Good Thing, Bad Thing

BlueOne

Reaction score
Good Thing Bobby Wagner is the best linebacker on this team and he sure played like it today. Glad to have him back. Irvin had another quietly good day too.

Bad Thing Our 4th string center is really bad. Like somehow he makes everyone on the O-line around him worse level of bad.

Good Thing Wilson clearly had his best game since we played the Rams. He was accurate, stood in the pocket when he could despite lots of pressure all day, and made clutch runs when he needed to. He did miss a wide open TD to Lockette by under-throwing him on the flea flicker though.

Bad Thing Pete's time management is still bad. We got the ball back with 15 seconds at the end of the first half and took a knee instead of with a minute or so. I'm sure if you asked Pete he would say he didn't call a timeout to "put pressure" on Stanton... Silly imo.

Good Thing Avril abused the Cardinals RT today even though it often didn't result in a sack. Those plays last year, or maybe even this year with Mebane, are plays where a little DT push destroys the play.

Bad Thing Bevell is not good. It's been said here a lot and I won't go into it too deeply but ask yourself this, how many of our good offensive plays are plays that actually worked out as designed? I feel like 90% of our big plays come on broken plays with either Wilson magic or Lynch breaking multiple tackles. Bevell doesn't have a job without those two making this offense move even when his plays don't work.

Bad Thing Penalties/Refs. Some of this is of course on our guys. God only knows how we manage so many false starts and offsides every game. That said, yet another week where our opponents are well below their season average of calls against with the Cards getting 3 today, season average pre-game of 6.5. Are teams just magically more disciplined while playing the Hawks? I don't think so. I saw multiple Cards false starts go uncalled, the play where all our guys pointed in the 1st half, and the last play of the third quarter our ones I wrote down. Quite a bit of offensive holding went uncalled too, though that pretty much happens in every NFL game.

Neutral Thing 49ers winning in the end. It really doesn't matter anymore if they win vs other teams. The Hawks need to beat the 49ers to win the division anyway and if we do that then the 49ers are irrelevant. If we don't do that then we're out of the playoffs anyway.

Best Thing Seahawks win and move to 7-4. It's been a rocky season but we're still in the thick of the playoff hunt. If this team is as good as last year we finish 11-5 and either win our division, or get to play the awful team that wins the NFC South as the 5 seed.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
BlueOne":1xh1xcig said:
Good Thing Bobby Wagner is the best linebacker on this team and he sure played like it today. Glad to have him back. Irvin had another quietly good day too.

Bad Thing Our 4th string center is really bad. Like somehow he makes everyone on the O-line around him worse level of bad.

Good Thing Wilson clearly had his best game since we played the Rams. He was accurate, stood in the pocket when he could despite lots of pressure all day, and made clutch runs when he needed to. He did miss a wide open TD to Lockette by under-throwing him on the flea flicker though.

Bad Thing Pete's time management is still bad. We got the ball back with 15 seconds at the end of the first half and took a knee instead of with a minute or so. I'm sure if you asked Pete he would say he didn't call a timeout to "put pressure" on Stanton... Silly imo.

Good Thing Avril abused the Cardinals RT today even though it often didn't result in a sack. Those plays last year, or maybe even this year with Mebane, are plays where a little DT push destroys the play.

Bad Thing Bevell is not good. It's been said here a lot and I won't go into it too deeply but ask yourself this, how many of our good offensive plays are plays that actually worked out as designed? I feel like 90% of our big plays come on broken plays with either Wilson magic or Lynch breaking multiple tackles. Bevell doesn't have a job without those two making this offense move even when his plays don't work.

Bad Thing Penalties/Refs. Some of this is of course on our guys. God only knows how we manage so many false starts and offsides every game. That said, yet another week where our opponents are well below their season average of calls against with the Cards getting 3 today, season average pre-game of 6.5. Are teams just magically more disciplined while playing the Hawks? I don't think so. I saw multiple Cards false starts go uncalled, the play where all our guys pointed in the 1st half, and the last play of the third quarter our ones I wrote down. Quite a bit of offensive holding went uncalled too, though that pretty much happens in every NFL game.

Neutral Thing 49ers winning in the end. It really doesn't matter anymore if they win vs other teams. The Hawks need to beat the 49ers to win the division anyway and if we do that then the 49ers are irrelevant. If we don't do that then we're out of the playoffs anyway.

Best Thing Seahawks win and move to 7-4. It's been a rocky season but we're still in the thick of the playoff hunt. If this team is as good as last year we finish 11-5 and either win our division, or get to play the awful team that wins the NFC South as the 5 seed.

Calling his time management "bad" is implying he doesnt do it correctly/ disregards it.

The truth is, you don't agree with his philosophy. Which is fine. I wanted him to call the timeout too at first, but then I thought about the way AZ was manhandling our o-line in the first half, I realized the likelihood of pulling off a 45 second drive was pretty slim. Pete probably decided hoping for a sack or a dumb play by Stanton to let the clock run out was a higher percentage probability.

But it was purposeful, not bungled.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3ihri7a2 said:
Calling his time management "bad" is implying he doesnt do it correctly/ disregards it.

The truth is, you don't agree with his philosophy. Which is fine. I wanted him to call the timeout too at first, but then I thought about the way AZ was manhandling our o-line in the first half, I realized the likelihood of pulling off a 45 second drive was pretty slim. Pete probably decided hoping for a sack or a dumb play by Stanton to let the clock run out was a higher percentage probability.

But it was purposeful, not bungled.

That's what I also thought, it was like 1st or 2nd down with a min left. I understood the decision.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
It's the right call when you're in a defensive grudge match and slowly beating the **** out of the other team.

OP
OP
B

BlueOne

Reaction score
Were we slowly beating the shit out of the other team? If not for a drop the next play it would have been 7-9. Moreover, it's not just this one incident Pete pretty much never calls timeouts near the end of halves to preserve time for the offense. This has cost us 3-4 attempts to tie/comeback since he's got here. You're right that he didn't make a "mistake" in the sense he did it on purpose, but if anything that makes it worse to me as we know it will continue to happen. Depriving your offense of possessions is not a sound strategy.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
It's not like the Seahawks are going to drop a big td bomb on the other team, or even put together a quick drive (which would require pass-protection and good recievers). They might as well just go to the second half and come out and play their slow grinding game. PC is right.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Good Thing: We threw 7 balls to our TE's today, and all were complete.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
BlueOne":2z9pts9l said:

Irony: The defending Superbowl Champion Seattle Seahawks go on the road in the wild card round to play the New Orleans Saints who win their sorry division with a losing record. Has New Orleans ever experienced a 'quake of any kind?

minormillikin

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":fjigeajt said:
It's not like the Seahawks are going to drop a big td bomb on the other team, or even put together a quick drive (which would require pass-protection and good recievers). They might as well just go to the second half and come out and play their slow grinding game. PC is right.

I think what he meant was, we could have had the ball back with a minute or more had we used timeouts.

There really wasn't any advantage to letting them run the clock so low before the field goal, even if they weren't going to call timeouts before 4th down.

I agree, Pete should have saved time on the clock in that situation. Defensive match or not, it's not unheard of for Russ to march it into field goal range in a minute (or more).

HawkWow

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":233r5vwk said:
BlueOne":233r5vwk said:

Irony: The defending Superbowl Champion Seattle Seahawks go on the road in the wild card round to play the New Orleans Saints who win their sorry division with a losing record. Has New Orleans ever experienced a 'quake of any kind?

Most excellent. (but this time the champs win).

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1sg2tqu9 said:
seedhawk":1sg2tqu9 said:
Good observation and something I like to see........good, 'cheap' yards often. Thanks for the post.

With a healthy Zach (?) and the addition of Helfert and Willson coming out of his sophomore slump (?), suddenly, for the first time I'm not wishing we drafted ASJ. Next year the position could be a strength. Not holding my breath with McCoy...but yeah, him too.

blue 22

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":l1f67r1y said:

How come other nfl teams can do it then? Its not that hard to do... even with a running first team. I dont get it.

seedhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":fd6ml7fc said:
hawksfansinceday1":fd6ml7fc said:
seedhawk":fd6ml7fc said:
Good observation and something I like to see........good, 'cheap' yards often. Thanks for the post.

With a healthy Zach (?) and the addition of Helfert and Willson coming out of his sophomore slump (?), suddenly, for the first time I'm not wishing we drafted ASJ. Next year the position could be a strength. Not holding my breath with McCoy...but yeah, him too.

Historically, the Hawks have never emphasized the TE position. It really isn't a lack of talent, but more just erosion from underutilization. It is interesting that if used, the TE's make our WR's look better, because if the threat is there, it keeps a safety and at least 1 LB in the middle of the field. Football is basically an exercise of geometry.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Pete concedes offensive possessions all the time and if he had an average defense it would cost us games. However, with an elite defense that strategy wins games. I think he has earned the right to be conservative on offense because he is responsible for that elite defense. It will always bother some people but Pete won't be changing at this point, especially not now when it has been validated with a ring.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
blue 22":2moqbkhp said:
Lords of Scythia":2moqbkhp said:

How come other nfl teams can do it then? Its not that hard to do... even with a running first team. I dont get it.

The Seahawks CAN do it. But with the flow of the game, and the disruptions AZ was causing in our backfield on nearly every play, the percentages were low at that juncture.