Why exactly did the hawks get rid of BMax?

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
[/quote]At first I was suspicious, but now with that avatar, I'd say you're either Pehawk or Prelag. Well done, either way.[/quote]
what is a Pehawk lol?

Edited: for masked language not allowed on main page.
Everybody gets one, please don't let it happen again.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":vibcqx05 said:
B-Max:

Pros:

Quality Play in Deep Coverage (Having Earl Thomas Helps)
Quality Play as a Run Defender
Attacks The Ball Not The Player
Can Play Inside or Out

Cons:
Mediocre In The Short to Intermediate Passing Coverage
Bad Habit of Not Getting His Head Around
Gets Overly Physical At Times (And Gets Away with a lot of Pre-Catch Contact)
Oft-Injured Player

B-Max is a good CB but he's not great CB let alone a consistently good one just yet. A lot of his hype continues to stem from playing lights out during the last 5-8 games of the 2013 season including Play-Offs. However, the pass-rush was also so deep that year, and became absolutely unstoppable in about the same time frame Maxwell became a starter. The defense in whole was playing at an historical level.

Maxwell had some flashes of greatness in 2014 but in whole I thought he was merely average. Again, new Seahawks CB, Cary Williams had the better PFF grade of the two (if ever so slightly). However, it was Maxwell that benefited more from a more extraordinary supporting cast as well as a ball control time of possession offense that tended to keep the Seahawks D off the field. Williams played about 400 more snaps than Maxwell.

Maxwell is young and still growing into his potential, so until he reaches 30, I think he'll continue to get better every year and continue to maximize his game more. But he's far from a shutdown CB many think he is. He's a 7-8 mil CB based on play and potential. At 10.5 million per year, Maxwell is highly overrated for the cost and the Seahawks got a similar player with similar skill in Cary Williams for what is essentially a 1yr, 7m contract. However, Williams will only cost $4.66m this year against the cap, if cut next year Seahawks can choose to split the rest of his signing bonus dead cap across 2 years for 1,166,667 cap hits each.

In comparison, Maxwell will cost 8.7m against the cap this year to Williams' 4.66m. Maxwell will also make another 4.8m in signing bonus costing almost twice as much than Williams in total 2015 money... 13.5m vs 7m. Maxwell can't be cut for savings until the third year of his contract, Eagles took a gamble on Maxwell considering he has yet to play a full season and they are paying him to be the best player on a mediocre defense where as he was just another cog in the wheel here in Seattle.
Your point highlighted in red drove me nuts about B-max. If he turned his head around a second or 2 quicker he could double his interceptions. Sherman is the Jedi-master at this, that's one of the main reasons why he is the best corner in the league.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ AND that is why I still bieve strongly in Simon. His college tape shows a great ability to turn his head while drying close to the receiver.

Some practice time, a bit of calmness and I think he will be a interception machine....

Scottemojo

Reaction score
At first I was suspicious, but now with that avatar, I'd say you're either Pehawk or Prelag. Well done, either way.[/quote]
what is a Pehawk lol?[/quote]
Well done, pe, well done.

just kidding, I know you are not him.

But still think you are.

Though clearly you are not.

Pretty sure you might be. Though confident you are not.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I love Maxwell, but if we're calling him "shutdown" then that really waters down the meaning of that word. Obviously, you'd rather have him than not, but he got paid a huge premium because the demand for CBs far exceeded the availability of good free agents. Signing him at that price wouldn't have been a "Money Ball" transaction, even with an escalating cap.

mikeak

Reaction score
2Cool4School":1m1uigy0 said:
Hawkfan77":1m1uigy0 said:
Ok let's get this straight, the Hawks didn't "get rid" of Maxwell. They tried very hard to re-sign him up until the moment he agreed to terms with Philly.

He left because of the amount of money Philly was able to offer opposed to what Seattle could realistically give given the cap.
Now hes on a worse team just with more money in his pocket, dudes should be willing to take a pay cut to stay on better teams. He can enjoy being on the eagles wack secondary

For guys that have made $30-$50 million I kind of agree with you - that winning should matter more than the extra money

For players that made relatively lots of amounts and never won - I agree with you. Fire to win it all should be more important

Maxwell never made enough to truly separate him from 99% of the people for the rest of his life AND he had a Super Bowl ring. The contract with the Eagles provided the career earnings that goes nicely with the super bowl ring he already had...

I would have done exactly what he did

Also don't forget - the Eagles is a good team (or at least were last year)

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
mikeak":2bo6ym8d said:
2Cool4School":2bo6ym8d said:
Hawkfan77":2bo6ym8d said:
Ok let's get this straight, the Hawks didn't "get rid" of Maxwell. They tried very hard to re-sign him up until the moment he agreed to terms with Philly.

He left because of the amount of money Philly was able to offer opposed to what Seattle could realistically give given the cap.
Now hes on a worse team just with more money in his pocket, dudes should be willing to take a pay cut to stay on better teams. He can enjoy being on the eagles wack secondary

For guys that have made $30-$50 million I kind of agree with you - that winning should matter more than the extra money

For players that made relatively lots of amounts and never won - I agree with you. Fire to win it all should be more important

Maxwell never made enough to truly separate him from 99% of the people for the rest of his life AND he had a Super Bowl ring. The contract with the Eagles provided the career earnings that goes nicely with the super bowl ring he already had...

Didnt mean to knock the eagles. i guess it is kind of hard to turn down that big of a contract even that means leaving the LOB.players should care more about winning than money, just look at the crap Kam is pulling right now, no time for that with a season about to start. Kam acting greedy

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":z8i1o53i said:
2 things most players want, money and a super bowl ring. He has the ring so good for him going for the money.

Money does not buy satisfaction, contentment nor happiness. Maxwell may find out the hard way. :stirthepot:

chris98251

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":249ia40o said:
Bigbadhawk":249ia40o said:
2 things most players want, money and a super bowl ring. He has the ring so good for him going for the money.

Money does not buy satisfaction, contentment nor happiness. Maxwell may find out the hard way. :stirthepot:

True but he can buy a whole lot of Kleenex now.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I thought Maxwell was over rated.
He was our best 2nd CB, but it is a big drop off from #25

The drop off from Maxwell to anyone else won't be as steep.

peppersjap

Reaction score
These are the kind of things that are driving me crazy with our fans lately! How could any true Seahawk fan (that has been for longer than a year) not know why Maxwell is not back?

These are actual conversations I was either involved in this weekend at the bar:

Patron #1: I heard Golden Tate broke up Russell Wilson's marriage when he slept with his wife
Patron #2: Yeah, but Russell Wilson beat the crap out of him after it happened.....that is what I was told!

This was right after watching highlights of Tyler Locketts kick return:

Patron #1: He did a really good job for us last year
Me: He is a rookie
Patron #1: yeah, I know he is a rookie but he played really good for us last year
Me: (As I'm pulling out my hair) He is not Ricardo Lockette, he has never played for us before.........he is a ROOKIE! Check please!

Maulbert

Reaction score
Maxwell was a solid CB, but he looked better than he actually was because of Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor. I liked him better than Browner, but no way is he a $60 million dollar corner. I don't blame him for taking the money, he'll never see an offer like that again. Next man up!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3fyzjjt5 said:
Hawkfan77":3fyzjjt5 said:

Getting a big payday on the second contract is the most common player mentality. Some never get another chance. Hawks were already paying Sherm as our #1 CB. Philly was willing to pay Maxwell #1 CB money because he's clearly the best they have. No bigz...can't keep 'em all.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1ofp2pdh said:
I thought Maxwell was over rated.
He was our best 2nd CB, but it is a big drop off from #25

The drop off from Maxwell to anyone else won't be as steep.
He's pretty much a Culliver clone.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
peppersjap":1lbdniaj said:
These are the kind of things that are driving me crazy with our fans lately! How could any true Seahawk fan (that has been for longer than a year) not know why Maxwell is not back?

These are actual conversations I was either involved in this weekend at the bar:

Patron #1: I heard Golden Tate broke up Russell Wilson's marriage when he slept with his wife
Patron #2: Yeah, but Russell Wilson beat the crap out of him after it happened.....that is what I was told!

This was right after watching highlights of Tyler Locketts kick return:

Patron #1: He did a really good job for us last year
Me: He is a rookie
Patron #1: yeah, I know he is a rookie but he played really good for us last year
Me: (As I'm pulling out my hair) He is not Ricardo Lockette, he has never played for us before.........he is a ROOKIE! Check please!

But did you pay for the comedy relief??? That is some funny stuff there...I have to admit.

Chapow

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1a0gk2ij said:
Bigbadhawk":1a0gk2ij said:

It sure makes it a lot easier to be satisfied, content, and/or happy when you know you're financially secure for the rest of your life though.

I wish Maxwell all the best and appreciate what he did for us while he was here. I'm also pretty damn confident in our quality and depth at the CB position and I don't really think we're going to miss him much if at all.

Laloosh

Reaction score
2Cool4School":j6m571y0 said:
mikeak":j6m571y0 said:
2Cool4School":j6m571y0 said:
Hawkfan77":j6m571y0 said:

Didnt mean to knock the eagles. i guess it is kind of hard to turn down that big of a contract even that means leaving the LOB.players should care more about winning than money, just look at the crap Kam is pulling right now, no time for that with a season about to start. Kam acting greedy
Why does anybody pretend to know exactly what Kam's reasoning is? I don't like that he's holding out but calling him greedy is absurd when we don't even know what he's asking for.

jblaze

Reaction score
You can't keep everyone and he got a ton of cash. Call it the "LOB" tax.

In my opinion, he wasn't all that great and was helped a lot by the other three all pro's in that backfield.

He's above average but not a 10+mil a year player. He jumped when CB leverage was high and there wasn't a lot of other options so good for him but there's no way I'd want our team paying that. If we paid that, we wouldn't be able to afford Wagner.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
It probably sucks being the weakest link on a great defense. Maxwell is a solid player but you could argue that he was the weakest link of LOB. He is probably going to end up covering all the #1 WR's that Philly is going to face in that division. Could you guys imagine Max covering Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham jr, & DeSean Jackson? Tough task!

Latest posts