The Geno/Pete Factor? Will It Be A Thing?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was pondering whether the fact that both Geno and Pete have ties in their past to the Jets would have any additional factor in the game Sunday.

We are an ego-driven species and no matter the quality of character of an individual, it's not at all uncommon to want to "stick it to" their former team on some level. I'm just curious if that will be a factor or not come Sunday. I have to think more for Geno than Pete but it's an interesting dynamic that I will be wondering about, especially if we win.

Thoughts?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pete is a hell of a motivator. I can see him making it a thing and getting Geno fired up. Also, Geno has a lot to play for these next couple weeks. Not just a chance at playoffs, but how much $ he is going to make on his next contract.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed. Not to mention the Saleh angle too. I imagine Pete wouldn't mind handing a friendly L to a former underling.

This has the fixins to be one of the better games this Sunday.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I always worry about Geno when he feels like he needs to prove a point. He's at his best when he doesn't try to force things and just lets the game happen. When he tries to force things is when things kind of fall apart for him. He doesn't need to play hero ball, just solid fundamentals will get Geno back on track.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Maybe for Geno but not Pete. Geno just needs to not turn the ball over and hope our defense can not suck.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Especially early in games. Not sure why, but the last month, he seems a lot more careless with the ball. We need mid-season Geno. He was LOCKED IN (no pun intended)
We get that, they have a very good shot at winning these next 2.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
His "peak" seemed to coincide when we were firing on all cylinders during that 4-game winning streak. Our running game was solid, protection was solid, the offense wasn't one dimensional, and the defense was playing their best during that stretch as well. It all coincides with allowing Geno not to feel like he has to force anything. Great arm, (mostly) very accurate. Play within the system and he shines.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
His "peak" seemed to coincide when we were firing on all cylinders during that 4-game winning streak. Our running game was solid, protection was solid, the offense wasn't one dimensional, and the defense was playing their best during that stretch as well. It all coincides with allowing Geno not to feel like he has to force anything. Great arm, (mostly) very accurate. Play within the system and he shines.
The play calling was also a lot different. We'd set up the run with the pass, using a lot of spread concepts to get teams spread out. Lot more quick hitters and rhythm passing, it looked like a modern NFL offense. When teams cheated up we hit them with the deep bomb. Classic WCO offense stuff. Later in the game we'd poor on the run when they were in lighter sets. We also ran a lot more from under center rather than the shotgun. The tempo was also varied.

Now the offense seems to have reverted back to the kind of stuff you'd see from a RW lead offense. Play comes in at last moment, Geno can't adjust plays at the LOS because the clock is running out, we're running really long developing deep crossing routes towards the sidelines. Run game went from a lot of motion and trickery to just trying to pound it up the gut from the shotgun. The playcalling isn't matching our situation.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Maybe for Geno but not Pete. Geno just needs to not turn the ball over and hope our defense can not suck.
"Maybe for Geno but Not Pete"?, like what the hell man? are you or are you not a Seahawks fan Chuck?

BASF

Reaction score
"Maybe for Geno but Not Pete"?, like what the hell man? are you or are you not a Seahawks fan Chuck?
Why would Pete have extra motivation against a Jets team that he was involved with twenty-eight years ago with literally no one in their organization that he had ties to except for his protege? He has also beaten the Jets every time he has played them since returning to the NFL.

With Geno, the Chairman/CEO is still there from when Geno was demoted, when he lost the QB competition to Fitzpatrick, and was ultimately not re-signed. He has also not faced them since, so this could be leveraged as a revenge game for Geno. Carroll, not so much.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
BASF captured my thoughts perfectly. Water under the bridge, Pete has players on the team that weren't even alive when that happened.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I watched Paul Silvi interview Pete last night on the weekly Seahawks Central and he asked if there were any extra motivation and while it wasn't so much the Jets, he did say he especially wants to beat his former coaches/assistants that were under him. He made it very clear that even they know that about him. So yes, he will definitely be motivated to win this Sunday due to the Saleh factor.