Kenny Easley or Kam Chancellor?

stang233

Reaction score
Championship week. How can u be thinking of this. This is for April.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
If Kam continues this trend through these playoffs I can say without a doubt that he's the most consistently dominant playoff defender in history. You know...when it really matters. That will seal it.

I've already been reading about people saying the same thing. The guy is just the apex predator in the brightest of lights on the biggest stages and dominates.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Easley is my favorite old school hawk. That said, Kam is pretty much on equal ground at least to me. Earl is there too.

Being a fan of big time safeties, this is a great time to watch the Seahawks.

Mick063

Reaction score
I have watched them both extensively.

Easley was a transcendental player. What I mean by that is that he was one of the first of his kind. Outstanding in coverage, great ball skills, but could move up and play like a linebacker. This is why he took the league by storm. He was unique. There was no other strong safety like him. Jack Tatum of Raiders fame could hit like a truck, but wasn't as good in coverage. Tatum more or less separated receivers from the ball and installed fear. Easley took the ball away and gave the offense field position. Since then we have seen the likes of Lott, Polamalu and various others. They were all patterned after the original Kenny Easley. He was the prototype.

I'm surprising myself by saying this, but I agree with Ronnie Lott. Before it is all said and done, Chancellor will be regarded as the best strong safety in league history. He is huge, athletic, quick, and very smart. He would be a dominant player in any era. If you were to ask me who I think the best single player on this Seahawk team is, I would say Kam Chancellor. If you were to change the identity of this team, if you wanted to severely cripple this team, you would remove Kam Chancellor.

There will be a few players from this team that will make the Hall of Fame. It would be a crime if Chancellor is not one of them.

Maulbert

Reaction score

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Walter Jones or Easley? Such different positions. Walter Jones was to LT what Easley was to SS. But Easley went above and beyond. He was like Kam and Sherman rolled into one. Walter was the perfect LT.

There's no meaningful way to debate which was better.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one's pointed out the horrendous spelling in the title

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
JSeahawks":34xcbrpq said:
Easley, easily, IMO. If he had played longer he would be thought if as the best safety ever.

I have to agree. Having watched Easley play extensively growing up, I can tell you that in his prime he was perhaps the best safety that I ever saw. Unbelievable athleticism, hitting power, nastiness, and a nose for the football. Imagine if you will taking Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, and Richard Sherman and somehow combining them all in to one ultra powerful Uber-Defensive Back. That was Kenny Easley.

Those who are too young to have seen him play, in a word he truly was a wonder to behold ...

[youtube]quxbCQ4m8Ww[/youtube]

I LOVE Kam Chancellor. But make no mistake -- he is the 2nd Best Strong Safety in team history. Those who saw him play will tell you there is no debate. Ronnie Lott said this past week that Easley was the best safety he ever saw. If not for his kidney issues, he would be in the Hall of Fame and would legitimately be in the conversation as the best safety in the history of the NFL.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Just imagine if Chancellor would have married and had a son with Easley's Daughter..

Genius! :lol:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":ek6qmjc2 said:
Just imagine if Chancellor would have married and had a son with Easley's Daughter..

Genius! :lol:

I listened to that interview tonight. Could you imagine? College recruiters would be swarming around that kid and offering full ride scholarships while he's still in the womb.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Before this season I would have said Easley in a heartbeat, even with as dominant as Kam was last season and during our Super Bowl run. Now... let's just say Kam is making that call somewhat interesting. Can't argue the hitting; both hit like Mack trucks doing 85 haulin' hogs on I-one-oh to Shaky Town. And as far as instincts and coverage and being in the right place at the right time go, the argument can be made that Kam's all that too. If he weren't, those quake-hits wouldn't happen and Vernon Davis would still have his balls, tonsils, and wisdom teeth intact. And Wes Welker wouldn't micturate himself in heavy traffic when somebody sounds the horn when he tries to cut them off.

Give it another year and get back to me on this discussion. Things may be a bit more sorted out by then.

Seafan

Reaction score
When Kam gets 10 interceptions in a season then he'll be approaching Easley. Ken was a free safety playing strong safety but could have been an All Pro CB.

Kam could play LB, LEO and still be very good.