Why exactly did the hawks get rid of BMax?

RussB

Reaction score
Hey new here bros. Maxwell was shutdown, why would the hawks get rid of him? Heard he wanted too much money and they didn't want to give it to him or what?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Ok let's get this straight, the Hawks didn't "get rid" of Maxwell. They tried very hard to re-sign him up until the moment he agreed to terms with Philly.

He left because of the amount of money Philly was able to offer opposed to what Seattle could realistically give given the cap.

Sac

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1nqv7fem said:
Ok let's get this straight, the Hawks didn't "get rid" of Maxwell. They tried very hard to re-sign him up until the moment he agreed to terms with Philly.

He left because of the amount of money Philly was able to offer opposed to what Seattle could realistically give given the cap.

^^
This

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2xp4p7wg said:

Now hes on a worse team just with more money in his pocket, dudes should be willing to take a pay cut to stay on better teams. He can enjoy being on the eagles wack secondary

hawknation2015

Reaction score
So far, Cary Williams hasn't been too much of a drop off. Tharold Simon is now back in practice to battle for that spot. Will Blackmon looked very good when he was healthy. Marcus Burley has looked much improved. Tye Smith played an amazing first game last week.

Then there are two great athletes and developmental prospects in Douglas McNeil and Mohammed Seisay. Yup, some hard decisions are coming at this very deep position group.

Sac

Reaction score
2Cool4School":33otkex4 said:
Hawkfan77":33otkex4 said:

Now hes on a worse team just with more money in his pocket, dudes should be willing to take a pay cut to stay on better teams. He can enjoy being on the eagles wack secondary

My heart wants to agree with you, but my head just can't. Players careers are too short to not maximize what they can get. It's not like B-Max wasn't already on a Super Bowl winner, on one of the greatest defenses ever assembled.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
2Cool4School":o28es0f1 said:
Hawkfan77":o28es0f1 said:

2 things most players want, money and a super bowl ring. He has the ring so good for him going for the money.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3co0aw5v said:
So far, Cary Williams hasn't been too much of a drop off. Tharold Simon is now back in practice to battle for that spot. Will Blackmon looked very good when he was healthy. Marcus Burley has looked much improved. Tye Smith played an amazing first game last week.

Then there are two great athletes and developmental prospects in Douglas McNeil and Mohammed Seisay. Yup, some hard decisions are coming at this very deep position group.
What i wanna see is how good those corners do compared to maxwell. Seahawks have good depth in the secondary who knows those guys might be just as good. Hope they arent worse and get burned

hawknation2015

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3qre6g31 said:
hawknation2015":3qre6g31 said:

What i wanna see is how good those corners do compared to maxwell. Seahawks have good depth in the secondary who knows those guys might be just as good. Hope they arent worse and get burned

Are you a Seahawks fan?

:2:

endzorn

Reaction score
I'm happy for the guy. Seattle couldn't afford to pay him even close to his market value so he capitalized and set himself up for life. We can't keep them all so when guys leave I want them to get paid as much as possible. Comp picks help ease the loss.

Basis4day

Reaction score
endzorn":1y96myx9 said:
I'm happy for the guy. Seattle couldn't afford to pay him even close to his market value so he capitalized and set himself up for life. We can't keep them all so when guys leave I want them to get paid as much as possible. Comp picks help ease the loss.

I think most fans feel this way. Maxwell wasn't making anything and earned a contract the Hawks couldn't hope to match. Good for him.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
B-Max:

Pros:

Quality Play in Deep Coverage (Having Earl Thomas Helps)
Quality Play as a Run Defender
Attacks The Ball Not The Player
Can Play Inside or Out

Cons:
Mediocre In The Short to Intermediate Passing Coverage
Bad Habit of Not Getting His Head Around
Gets Overly Physical At Times (And Gets Away with a lot of Pre-Catch Contact)
Oft-Injured Player

B-Max is a good CB but he's not great CB let alone a consistently good one just yet. A lot of his hype continues to stem from playing lights out during the last 5-8 games of the 2013 season including Play-Offs. However, the pass-rush was also so deep that year, and became absolutely unstoppable in about the same time frame Maxwell became a starter. The defense in whole was playing at an historical level.

Maxwell had some flashes of greatness in 2014 but in whole I thought he was merely average. Again, new Seahawks CB, Cary Williams had the better PFF grade of the two (if ever so slightly). However, it was Maxwell that benefited more from a more extraordinary supporting cast as well as a ball control time of possession offense that tended to keep the Seahawks D off the field. Williams played about 400 more snaps than Maxwell.

Maxwell is young and still growing into his potential, so until he reaches 30, I think he'll continue to get better every year and continue to maximize his game more. But he's far from a shutdown CB many think he is. He's a 7-8 mil CB based on play and potential. At 10.5 million per year, Maxwell is highly overrated for the cost and the Seahawks got a similar player with similar skill in Cary Williams for what is essentially a 1yr, 7m contract. However, Williams will only cost $4.66m this year against the cap, if cut next year Seahawks can choose to split the rest of his signing bonus dead cap across 2 years for 1,166,667 cap hits each.

In comparison, Maxwell will cost 8.7m against the cap this year to Williams' 4.66m. Maxwell will also make another 4.8m in signing bonus costing almost twice as much than Williams in total 2015 money... 13.5m vs 7m. Maxwell can't be cut for savings until the third year of his contract, Eagles took a gamble on Maxwell considering he has yet to play a full season and they are paying him to be the best player on a mediocre defense where as he was just another cog in the wheel here in Seattle.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2e7ytxj1 said:
B-Max:

Pros:

Quality Play in Deep Coverage (Having Earl Thomas Helps)
Quality Play as a Run Defender
Attacks The Ball Not The Player
Can Play Inside or Out

Cons:
Mediocre In The Short to Intermediate Passing Coverage
Bad Habit of Not Getting His Head Around
Gets Overly Physical At Times (And Gets Away with a lot of Pre-Catch Contact)
Oft-Injured Player

B-Max is a good CB but he's not great CB let alone a consistently good one just yet. A lot of his hype continues to stem from playing lights out during the last 5-8 games of the 2013 season including Play-Offs. However, the pass-rush was also so deep that year, and became absolutely unstoppable in about the same time frame Maxwell became a starter. The defense in whole was playing at an historical level.

Maxwell had some flashes of greatness in 2014 but in whole I thought he was merely average. Again, new Seahawks CB, Cary Williams had the better PFF grade of the two (if ever so slightly). However, it was Maxwell that benefited more from a more extraordinary supporting cast as well as a ball control time of possession offense that tended to keep the Seahawks D off the field. Williams played about 400 more snaps than Maxwell.

Maxwell is young and still growing into his potential, so until he reaches 30, I think he'll continue to get better every year and continue to maximize his game more. But he's far from a shutdown CB many think he is. He's a 7-8 mil CB based on play and potential. At 10.5 million per year, Maxwell is highly overrated and the Seahawks got a similar player with similar skill for what is essentially a 1yr, 7m contract. However, he'll only cost $4.66m this year against the cap, if cut next year Seahawks can choose to split his the rest of his signing bonus dead cap across 2 years for 1,166,667 cap hits each.

In comparison, Maxwell will cost 8.7m against the cap this year to Williams' 4.66m. Maxwell will also make another 4.8m in signing bonus costing almost twice as much than Williams in total 2015 money... 13.5m vs 7m. Maxwell can't be cut for savings until the third year of his contract, Eagles took a gamble Maxwell considering he has yet to play a full season and they are paying him to be the best player on a mediocre defense where as he was just another cog in the wheel here in Seattle.

Agree with most of this. Only one thing is different....he was a cog in our wheel....now the other team may know our wheel and how it turns. Thanks for the write up....most appreciated. :)

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2lucqp4q said:
2Cool4School":2lucqp4q said:
hawknation2015":2lucqp4q said:

Are you a Seahawks fan?

Yeah im a hawks fan, why else would i post here #LOB

hawknation2015

Reaction score
2Cool4School":2t4rb6ht said:
hawknation2015":2t4rb6ht said:
2Cool4School":2t4rb6ht said:
hawknation2015":2t4rb6ht said:

Are you a Seahawks fan?

Yeah im a hawks fan, why else would i post here #LOB

Welcome! We get a lot of posters from other teams, some even pretending to be Seahawks fans, if you can believe that.

Latest posts