Turbin's last year

lobohawk

Reaction score
So what's the expectation for Turbin after this year? As he came in with Wilson, this is his last contract year. He's set to have a cap hit of $774,114 for 2015. And there's no way he'll get an extension now is there?

Asking, as CM's future appears in doubt, but he's locked up through 2016 (cap hit about 1m a year for each year). We don't really have any other options playing behind Lynch.

Plan on CM? Look for another rookie in the next draft? Re-sign Turbin?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
lobohawk":165g04f4 said:
So what is the expectation for Turbin after this year? As he came in with Wilson, this is his last contract year. He's set to have a cap hit of $774,114 for 2015. And there's no way he'll get an extension now is there?

Asking, as CM's future appears in doubt, but he's locked up through 2016 (cap hit about 1m a year for each year). We don't really have any other options playing behind Lynch.

I say they get a rookie RB in the 2nd round to compete with Michael, Turbin I have a feeling is gone after this year, unless he takes a friendly deal to stay with this team, but you know he's probably churning at the bit to be a starter, or at least get some more touches.

Michael haven't shown the consistency to stay healthy, anyone know if he was participating in training camp?

AgentDib

Reaction score
One of the more interesting battles in training camp will be at RB. CMike will get a huge amount of work in training camp (along with Rawls) because Turbin is coming off hip surgery and they never work Marshawn very hard. There could be a completely different perception about the RB position a month from now and completely different responses to this question.

For now, you can look at the CMike/Turbin issue in two ways. The predominant take is disappointment that CMike hasn't been able to pass Turbin on the depth chart and make the active roster more often. CMike has a lot of theoretical advantages (speed, elusiveness in space, much more highly evaluated entering the league) that causes fans to focus on potential weaknesses in his game to explain why he hasn't contributed yet.

The flip side of this is a more favorable view towards Turbin. He has held down his job over a faster and more highly touted prospect. The front office values protection and ball security where Turbin has done well, and last season saw a marked improvement in Turbin's ability to break the first tackle. Many would complain about an extension because they compare him unfavorably to Lynch, but I wouldn't be surprised at all. They obviously like him a lot and we're not talking about huge dollars.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
lobohawk":39noizlm said:
So what's the expectation for Turbin after this year? As he came in with Wilson, this is his last contract year. He's set to have a cap hit of $774,114 for 2015. And there's no way he'll get an extension now is there?

I think Rawls might have something to say about that no one else behind Lynch comment.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There won't be anything to talk about at RB until Lynch isn't playing, whether that's next year or whatever. Until then....

Vetamur

Reaction score
Turbin is getting a normal workload in training camp. Well, he has the two days I attended. I'm leaving it now.
CMike had a bad practice Rawls looked really good. Rod Smith wasn't bad

brimsalabim

Reaction score
One of the camp reports mentioned Michael having trouble holding on to the ball.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think the biggest issue as fans we have with Turbin is that we are so spoiled watching him follow a once in a generation type back. Anyone next to Lynch looks mediocre except maybe one or two other backs in the league.

I mean, he's a pretty good back. He's reliable. He holds on to the ball. He is an OK blocker. My perception is that he is gradually becoming a stronger runner, harder to bring down than in his first two years (but again, next to Lynch, everyone is easy tackle).

I know he missed an integral catch in the SF game, but he's had a few big plays. He's had a LOT of big runs called back on questionable holding. I know he's not the cats meow, but I really feel like he's an underrated asset within our .net community. I get that we can't pay a premium for him, but I really would like to see him have an increased role this year to give the beast some rest.

nanomoz

Reaction score
rjdriver":11mtkvg0 said:
I think the biggest issue as fans we have with Turbin is that we are so spoiled watching him follow a once in a generation type back. Anyone next to Lynch looks mediocre except maybe one or two other backs in the league.

I mean, he's a pretty good back. He's reliable. He holds on to the ball. He is an OK blocker. My perception is that he is gradually becoming a stronger runner, harder to bring down than in his first two years (but again, next to Lynch, everyone is easy tackle).

I know he missed an integral catch in the SF game, but he's had a few big plays. He's had a LOT of big runs called back on questionable holding. I know he's not the cats meow, but I really feel like he's an underrated asset within our .net community. I get that we can't pay a premium for him, but I really would like to see him have an increased role this year to give the beast some rest.

Orsonwellesclapping

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
rjdriver":6ws8fvgw said:

I like Turbin he doesn't get as many chances as some on other teams. The misconceptions is that we are a high volume run team, but most of the runs are spread out pretty thin, between Lynch and Wilson. Other teams don't have a mobile QB so they rely on their starting RB and backups to produce. He was hitting the holes pretty quick last year, and was showing much more improvement when shedding at least one would be tackler.

Pete have been saying that Michael needs to be consistent at being healthy and being well productive, but looking like he needs to start focusing or he might be that surprised cut/trade.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The only RB who should be a safe bet to make the team this year is Marshawn Lynch. Turbin (coming off hip surgery, limited upside), Michael (poor blocker and running fundamentals, fumbler), Coleman (injury issues, below average blocker), Tukuafu (injury issues, limited playmaking potential), etc. all have to battle hard to make this team. I'll be rooting for all of them to improve, as well as the rookies.

kearly

Reaction score
I think they will keep Turbin if he's league minimum, which he probably will be.

Latest posts