on a Wilson interception. Like the 4 he threw in the previous game that took an absolute meltdown by the opposition and Herculean effort by our defense for us to even get to the Super Bowl.

Our QB who is legendary for his meticulous preparation and attention to detail has been poor in his last 5 consecutive outings. It's not just pre-season.

It's got nothing to do with scripted plays. We're talking about execution. Accuracy. Decision making. None of it is there.

Wilson's life is in turmoil. The divorce, the contract, the celebrity, the endorsements, his snake oil water crap - it coincides with his poor play. While coincidence does not prove causation, it's looking and acting enough like a duck that some of us are concerned. Not writing him off, but concerned.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":2iyoqb6m said:
KiwiHawk":2iyoqb6m said:
It's very easy to pigeon-hole people who disagree with you as "haters" and then dismiss anything they have to say as "hate", {. . .} I'm seeing a trend from him that I really don't like, and it's not because I am a "hater"; it's because I am a fan, and while I believe Wilson is much better than he has shown, I am concerned as to the reasons behind his recent performances and that it will extend into the regular season.

I really admire how you kept it together to express this. I honestly can't talk to people that use the word "hater" as a way to dismiss anyone that wants to have a conversation with real, critical appraisal. They breed like lab mice, but I dont get as attached to them.

I know I'm being self-righteous, but I struggle to enjoy interacting with people that view message boards as a place to do two things: extol their own opinion and the virtues of that opinion, and dismiss any conflicting opinion without actually critically thinking about it. Three things. Doh.
Thank you for posting this - I appreciate the support. Sometimes I post stuff and wonder if anyone else out there gets it. I reckon a lot do but don't get involved because they would just end up being stonewalled by name calling and strawmen.

Sometimes the signal-to-noise ratio around here gets a bit dodgy. I'm not a mod so I can't control the noise. All I can do is try to add more signal.

justafan

Reaction score
Good post from the OP.
This offense will never be the smooth efficient offense like the old niners or a Brady led team.
They will have the bonehead penalties,too many 3 and outs,Wilson will have his bad throws on occasion and will not be the QB to stand in the pocket every play like it was drawn up.
They will rely on taking care of the ball,Lynch setting the tone and Wilson getting outside the pocket making life hell for defenses.
They will end up being in the top half of the league on O,probaly top ten but it wont be pretty.

It wouldnt surprise if this team struggles early in the year especially the first 2 games but they will hit their stride and hopefully playing their best ball when it counts the most.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I am not a Russ hater at all. Objectively speaking he has looked very poor in this preseason. Doesn't matter in preseason but it does not give anyone any idea of how the offense will look like to start the season. The line needs time and Russ is off target on majority of throws he did get out. I hope the offense will be fine, but not seeing it yet.
I would have liked to see throws that were catchable. I hope things click this week.