Wisconsin's O-Line with Wilson

Crizilla

Reaction score
after watching RW highlights when he was at Wisconsin....wow. He has so much time. He'll make a scramble play here and there but just from watching the highlights you can easily tell if he had the time he could be an elite passing QB in the NFL (if hes not already). I think we all know how good RW can be but I really hope we can get a great O-Line so he can shine in the passing game. It's just really awesome to see him play with a legit O-Line.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I wouldn't be mad if they drafted all O-line and D-line this next draft. Let them all compete in training camps and keep the best ones.

Actually I wouldn't be mad if they drafted all O-line either.

Smellyman

Reaction score
that's why he has the all time passer rating his senior year.

1. Russell Wilson 191.78 2011 Wisconsin

I don't believe it though, must be something wrong. He can't throw from the pocket behind that huge Wisconsin line.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkFan72":wvvg4orf said:
I wouldn't be mad if they drafted all O-line and D-line this next draft. Let them all compete in training camps and keep the best ones.

How often have you seen an NFL team do that?

BillHawks

Reaction score
Smellyman":3gs9rzfb said:

I don't believe it though, must be something wrong. He can't throw from the pocket behind that huge Wisconsin line.

I've always thought of that subject a different way. I have absolutely no statistics to back this up but I imagine that the average D-line he played against was much smaller (or at least less skilled) than the NFL average. The difference to me has more to do with guys getting their hands up than his O-line being big.

Smellyman

Reaction score
BillHawks":10vlcdsu said:
Smellyman":10vlcdsu said:

I've always thought of that subject a different way. I have absolutely no statistics to back this up but I imagine that the average D-line he played against was much smaller (or at least less skilled) than the NFL average. The difference to me has more to do with guys getting their hands up than his O-line being big.

less skilled yes, players are in the NFL for a reason, but probably not much smaller playing in the Big 10 and ACC

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":33g1o9fh said:

Oh yeah?, well...................Andy Luck

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1p5t13wf said:
HawkFan72":1p5t13wf said:

How often have you seen an NFL team do that?

I saw the Saints go all RB throughout the draft. Does that count :)

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Crizilla":3burb55v said:
after watching RW highlights when he was at Wisconsin....wow. He has so much time. He'll make a scramble play here and there but just from watching the highlights you can easily tell if he had the time he could be an elite passing QB in the NFL (if hes not already). I think we all know how good RW can be but I really hope we can get a great O-Line so he can shine in the passing game. It's just really awesome to see him play with a legit O-Line.
You do realize that no QB gets that kind of passing time in the NFL, right? Wilson as it is holds the ball longer than any QB in the NFL. Even if he had the best line in the NFL I have a hunch that he would still end up with a lot of sacks due to his playing style. The good news is he has made some progress this season in this department.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
HawkFan72":t0ggj6rc said:

Really, I do not get this obsession people have with the offensive line around here. Yes it is an important component to the game, but right now we have much larger, more pressing issues --- that being our receiver core which is easily one of the worst in the league if not THE worst.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I think you're minimizing the level of competition Russell went against. Russell was an elite 5th year senior dominating against the college level. It's unfair expect him to maintain that level of play at the pro level simply with an elite level Oline. The throwing lanes will never be as big and his receivers will never be as open, nor will the defenses he plays have an overall lack of talent or brains to defend a balanced offense with a mobile QB like most of Wisconsin's opponents.

In reality. Russell's style of play really hasn't changed much from his college days. He made smart, high percentage throws, used his mobility to break the pocket and find open receivers, and didn't force the ball on risky passes. He still gave up a lot of sacks. Wisconsin's highly rated Oline gave up 25 sacks in 2011 on 328 attempts. Compare that to USC's 8 sacks on 447 attempts or Oklahoma State's 12 sacks on 595 attempts.

(Looking at the rushing stats and carries number, you could say Wisconsin's Offensive line was better built to run block than pass pro. Hmmm...)

Any QB can operate well in a perfect pocket, but some need that perfect pocket more than others, like Barkley of USC or Brandon Weeden from OK State. Wilson is not one of those guys who needs a perfect pocket to be effective as a QB. Heck, there's evidence that even with a perfect pocket he prefers to break out of it because it gives him more options to make a play.

My point is that overspending on Oline is not utilizing our draft or cap resources to the team's best needs if our QB isn't a pocket passer. Wilson wants to make plays with his feet. Why not spend the money/draft picks on an elite, athletic receiver who can work well with Wilson on scramble plays (Tate 2.0) or a big WR/TE security blanket that Wilson feels comfortable throwing to in tight coverage? Those, imo, are the bigger needs on offense than another top draft pick on the Oline.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
If you have a perfect O Line, you still need players who can get open. We need that badly. I would be happy with drafting another pass catching option(WR/TE), more OL for depth, and of course D depth.
I can see just that happening. Shoot, I wouldn't doubt that we draft another RB either.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1tcn2q9r said:
Crizilla":1tcn2q9r said:
You do realize that no QB gets that kind of passing time in the NFL, right? Wilson as it is holds the ball longer than any QB in the NFL. Even if he had the best line in the NFL I have a hunch that he would still end up with a lot of sacks due to his playing style. The good news is he has made some progress this season in this department.
You do realize that no one is expecting him or any other QB to get that kind of time in the NFL, right? You do realize this is for illustrative purposes and not to be taken literally, right? You do realize that one of the factors in him holding the ball the longest in the NFL is that his receivers struggle to get open (his #1 WR is a slot guy, Doug Baldwin), right? You do realize his level of play would increase if he did have more time in the pocket and better WRs, right?

You do realize that your nearly endless sniping at Wilson makes you look small-minded and singularly focused here, right?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":109iujtr said:
Spin Doctor":109iujtr said:
Crizilla":109iujtr said:
You do realize that no one is expecting him or any other QB to get that kind of time in the NFL, right? You do realize this is for illustrative purposes and not to be taken literally, right? You do realize that one of the factors in him holding the ball the longest in the NFL is that his receivers struggle to get open (his #1 WR is a slot guy, Doug Baldwin), right? You do realize his level of play would increase if he did have more time in the pocket and better WRs, right?

You do realize that your nearly endless sniping at Wilson makes you look small-minded and singularly focused here, right?
2007 Hass was better. :stirthepot: