Disconcerting to say the least

Hawks46

Reaction score
I didn't watch much of the backups, but:

I'll start by saying I'm glad we didn't move to the AFC West, because the Chargers seem to be our daddy lately, especially down there.

Our offense looks disjointed and terrible. Wilson was off badly tonight. When you overthrow a dude that is 6'7" and can jump, not once but twice, you're off. Also took a dumb penalty when he should've just got rid of the ball. Those are the plays that we have to live with as most times Wilson makes something happen.

Looks like Richard didn't emphasize tackling this offseason. Our starters look rusty and could rarely bring down Gordon on the first attempt.

Rivers just shredded us in the middle. Our LBers didn't look ready to cover an NFL TE tonight.

It's preseason, and I'm already tired of watching dumb penalties. Honestly, it doesn't look like our coaching staff has our guys prepared to play at real speed.

I'm disappointed with the secondary. At this rate, we won't be the top rated defense. Allen owned Williams, using the same move and the same set up. Stevie Johnson literally wore out Blackmon.

Pass rush looks good, as well as the Nickle blitz. Run defense was surprisingly good, when Woodhead wasn't breaking tackles, all 180 lbs of him.

If I need something positive to look forward to watching this season, it's Tyler Lockett. This kid is going to be something special, and not just as a returner.

Run blocking looked good when Lynch was in there. Our OL just isn't physical and got collectively blown up on a 3rd and 1.

If we keep playing like this, I'm guessing we win 10 games. You think our offense is bad now, wait till we play divisional foes. Even SF has a much more talented defense than SD.

RussB

Reaction score
Relax dude its just the preseason most players probably arent breaking to much of a sweat yet. i dont know why youre unhappy with the shermans tackling he looked solid shedding blocks and making tackles and the defense overall looked good. its the offense that looked horrible most of the time. Wilson looked like hes not even trying after his new contract and innacurate

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Hopefully by the when regular season starts RW will play like HE is the best player in the world!

Been looking at himself in the mirror too much me thinks

mikeak

Reaction score
Preseason means simplified defense in the secondary. So a QB like Rivers moving the ball is expected. Holding them to as few points as was done is a great sign IMHO

Offense. - I do hope we just don't want to show some great plays, because it was very much nothing special in Playcalling creativity.

However the O-line is coming together. Very excited about that

12thbrah

Reaction score
Lynch appears to be our only hope of getting the offense on track eventually.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikeak":3cwie33a said:
Preseason means simplified defense in the secondary. So a QB like Rivers moving the ball is expected. Holding them to as few points as was done is a great sign IMHO

Offense. - I do hope we just don't want to show some great plays, because it was very much nothing special in Playcalling creativity.

However the O-line is coming together. Very excited about that

It was coming together with Okung in there.. Bailey could have been swapped out with a Dick's Hamburger and no one would have been able to notice the difference.

Zero concern about our defense and Russ was just off today. But that offensive line is downright awful right now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's only preseason but the Seahawk offense has scored only 1 TD total in 3 games. I don't believe the starting offense has scored a TD in any of the games thus far. That is very concerning.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":f1ljb5af said:
Bailey could have been swapped out with a Dick's Hamburger and no one would have been able to notice the difference.

come one now, that's a bit of a stretch. Afterall, the defender is going to stop to eat the Dick's Hamburger.

irocdave

Reaction score
The hawks O is going to struggle at the beginning of the year, that much is clear. And that's OK because the D looks stellar and Lockett looks like he will make a huge impact on special teams. I just hope the O line gels by week 6 and the O gets it's collective %^&* together or this could be a wasted year.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Everytime this team gets a new offensive line change.........things don't look good until the 2nd half of the game. Looks like it's going to be much of the same just like the last few years.

Also this is preseason and our plays are so vanilla, once we get the first regular season game with the Big 3 playing together in all 4 Quarters can be get a better judgement of what will be.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
While concerning, I just can't get too worried. It get's old saying it, but it's preseason, and that means a lot. Our O last year was unstoppable in preseason. That carried over for about 1 game when the real stuff started. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady both played pretty poorly this past week. I don't care. Remember when the Redskins averaged like 50+ per game with Spurrier? How did that turn out.

There are genuinely concerning things (Russ' occasional inaccuracy, o-line), but it's preseason. One more time. It's preseason.

RW92

Reaction score
I know it's pre-season but there are a few glaring and obvious adjustments that need to be made. One, Tyler Lockett needs to start. Kearse and Baldwin are having a difficult time getting open and finding separation. Rus has to hold the ball too long or run for his life because he has no one to pass the ball to. The O-line will continue to be a work in progress and hopefully it will evolve as the season wears on. Two, Cary Williams is struggling. I'm not sure how Pete can fix this in two weeks, but teams will pick on him all year. And lastly without Kam, don't make any reservations for SanFrancisco in early February. Our defense is good, and I loved the changed that was made towards the blitz, but you can see at times when Kam's presence is missed. That's it till the season opener against the Rams. I don't count 4th pre-season games. Nothing more boring in the world than watching a 4th pre-season game.

kearly

Reaction score
I think a lot of went wrong in this game boiled down to three things:

1.) Seattle got outcoached badly in the 1st half. SD ran all the plays to beat our cover 3, and attacked Wilson's mobility. If this had been a real game, Seattle probably would have adjusted in the second half, but it's fair to say that SD had the better game plan going in.

2.) Wilson just flat out had a tough game. (Also, RJ Archer is simply a terrible QB. Unbearable to watch).

3.) No Earl/Kam on D. Kam's absence was felt on every one of those crossers.

These issues are concerning I guess, but it's nothing that can't be corrected by week one (if we get lucky and Kam comes to his senses).

I need to watch the game again, but the OL seemed to play pretty well in the first half. There were some nice holes in the run game, and protection was okay. Wilson's grounding penalty of doom was actually the Chargers coaches being smart and blitzing the bootleg. Lynch's first carry went for a nice gain, and his second carry would have gone a long ways had he trusted Coleman's (albeit terrible looking) lead block. I got the feeling that, with Tukuafu on the field and Lynch getting 25 carries, he would have hit 100 yards with the blocking that was there.

I was wrong. KJ Wright is worth the money. Our front seven looks insanely good. Best front seven in team history right now. Even our backup front seven looked pretty good in this game.

Kris Richard loves to blitz 6+ and do it often. It's long been well documented by NFL statisticians that it's a bad idea to blitz more than five. One of the things I loved about Quinn was that he knew the value of a good 4-5 man pass rush and rarely blitzed more than five. That said, Richard's aggressive blitzing mostly worked out in this game. A credit to our DBs, they forced Rivers to hold the ball on a lot of those overload blitzes. He didn't punish them nearly as much as I would have expected him to. The Chargers HC said after the game that the intense nature of the blitzing caught him off guard.

Graham looks really good. If not for two missed throws Graham would have been well on his way to a 100 yard game type pace. I doubt they double in him the endzone all that often when Lynch is playing. Lockett and Clark are studs yet again.

Our backup RBs are starting to feel like caricatures at this point. Michael struggled despite his 5.3 YPC. Other than a 29 yard gain handed to him on a platter by an uncalled Anthony McCoy hold, he averaged just 1.2 yards per carry and had a lot of botched runs. Turbin was perfectly average as usual, Rawls had one nice play and a lot of bad ones, again. Smith looked really interesting, again, but barely touched the ball, again.

What a hilarious ending to the game.

Anthony!

Reaction score
What I noticed is the offense struggled until the 25 scripted plays were over, yes Bevel even scripts his first 25 play calling the preseason. Once they were done we started doing much better, and once we went in a hurry and Wilson was pretty much deciding what was happening we did real well. All that said I have to think they are holding back because if they are not the route trees and routes being run are like high school level. I do agree the oline is an issue as is WR getting open. Hopefully that will change when it really counts.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Anthony!":xo9abj6w said:
What I noticed is the offense struggled until the 25 scripted plays were over, yes Bevel even scripts his first 25 play calling the preseason. Once they were done we started doing much better, and once we went in a hurry and Wilson was pretty much deciding what was happening we did real well. All that said I have to think they are holding back because if they are not the route trees and routes being run are like high school level. I do agree the oline is an issue as is WR getting open. Hopefully that will change when it really counts.

Our offense did real well?

When? I must have dozed through that part of the game.....

BTW, the WR's can get open all day long, but if the pass coming their way is 6 feet over their 6 foot 7 frame, its going to be tough to catch.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I tend to agree. It is disconcerting, but not quite hitting the panic button. I'm not worried about the D in the slightest. We have way more Dline depth than last year and only lost one key starter. We should be better than last year.

Here's the cause for concern:
1) Oline- I'll have to watch the tape but it seemed a bit of a regression from last week vs. KC. Though this is to be expected, especially with Okung out, a new C, New LG, and new RT. I'm going to reserve judgement on the Oline potential until the first few weeks of the season. Remember Sweezy in his first game versus Darnell Dockett? He was absolutely obliterated. It's going to take some time but Cable has proven himself worthy of our trust.

2) Running game. This is probably a function of the Oline, but I really do not feel comfortable with our RB situation once Lynch retires (which I'm heard could very seriously be this next season). Michael is explosive but has a two cent mind. He has no vision or patience, can't catch or block very well either. Turbin has everything Michael doesn't but without any explosiveness.

3)Russell. I will preface by saying I'm not overly concerned, but I was really hoping to see a noticeable progression rather than a noticeable regression. No doubt he has a firm grasp of the offense but he's missed to many bad targets this off season. He missed Baldwin last week on a big 3rd down, and about 3 feet over Grahams head, and 3 feet behind his target on the crossing pattern. Top QBs don't consistently miss by that much. Like I said, I'm not hitting the panic button, but really wish Russ would have stepped forward rather than backward this offseason. For the better part of two games he's yet to manufacture anything without Lynch. He got paid like a QB that will lead a top 10 O regardless of other weapons. I'm really not convinced we will be able to score points consistently without Lynch in the future and that really, really sucks.

kf3339

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2ekaalxt said:
Hasselbeck":2ekaalxt said:
Bailey could have been swapped out with a Dick's Hamburger and no one would have been able to notice the difference.

come one now, that's a bit of a stretch. Afterall, the defender is going to stop to eat the Dick's Hamburger.

:lol:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkpower":287iwwiw said:
Anthony!":287iwwiw said:

BTW, the WR's can get open all day long, but if the pass coming their way is 6 feet over their 6 foot 7 frame, its going to be tough to catch.

I said started doing well, and as to the rest a wasted post, and I am sure 1 bad pass tell the whole story.

Anthony!

Reaction score
lukerguy":1zml68xk said:
I tend to agree. It is disconcerting, but not quite hitting the panic button. I'm not worried about the D in the slightest. We have way more Dline depth than last year and only lost one key starter. We should be better than last year.

Here's the cause for concern:
1) Oline- I'll have to watch the tape but it seemed a bit of a regression from last week vs. KC. Though this is to be expected, especially with Okung out, a new C, New LG, and new RT. I'm going to reserve judgement on the Oline potential until the first few weeks of the season. Remember Sweezy in his first game versus Darnell Dockett? He was absolutely obliterated. It's going to take some time but Cable has proven himself worthy of our trust.

2) Running game. This is probably a function of the Oline, but I really do not feel comfortable with our RB situation once Lynch retires (which I'm heard could very seriously be this next season). Michael is explosive but has a two cent mind. He has no vision or patience, can't catch or block very well either. Turbin has everything Michael doesn't but without any explosiveness.

3)Russell. I will preface by saying I'm not overly concerned, but I was really hoping to see a noticeable progression rather than a noticeable regression. No doubt he has a firm grasp of the offense but he's missed to many bad targets this off season. He missed Baldwin last week on a big 3rd down, and about 3 feet over Grahams head, and 3 feet behind his target on the crossing pattern. Top QBs don't consistently miss by that much. Like I said, I'm not hitting the panic button, but really wish Russ would have stepped forward rather than backward this offseason. For the better part of two games he's yet to manufacture anything without Lynch. He got paid like a QB that will lead a top 10 O regardless of other weapons. I'm really not convinced we will be able to score points consistently without Lynch in the future and that really, really sucks.

Actually most of the QBSA paid like Wilson is has more weapons around them and a better oline. That said I do agree with some of this passes. He has been off on a few, that said I will not worry till the season starts as I believe they are holding back. Trying to get the oline figured out, before they open it up some.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Anthony!":1dstbzm6 said:
Hawkpower":1dstbzm6 said:
Anthony!":1dstbzm6 said:

I said started doing well, and as to the rest a wasted post, and I am sure 1 bad pass tell the whole story.

Just to clarify, the bolded above.....

The horrific throw in Jimmy's direction was not his only bad pass.

You are correct that the oline and WR play has been sporadic. But Wilson sure isnt helping them out there either.

He has been off.

Latest posts