Pick a Weakness

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
In todays salary cap era of football it is just not possible to have a complete great team. In the Pete era we have had typically a weak receiving core (not from lack of trying with Harvin) and bad O-line play. We use the money for other areas. To improve our O-line play we would have to pay for better play. Where would you all suggest we cut to improve there. What high dollar player could we let go and still feel good about that position? Yes having a bad o-line sucks but is it better than having a bad d-line?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pete and John's team-building (areas of strengths/weaknesses) scheme works... that's already been proven.

I subscribe to the "it's just preseason... don't panic" approach.

Less stress that way.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
O-line, OC, Safety depth, CB depth IMHO. The last 2 things may not be as bad as I think they are, but I'm pretty sure about the first 2. 8)

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The offensive line situation kind of reminds me of the early 2011 season when it took some time for everyone to jell. I think since we've been there before, we'll be able to get everyone on the same page sooner rather than later. I'm optimistic.

This blaming the OC is really getting old. My God, it's the first game of the preseason, when you don't unveil anything but basic formations and plays and people are babbling about it like it's Game 10 of the regular season. Hypersensitivity documented.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1d9p3fte said:
This blaming the OC is really getting old. My God, it's the first game of the preseason, when you don't unveil anything but basic formations and plays and people are babbling about it like it's Game 10 of the regular season. Hypersensitivity documented.
It helps to get some perspective on this if you go to other team boards or subreddits. Every fan base complains about play calls and Hawks fans are merely average at it. And if it helps people to vent their frustrations I'd much rather they do it here then every 15 seconds while sitting behind me on game days.

Cartire

Reaction score
Our WR fumbles have been costly.

And of course, i mean the fumbles of JS and PC.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2a9pha3d said:
In todays salary cap era of football it is just not possible to have a complete great team. In the Pete era we have had typically a weak receiving core (not from lack of trying with Harvin) and bad O-line play. We use the money for other areas. To improve our O-line play we would have to pay for better play. Where would you all suggest we cut to improve there. What high dollar player could we let go and still feel good about that position? Yes having a bad o-line sucks but is it better than having a bad d-line?

Hmm lets see, Dallas has a great oline, top WR top QB, good Rb good defense. Denver has a great oline, great QB, good RB, great Wr, great defense. Hm they can do it why cant we?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":29vcfglc said:
Siouxhawk":29vcfglc said:
It helps to get some perspective on this if you go to other team boards or subreddits. Every fan base complains about play calls and Hawks fans are merely average at it. And if it helps people to vent their frustrations I'd much rather they do it here then every 15 seconds while sitting behind me on game days.
Haha, yeah I see your point. I realize blaming the OC, and now the ripping has crept over to Cable's offensive line tutelage, is an easy out and fundamental target for those fans limited in their breadth of football knowledge, but it's just so very wrong when it comes in the preseason when the playbooks are vanilla and lineups are an assembly line of lower-tiered players trying to find their way onto our roster. I guess I just thought we were better than that with two recent Super Bowl appearances under our belts. I guess I overestimated some of our fans.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Anthony!":24ueovui said:
Year of The Hawk":24ueovui said:

Hmm lets see, Dallas has a great oline, top WR top QB, good Rb good defense. Denver has a great oline, great QB, good RB, great Wr, great defense. Hm they can do it why cant we?

We can't because we have to pay Wilson top 2 APY money. Even though our O line was average at best in pass protection the last 3 years and Wilson was paid peanuts. It's his salary and scrambling that's the problem. :sarcasm_off:

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1dj4ukre said:
Anthony!":1dj4ukre said:
Year of The Hawk":1dj4ukre said:

We can't because we have to pay Wilson top 2 APY money. Even though our O line was average at best in pass protection the last 3 years and Wilson was paid peanuts. It's his salary and scrambling that's the problem. :sarcasm_off:

Dallas and Denver should not even be compared to our defense and running game. In fact who even says those aspects of there team are even good at all. So NO they don't have it all. If our O-line is the only deficiency then I think we are lucky.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1wdzeap8 said:
Russ Willstrong":1wdzeap8 said:
Anthony!":1wdzeap8 said:
Year of The Hawk":1wdzeap8 said:

Dallas and Denver should not even be compared to our defense and running game. In fact who even says those aspects of there team are even good at all. So NO they don't have it all. If our O-line is the only deficiency then I think we are lucky.

Dallas had the #1 rb last year, enough said.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
[/quote]

Dallas had the #1 rb last year, enough said.[/quote]

Dallas may have had the #1 RB last year, but one could certainly argue that Marshawn Lynch was 1a. Lynch did his damage behind a much worse line than Murray ran behind in Dallas. There probably isn't a RB in the league who wouldn't look good behind that line.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1mdbfgca said:
AgentDib":1mdbfgca said:
Siouxhawk":1mdbfgca said:
Haha, yeah I see your point. I realize blaming the OC, and now the ripping has crept over to Cable's offensive line tutelage, is an easy out and fundamental target for those fans limited in their breadth of football knowledge, but it's just so very wrong when it comes in the preseason when the playbooks are vanilla and lineups are an assembly line of lower-tiered players trying to find their way onto our roster. I guess I just thought we were better than that with two recent Super Bowl appearances under our belts. I guess I overestimated some of our fans.

Your posts whining about those folks whining about the OC and Cable sure show "breadth of football knowledge".

Hawks46

Reaction score
Anthony!":3a3lnpqx said:
Year of The Hawk":3a3lnpqx said:

Denver is a good, well rounded team and Elway is running that program well.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Dallas had a good defense. They're bottom third of the league, and their DVOA was terrible. Literally all of their deficiencies were masked by Dallas' offensive line and controlling time of possession.

You also have to realize, saying "this team has a good defense" still is apples and oranges to our defense.

Our defense is historically good, maybe the very best of all time. You have to pay for that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":rq7tui47 said:
AgentDib":rq7tui47 said:
Siouxhawk":rq7tui47 said:
Yeah everything is perfect and they never ever make the wrong play call or have bad game plans. :roll:
You are going to have to realize that some people may have a different opinion than yours, and that is OK.
That's why we call this a forum, it's a forum of ideas and opinions even if they may be different than our opinions.
If you don't agree with someone's opinion either have a civil discussion or shrug it off and move on.

And for the 100th time..........We are all Seahawks fans here! :th2thumbs:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2cqn4vye said:
Siouxhawk":2cqn4vye said:
AgentDib":2cqn4vye said:
Siouxhawk":2cqn4vye said:
Yeah everything is perfect and they never ever make the wrong play call or have bad game plans. :roll:
You are going to have to realize that some people may have a different opinion than yours, and that is OK.
That's why we call this a forum, it's a forum of ideas and opinions even if they may be different than our opinions.
If you don't agree with someone's opinion either have a civil discussion or shrug it off and move on.

And for the 100th time..........We are all Seahawks fans here! :th2thumbs:

I realize all of that. But here we are after 1 preseason game and you're already chastising an important member of the coaching team who you are counting on to deliver a Super Bowl. But as AgentDib said, you're not unique in your bellyaching about the offensive coordinator of an NFL team ... it happens all the time. If it helps you cope and enjoy the game more, then sure, have at it.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't believe in picking a weakness, but in terms of picking an area to save bucks: linebacker, running back, and tight end. Oddly enough we have guys at all three of those positions that are worth paying big bucks to.

For a team like Seattle and a RB like Lynch, it makes sense to pay a RB. But I kinda wish Seattle was willing to be more fungible at LB. And though I liked the Graham trade, I would trade Graham for a WR like Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson in a heartbeat.

Then again Seattle's track record at drafting TE hasn't been stellar, and our WRs are solid. Breaking the bank on a TE was probably done in light of the organization's own weaknesses.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1fzsugui said:
Siouxhawk":1fzsugui said:
AgentDib":1fzsugui said:
Siouxhawk":1fzsugui said:

Your posts whining about those folks whining about the OC and Cable sure show "breadth of football knowledge".
All I'm saying is let's pump the brakes a bit after just 1 preseason game. Once the real bullets start flying in September, critical analysis would be better served.

Anthony!

Reaction score

Dallas had the #1 rb last year, enough said.[/quote]

Dallas may have had the #1 RB last year, but one could certainly argue that Marshawn Lynch was 1a. Lynch did his damage behind a much worse line than Murray ran behind in Dallas. There probably isn't a RB in the league who wouldn't look good behind that line.[/quote]

great you just made my point thanks other teams have and can do it, there for so can we.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawks46":2vf6e9xi said:
Anthony!":2vf6e9xi said:
Year of The Hawk":2vf6e9xi said:

Denver is a good, well rounded team and Elway is running that program well.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Dallas had a good defense. They're bottom third of the league, and their DVOA was terrible. Literally all of their deficiencies were masked by Dallas' offensive line and controlling time of possession.

You also have to realize, saying "this team has a good defense" still is apples and oranges to our defense.

Our defense is historically good, maybe the very best of all time. You have to pay for that.

dallas was 19th in yards and 15th in scoring far form bottom 3r and pretty good.