Bruce Irvin #51

Tical21

Reaction score
He's young and had his feelings hurt and acted irrationally. I'm sure the next day he felt embarrassed by what he said and vowed to bite his lip from this point forward and work his ass off on the field this year and do whatever it takes to make that big money next year. I would bet his recent absence on twitter is his own doing. I would bet he is a highly motivated guy right now. I'd be hurt too, and when I was young I might have said something stupid because of it. At the end of the day, I think we probably get better once he is gone.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Funny stuff. If he has a really good year in 2015 he is an even bigger douche.

SMDH.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Schneider said he wants to do a long term contract with Bruce, and not picking up the option is motivation to get it done.

I hope Bruce stays because he will only get better, but he needs to remember that he's been less than average at times and he did get suspended. He's also made some boneheaded mistakes and I'm waiting for a sufficient amount of time to pass to where I believe he can be trusted. His statement the other day doesn't help build trust in any way.

Play yer ass off Bruce, then come back on a long term contract.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ivotuk":xmkd3iqt said:
Schneider said he wants to do a long term contract with Bruce, and not picking up the option is motivation to get it done.

I hope Bruce stays because he will only get better, but he needs to remember that he's been less than average at times and he did get suspended. He's also made some boneheaded mistakes and I'm waiting for a sufficient amount of time to pass to where I believe he can be trusted. His statement the other day doesn't help build trust in any way.

Play yer ass off Bruce, then come back on a long term contract.

I agree with this. If he does not show it on the field, then his time in our organization and for that matter in any real organization is probably slimmer unless there is a lot of financial drop. At this time, it is more of a prove it deal for next season. Earn it or Lose it.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Did Irvin really say he wanted to be a Falcon next year? I thought his comment was just that he would be (or wants to be) in Atlanta next year, which could very well mean he could be attending the NBA playoffs again like he did this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
fenderbender123":5b2ayvth said:
Did Irvin really say he wanted to be a Falcon next year? I thought his comment was just that he would be (or wants to be) in Atlanta next year, which could very well mean he could be attending the NBA playoffs again like he did this year.

Nope, he said he wanted to play in Atlanta.

"I'm going to be in Atlanta next season. I'm ready." When asked if Irvin would consider Seattle if they offered him a big contract extension, Irvin replied "Atlanta is where I want to be. Believe that."

45Hawker

Reaction score
I hope Bruce Irvin balls-out this year and has the best season of his career. I'm glad he's on the team. Bruce hasn't taken a traditional path on the Seahawks, but he's continued to improve, made a difference, and I respect his contributions.

I think he's over-valuing his worth in the league, but that doesn't bother me. I haven't heard him say anything negative about the organization directly. Anyways, he'll be motivated to have a great season this year. And if after that, if he finds that the market for his skills are $4.5m a year (likely, IMO), then I think we might have a chance to re-sign him - which I'd hope we could do. This is a smart, calculated risk for the Hawks.

At he same time, let's remember we can't keep everyone. We have to develop less-expensive, impact players. SAM might be a good position to have a "value" player, saving cap for more critical and unique play-makers.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3rwfej2x said:
fenderbender123":3rwfej2x said:

Nope, he said he wanted to play in Atlanta.

"I'm going to be in Atlanta next season. I'm ready." When asked if Irvin would consider Seattle if they offered him a big contract extension, Irvin replied "Atlanta is where I want to be. Believe that."

Do you have any sources for that? These are the only quotes I can find:

I'm going to be in Atlanta next season. I'm ready.

Atlanta is where I want to be. Believe that.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/5/14/860 ... alcons-nfl

Neither of these quotes say he wants to play for the Falcons. Just that next season (What season? Basketball? Football? Spring? Summer?), he is going to be in Atlanta (To see family? To work out? To watch basketball?). Very vague. He could just be trolling us knowing that fans are going to jump to conclusions over his comments.

Or, as Pete Carroll thinks, he was just paying homage and being respectful to his hometown while having a good time there.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... sconstrued

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think you guys are being a little obtuse if you don't think Irvin meant to play football.

He's from Atlanta, loves all things Atlanta, so it's not far fetched to think after his option wasn't picked up that he said what he said.

Does it mean anything? No, but it's certainly clear what the context was.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29yi8zks said:
I think you guys are being a little obtuse if you don't think Irvin meant to play football.

He's from Atlanta, loves all things Atlanta, so it's not far fetched to think after his option wasn't picked up that he said what he said.

Does it mean anything? No, but it's certainly clear what the context was.

You might be right, but I don't think it's completely clear for the reasons I stated.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I remember during the draft many of us were screaming for Chandler Jones. One of the few times the groupthink here was smarter than PCJS

McGruff

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1nfwgiyx said:
I remember during the draft many of us were screaming for Chandler Jones. One of the few times the groupthink here was smarter than PCJS

Not sure about that. Jones has had one good year, but is less versatile by far than Irvin. Only those (like Irvin himself) who value sacks as the premier defensive stat would think the choice is clearcut.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2zf5ab7l said:
If any of us were in Bruce Irvin's shoes, we'd probably be doing the same thing. I think the drafting of Frank Clark plus the Seahawks not picking the option. The writing is on the wall for him. Plus the Seahawks have Kevin Pierre-Loius in the wings too. Bruce's ego is a bit bruised and he's an emotional player. He'll be fine once the season starts. And then we'll see what happens.

Not me. I wouldn't come out and say that I wanted to play for a specific team and give them an indication that I'd be willing to accept a home town discount. I can just imagine Irvin's agent's reaction when he read about Bruce's comments.