Bruce Irvin #51

morgulon1

Reaction score
I thought I'd start my own thread. I don't seem to post on here as much since Les passed away but usually come on
once a day to see what's happening. So here goes....

Bruce Irvin is IMHO a douche. The reason I say this is that he seems to all of a sudden be butt hurt that the team isn't
picking up his option and saying he wants to play for the Falcons. What is painfully obvious to me is that he hasn't played up to the standards of where Seattle picked him. Plain and simple. He's a decent player and at times better than that.It looks like the team is planning for life after Irvin as well. So go ahead Bruce, have a great year. It'll prove that you
could of been playing better all along and are just playing for a contract.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I'd like to see him stay a hawk, but mostly because good pass rushers are hard to come by. His comments have become tired and I find myself trying to not like him. He doesn't make it easy.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bruce is a good OLB. Top third of the league at his position. He's made himself, with coaching, into a pretty good jack of all trades. This isn't really about Bruce's talent.

Its about positional value. The position just doesn't warrant a big contract for us. 4-3 OLB's are pretty easy to find, and their impact on the field is probably the most minimal of all the defensive positions.

I don't worry a bit about KPL moving up the DC. Not a bit.

That being said, Bruce is not being a jerk. He's being dumb and immature. He's not thiinking about what he is saying, just like always. Bruce is always doing this stuff (DUI "prank" anyone) and I think that is why the team is ready to move on. He's more or less talked and tweeted himself out of Seattle.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Irvin was supposedly one of the players that was very upset about the Harvin trade, too. IMO his recent behavior is very disingenuous of him as Pete went way out on a limb for him and drafted him about 30-60 slots higher than almost every other team in the league had him at, and took a helluva lot of flack for doing so. I also was less than pleased with the fight he started at the end of the SB. Completely classless.

I don't see him as being in the top 1/3 at his position. He's a solid starter, and that's about as far as I'll go. But he never lived up to his post draft billing as a 10 sack per season LEO, the heir apparent to Chris Clemons. He's not worth picking up his option, especially with the irons we have in the fire with Russell and Wagner's contracts to rework.

The previous poster is right. Irvin is talking his way out of Seattle and may have worn out his welcome with our brain trust. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded before the season starts. He's definitely expendable.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Players need to understand that there is a salary cap and everyone can't get paid. It sucks but that is the reality.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
The unfortunate reality is you cannot sign everyone. And, this isn't the first time a player - Golden Tate - left the Hawks with not so nice comments.

He has seen teammates - Avril, and LOB's - sign huge contracts. And just like the LOBs, Irvin will see 2 LBs - KJ Wright (already signed) and Bobby Wagner sign big contracts.

He has also seen the Seahawks elect not to pick up an option - James Carpenter - and we saw what happened.

Irvin is not in the Hawks future. His production doesn't equal the huge dollars the option year would give him. Not sure if the contract offer will meet his expectations either - i.e Tate.

The only concern I have is attitude. He knows he's in a contract year. Unlike Carpenter, he's a rotational player. He may become frustrated when he's pulled from the field - especially on passing downs - since he knows sacks = dollars.

Last year we saw what happened at the beginning of the year. Some players signed big contracts, endorsements, etc. Add Percy Harvin and it was a complete sh@t show. The team rallied, due to a players only meeting lead by a small group -- including Michael Bennett - who has issues with his contract.

IMHO, the jury is still out on Irvin's attitude. Option not picked up. Rumors about a draft day trade. All followed by tweets. Now this.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded - like Harvin - during the season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The concern about Irvin is only his immaturity, his temper as displayed on the field, and most of his foolish tweets. As posted above he's done well changing positions and is a good solid OLB with a limited pass rush repertoire. What he's worth is not what he thinks he's worth. He still thinks he's DE when his position is Now SOLB. In a money ball sense the decision not to pick up his option makes absolute sense. BI is now po'd about it, and doing his best to talk his way off the team. Too bad b/c he is a good player but really not the player the team thought they'd be getting when he was drafted. If he wants out the team should let him go they have depth now with the additions of KPL and now Clark and Gwachum.

I suspect this may motivate BI to have a big year, but if he's a distraction he should be moved. I can see him not being part of the plan going forward and a candidate for a 2017comp pick. This is too bad b/c I like his physicality on the field and sort of like the guy who has overcome a lot in life.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I can understand the frustration.... but he should've known that once he got into this business, if your production isn't there or the money isn't right, these sort of things can happen. It isn't personal and it doesn't mean that he won't have better success elsewhere. But seriously... the dude needs some tact. There have been several occasions that he has not so gracefully put his foot in his mouth and honestly, it's annoying as hell. Doesn't mean I don't like the guy or the player but damn! Sometimes you should just know when to shut up!

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":zs7eyzhy said:
Bruce is a good OLB. Top third of the league at his position. He's made himself, with coaching, into a pretty good jack of all trades. This isn't really about Bruce's talent.

Its about positional value. The position just doesn't warrant a big contract for us. 4-3 OLB's are pretty easy to find, and their impact on the field is probably the most minimal of all the defensive positions.

I don't worry a bit about KPL moving up the DC. Not a bit.

That being said, Bruce is not being a jerk. He's being dumb and immature. He's not thiinking about what he is saying, just like always. Bruce is always doing this stuff (DUI "prank" anyone) and I think that is why the team is ready to move on. He's more or less talked and tweeted himself out of Seattle.

This, exactly. It's not about Bruce, but Bruce's position. You don't see any teams running a 4-3 that pay their OLB's 8 million a year. It's also why 4-3 teams pay their MLB's more.

RiverDog

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1durxebb said:
The concern about Irvin is only his immaturity, his temper as displayed on the field, and most of his foolish tweets. As posted above he's done well changing positions and is a good solid OLB with a limited pass rush repertoire. What he's worth is not what he thinks he's worth. He still thinks he's DE when his position is Now SOLB. In a money ball sense the decision not to pick up his option makes absolute sense. BI is now po'd about it, and doing his best to talk his way off the team. Too bad b/c he is a good player but really not the player the team thought they'd be getting when he was drafted. If he wants out the team should let him go they have depth now with the additions of KPL and now Clark and Gwachum.

I suspect this may motivate BI to have a big year, but if he's a distraction he should be moved. I can see him not being part of the plan going forward and a candidate for a 2017comp pick. This is too bad b/c I like his physicality on the field and sort of like the guy who has overcome a lot in life.

Excellent post. I agree 100%.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
My Day Dream this morning.

"Newsflash"

"Bruce Irvin signs short term contract extension and then is traded to Buffalo for a fourth, fifth and sixth round draft picks in next years draft."

Hope you like the snow DUDE.

Better be careful BRUCY, when you play with fire you get burned most of the time.

If he wants to become a cancer to the team, he better be ready to be treated like one.

GO HAWKS!!!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If any of us were in Bruce Irvin's shoes, we'd probably be doing the same thing. I think the drafting of Frank Clark plus the Seahawks not picking the option. The writing is on the wall for him. Plus the Seahawks have Kevin Pierre-Loius in the wings too. Bruce's ego is a bit bruised and he's an emotional player. He'll be fine once the season starts. And then we'll see what happens.

themunn

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1brn1pau said:
Unlike Carpenter, he's a rotational player.

He played nearly every single snap on defense the last 6 games of the season. He might have started as a rotational player, but now he's an every down player on the league's BEST defense as opposed to one of the worst pass-blacking o-lines.

two dog

Reaction score
I can't seem to work up the animus that most of those here obviously feel.

The one that Bruce is hurting most is Bruce. He was drafted in the first round
as a pass rusher, a position that is paid higher than most if you are good at it.
If he had been a top notch pass rusher the Seahawks would have picked up
his option.

Nobody in the league is going to pay that kind of money for a Sam 'backer
unless they bring something special. He might even be better than most
outside linebackers but not deserving of pay near that of Avril or Bennett
in my opinion.

I think he will have interest and will get a nice contract for less than he seems
to think he is worth but more than most of us would expect.

Life will go on and I think the time may come when Bruce will wish he was still a Seahawk.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Seahawks pass rusher Bruce Irvin recently said that he is going to be playing for the Atlanta Falcons in 2016. But Pete Carroll, his head coach, says Irvin never said that he'd be playing for the Falcons next year.

There seems to be a bit of a disagreement now regarding the comments Irvin made about wanting to play for the Falcons, with Carroll claiming that Irvin's comments -- he was quoted to have said, "I'm going to be in Atlanta next season" -- were misconstrued.

"I'm really glad you asked me that, because he didn't say that," Carroll told the Associated Press. "We've been talking all along. He has been working out in Atlanta for these three weeks, and he said (that) in response to the question 'Do you want to come back home?' He said everybody likes to come back home, and it's a dream to come back home. It wasn't in reference to leaving us and coming back (to the Falcons). He was really adamant about it, and I asked him to leave it and not go at it anymore."

It was on Wednesday when Irvin may have or may not have said he was going to the Falcons next season after his contract expires with the Seahawks. After an Atlanta Hawks playoff game, Irvin told blacksportsonline.com, "Atlanta is where I want to be. Believe that."

The move is a logical one considering the head coach of the Falcons is former Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and considering Atlanta is Irvin's hometown. Though, it probably wasn't logical to announce the move a year in advance. Then again, according to Carroll, Irvin never said he's leaving for Atlanta.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... sconstrued