Carolina = Smoke and Mirrors

Rob12

Reaction score
Weak bark, non-existent bite.

I'm hearing from people that Carolina is a team to be worried about. It's true that this is the playoffs and Carolina typically plays us very tough, but I don't share in the anxiety that others have (not so much here, but in my personal life mostly).

We're at home playing an inferior team.

Some have attempted to contrast our defense with theirs. While I do believe their defense is solid, I also think that it's worth looking at the context in which people believe this.

Points given up by Carolina's defense over their last five games:

@ Minnesota: 31
@ New Orleans: 10
vs. Tampa Bay: 17
vs. Cleveland: 13
@ Atlanta: 3

That's 74 points given up in five games; 14.8 PPG allowed.

Combined records of those five teams?

29-51.

Average offensive ranking faced over last five games?

17.8. That number is misleading too, considering that New Orleans' No. 1 ranked offense is included (which, quite honestly, was a very good performance in a tough environment).

Their defense was lights out today... Against Arizona, a team that has easily the most pathetic offense in the playoffs due to their injuries.

Now, all of this goes out the window six days from now, but Carolina is quite simply a team that doesn't worry me in the least. Their defense has feasted on terrible teams with mostly bottom dwelling offenses. I think they might pose some problems here and there for our offense, but our defense will shut down Newton again and an offense that is the very definition of mediocre.

Add in the 12's, and it's a recipe for disaster for the Panthers.

Of course, all of this is assumed on Dallas taking care of Detroit tomorrow, which to me is a bit of a toss up at this point.

Our road to SB 49 looks to be pretty well paved, with minimal potholes along the way.

Believe.

shawnsim

Reaction score
Cam has never been in this environment before. I predict a deer in the headlights performance much like Kaeps first time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The nice part is that I'm not too worried about Detroit either. They have a scary defensive line and a good receiving corps, but our secondary is pretty good and I think we match up really well against their running game. We're also pretty familiar with Jason Jones and Ansah and Suh aren't going to get many pass rushing opportunities against our run heavy offense. I'm also not remotely scared of Stafford on the road against a good opponent.

It's a relaxing weekend for Seahawks fans for sure.

Kakaww

Reaction score
I'm guessing the average offensive rating over the last six games for Seattle is worse. 20+ maybe? So, much of what you said about the Panthers defense can be applied to the Hawks. I fully expect Carolina to limit our offense like they have the past few years. I hope I am wrong.

The real weakness I see with the Panthers is how sloppy they can look on offense. If they protect the ball and Cam stays confident and accurate, I expect a close game. They can make some big plays downfield and Cam can really scoot. Bad record? Yes, but any team on a 5 game win streak should be considered dangerous.

kearly

Reaction score
Carolina is rooting for Detroit on Sunday, no doubt.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
AgentDib":13p4m7s3 said:
The nice part is that I'm not too worried about Detroit either. They have a scary defensive line and a good receiving corps, but our secondary is pretty good and I think we match up really well against their running game. We're also pretty familiar with Jason Jones and Ansah and Suh aren't going to get many pass rushing opportunities against our run heavy offense. I'm also not remotely scared of Stafford on the road against a good opponent.

Average ranking of 19 on who the Hawks have played, with more dominant numbers.

And I think the defense that has finished No. 1 in DVOA three years running - a unit considered widely as historically elite - deserves to not be compared with the Panthers, no?

Jake Hawks

Reaction score
Every game from here on out is prime time. We know how the hawks play in prime time.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Kakaww":1goqsmtp said:
I'm guessing the average offensive rating over the last six games for Seattle is worse. 20+ maybe? So, much of what you said about the Panthers defense can be applied to the Hawks. I fully expect Carolina to limit our offense like they have the past few years. I hope I am wrong.

The real weakness I see with the Panthers is how sloppy they can look on offense. If they protect the ball and Cam stays confident and accurate, I expect a close game. They can make some big plays downfield and Cam can really scoot. Bad record? Yes, but any team on a 5 game win streak should be considered dangerous.

Definitely.

I'm not ignoring our obvious improvements on D since Wagz and Chancellor have returned full strength; however, to remain semi-objective, we haven't faced any world beaters at QB since then. I still think the state of their OL bodes well for our pass rush..hopefully Hill will be ready to go, so our DL can have an all-out banquet while the secondary and LB corps cover Cam's favorite targets long enough. Benjamin is a beast, but I think our secondary will feast if Cam continues the force the ball to him.

When we are on offense is when the situation becomes more murky. We've never really lit it up against these guys, and they know us well. Really solid, competent group that is led by one of the best MLBs in the business. Our O needs to protect the ball, as usual. I'd like to say the ground game will open up if we keep feeding the beast, but that hasn't worked too well against these cats in the past. The one caveat in that regard is that we normally play them somewhere near the beginning of the season when we're still shuffling the line and trying to establish solid blocking.

We'll probably watch 4 quarters of mostly frustration on O, but I think if we take good care of the football on O and ST, our D can take care of the rest.

Kakaww

Reaction score
Rob12":3uf9s289 said:
AgentDib":3uf9s289 said:

And I think the defense that has finished No. 1 in DVOA three years running - a unit considered widely as historically elite - deserves to not be compared with the Panthers, no?

I think this comment was meant for me. I wasn't comparing the two defenses, just responding to your valid point of, "Their defense has feasted on terrible teams with mostly bottom dwelling offenses."

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Kakaww":2uvyfr5w said:

Double post.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Kakaww":2z6qxdqc said:
Rob12":2z6qxdqc said:
AgentDib":2z6qxdqc said:

I think this comment was meant for me. I wasn't comparing the two defenses, just responding to your valid point of, "Their defense has feasted on terrible teams with mostly bottom dwelling offenses."

Gotcha, and fair enough.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":3o5tc6ux said:
Carolina is rooting for Detroit on Sunday, no doubt.

Their board is pretty split it seems since GB destroyed Carolina in week 7 while games against Seattle have been so dang close.

That being said Carolina will be tough. Their D gives the hawks fits. Hawk D should contain their O just fine.

it will be a slugfest if they do come here.

hawk35fan

Reaction score
shawnsim":3qnzvng0 said:
Cam has never been in this environment before. I predict a deer in the headlights performance much like Kaeps first time.

I also can see the above happening. The fact that the team is not having to travel to the east coast for a 10:00a.m game should also be an added benefit.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Rob12":hky4524p said:
Weak bark, non-existent bite.

I'm hearing from people that Carolina is a team to be worried about. It's true that this is the playoffs and Carolina typically plays us very tough, but I don't share in the anxiety that others have (not so much here, but in my personal life mostly).

We're at home playing an inferior team.

Some have attempted to contrast our defense with theirs. While I do believe their defense is solid, I also think that it's worth looking at the context in which people believe this.

Points given up by Carolina's defense over their last five games:

@ Minnesota: 31
@ New Orleans: 10
vs. Tampa Bay: 17
vs. Cleveland: 13
@ Atlanta: 3

That's 74 points given up in five games; 14.8 PPG allowed.

Combined records of those five teams?

29-51.

Average offensive ranking faced over last five games?

17.8. That number is misleading too, considering that New Orleans' No. 1 ranked offense is included (which, quite honestly, was a very good performance in a tough environment).

Their defense was lights out today... Against Arizona, a team that has easily the most pathetic offense in the playoffs due to their injuries.

Now, all of this goes out the window six days from now, but Carolina is quite simply a team that doesn't worry me in the least. Their defense has feasted on terrible teams with mostly bottom dwelling offenses. I think they might pose some problems here and there for our offense, but our defense will shut down Newton again and an offense that is the very definition of mediocre.

Add in the 12's, and it's a recipe for disaster for the Panthers.

Of course, all of this is assumed on Dallas taking care of Detroit tomorrow, which to me is a bit of a toss up at this point.

Our road to SB 49 looks to be pretty well paved, with minimal potholes along the way.

Believe.

@MIN two punts were blocked and returned for TDs in the first half in mind numbing temperatures, an event that had only happened 4 other times in league history for an entire game, two being in 1920, the league's first year.

On that note however, the Panther special teams have been horrid and even jump started the Hawks in CLT, with Richardson's return and Hauschka's 59 yard bomb.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I kinda salivate at the idea of Tate catching the Holy Ghost from Kam... But I'd be cool with Carolina as well i guess.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Erebus":3ey7zlln said:
Jake Hawks":3ey7zlln said:
Every game from here on out is prime time. We know how the hawks play in prime time.

Not true. The NFCCG will start at 12 PM Pacific.

I can say with confidence that you missed the point of their post.

themunn

Reaction score
I would rather play Carolina and then either Green Bay or Dallas than play Detroit and then either Green Bay or Carolina (since we all know that game will go one way). The Carolina game is basically a bye for the opponent, I'd much rather we got it than Green Bay.

So for tonight, go... Cowboys? :pukeface:

pehawk

Reaction score
Why is there such a need to shit all over the Panthers or any other team? I respect the hell out of what the Panthers did. Needing to win two straight road division games is nothing to sneeze at. They play pretty much identical to Seattle, just differently.

Does that mean they beat Seattle? No. No it does not. But, IMO, they are the 2nd hottest team entering the playoffs.

Ya'll sound like HS girls that call the new hot girl "a slut" for no reason. That's literally what you guys remind me of.

sn-dialectR.jpg

DirtyDave

Reaction score
They are not "the new hot girl". They are the same old "slut" they have always been..