Are we really here?

Rob12

Reaction score
Over the years, I had watched a countless number of games with my dad. On a late fall day in 1989, I watched Dave Krieg sling a pass to Steve Largent and my dad leaped off of the couch. It was Largent's 100th career touchdown reception, in an otherwise meaningless game. I was 7, and from that moment, I was hooked.

That Atlanta game was rough. When it was 27-7, my dad simply looked at me and winked. Now, there's one thing that I should explain about my dad - he loves Russell Wilson. Being from Nebraska, he was the biggest Cornhuskers football fan that I have ever known. This man lived and died by what those boys did on Saturdays in Lincoln in the fall. The last Nebraska game that I physically watched with him started well. Nebraska went up on early on the Wisconsin Badgers, and by the end of it, the Cornhuskers had been blown out. I remember looking over at my dad, and rather than being dejected, he simply said how the quarterback for Wisconsin - No. 16 he called him - was the best damn player on the field and he didn't mind losing to him. That struck me as odd, but he told me that he didn't care how big the kid was, whoever drafted him in the draft was getting a winner.

I got off work late on the night after the draft, and I had a voice mail waiting from my dad. All it said was this:

"Love you, buddy. Well, the Hawks drafted their starting quarterback. Bright days ahead for our Hawks. Have a good night."

Before Gruden said Russ would make it, my dad did.

When Matt Bryant's kick went through the uprights to dagger us, my dad simply got up from the couch, walked over to me, and swatted my shoulder.

"No. 3 will have them back."

That was the last game that I ever watched with him, as he unexpectedly passed away on March 25 at the age of 64.

Less than a year later, I was still heavily grieving the loss of my dad. I watched Russ' interview before the game when he talked about his dad, and how he always believed in him, and the tears began rolling. My oldest son looked at me, smiling. He said, "Daddy, the Seahawks are going to win, and Papa will be happy."

And they did. Did they ever.

And here we are again. I'll watch this game with my wife and three boys, ages 4, 2, and 1, and they'll be decked out in their Hawks gear. They're not capable of grasping what these moments really mean to me. But I'll be with them, and they'll be a part of it.

I was going to write more, but nothing more needs to be said. We're back, when so many said it couldn't be done.

And we're going to repeat.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Please, guys... No condolences needed. My personal belief is that my dad has the best seat in the house these days.

Just wanted to say... THIS IS ALL AMAZING. How far have we come? It's unbelievable.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Rob12":27l1wuw2 said:
Please, guys... No condolences needed. My personal belief is that my dad has the best seat in the house these days.

Just wanted to say... THIS IS ALL AMAZING. How far have we come? It's unbelievable.

Nevertheless, man, I feel your loss. Lost my Dad just before Christmas 2012. Growing up in Kansas, he was always more of a Chiefs fan, but he would've loved Russell Wilson. Sadly, during the 2012 season, he was in too much of a delirium to follow Russell's rookie season. Still, I'm sure he would have loved SB48. Since my wife is from Seattle and his other daughter-in-law is from Denver, he wouldn't have known who to root for.

Great post, and Russell is more than just a great leader and QB. The way he and the team hung in there against Green Bay is an inspiration to all of us any time we feel like giving up on something.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Rob12":2kyfvjl6 said:
Over the years, I had watched a countless number of games with my dad. On a late fall day in 1989, I watched Dave Krieg sling a pass to Steve Largent and my dad leaped off of the couch. It was Largent's 100th career touchdown reception, in an otherwise meaningless game. I was 7, and from that moment, I was hooked.

That Atlanta game was rough. When it was 27-7, my dad simply looked at me and winked. Now, there's one thing that I should explain about my dad - he loves Russell Wilson. Being from Nebraska, he was the biggest Cornhuskers football fan that I have ever known. This man lived and died by what those boys did on Saturdays in Lincoln in the fall. The last Nebraska game that I physically watched with him started well. Nebraska went up on early on the Wisconsin Badgers, and by the end of it, the Cornhuskers had been blown out. I remember looking over at my dad, and rather than being dejected, he simply said how the quarterback for Wisconsin - No. 16 he called him - was the best damn player on the field and he didn't mind losing to him. That struck me as odd, but he told me that he didn't care how big the kid was, whoever drafted him in the draft was getting a winner.

I got off work late on the night after the draft, and I had a voice mail waiting from my dad. All it said was this:

"Love you, buddy. Well, the Hawks drafted their starting quarterback. Bright days ahead for our Hawks. Have a good night."

When Matt Bryant's kick went through the uprights to dagger us, my dad simply got up from the couch, walked over to me, and swatted my shoulder.

That was the last game that I ever watched with him, as he unexpectedly passed away on March 25 at the age of 64.

Less than a year later, I was still heavily grieving the loss of my dad. I watched Russ' interview before the game when he talked about his dad, and how he always believed in him, and the tears began rolling. My oldest son looked at me, smiling. He said, "Daddy, the Seahawks are going to win, and Papa will be happy."

And here we are again. I'll watch this game with my wife and three boys, ages 4, 2, and 1, and they'll be decked out in their Hawks gear. They're not capable of grasping what these moments really mean to me. But I'll be with them, and they'll be a part of it.

I was going to write more, but nothing more needs to be said. We're back, when so many said it couldn't be done.

Fantastic post.

Go Hawks!

Reaneypark

Reaction score
My old man would have loved these Hawks, too.

Good story and I feel you.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It's very early in the morning, but I doubt I will read anything better the rest of today.

Thank you for sharing. I am fortunate to still have my Dad around, and he has always been my hero. Almost lost him a few years ago and left my deployment on a ship (Navy) off the coast of Somalia at the time to fly 24 hours through 5 countries to get back to him in Portland, OR.

Attending sporting events with my Dad are among my fondest memories. I took him to the first ever regular season game in then Seahawks Stadium in 2002. Sports has always been the center piece of our bond.

Thanks again.

:thirishdrinkers:

Rex

Reaction score
Rob12":23zx699p said:

Yes you're really here so enjoy it and I hope your Seahawks do repeat as champions. :th2thumbs:

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I was hoping that story didn't end that way, sorry.
My nephew and your dad are pulling strings, I know it.
My nephew spent many months at Children's Hosp. when he was 13 for a liver transplant. Biggest sports fan I knew.
He died 12 years after the transplant in 2008. My family kept his season ticket and I sat in it for "THE TIP".

I've waited since 1976 for a team like this. Still pinching myself, especially after "THE COMEBACK".

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. Family and good friends are what its all about. Love me some Hawks.

I was thinking last night before falling asleep: Holy crap, we're in back to back Super Bowls.
Was like going to sleep on Christmas Eve.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Great post..I am sure your dad was as proud as the rest of us 12s when we won last year. He will be watching as we repeat this year.!! God bless you guys.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. I'm sure your dad'd be proud.

I started watching 'Hawks games around the mid-90s when I wasn't really old enough to understand the sport, just to share it with my dad. These sorts of stories are a reminder of how good sports can be.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Awesome post! We have a battle on our hands but I think we get it done and your Dad will be jumping up and down all over again. Just like he did when Largent caught his 100th reception. GO HAWKS!!!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome post. Your dad must be in the same section as my Father-in-law who passed this past Thanksgiving. The Hawks are undefeated ever since. :D

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
Aros":2ct5xd6a said:
Awesome post. Your dad must be in the same section as my Father-in-law who passed this past Thanksgiving. The Hawks are undefeated ever since. :D
I think Les is in that section too, rooting them on.