#6 seed in the NFC currently

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Could be #5 if the Cowboys lose tonight. ESPN and other sites are incorrect saying Detroit wins the tie-breaker over us, the Seahawks hold the tie-breaker on Detroit via common games.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RunTheBall":1642t24x said:
Could be #5 if the Cowboys lose tonight. ESPN and other sites are incorrect saying Detroit wins the tie-breaker over us, the Seahawks hold the tie-breaker on Detroit via common games.

Lions win 3-way tie-breaker because they have a better strength of victory than we do.

OP
OP
R

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1n1f1yxf said:
RunTheBall":1n1f1yxf said:

Lions win 3-way tie-breaker because they have a better strength of victory than we do.
Nope, they wouldn't. Even a 4-way tie-breaker with Us, 49ers, Lions and Cowboys we would finish 1st of the 4.

WeakBeak

Reaction score
Explain to me how we win the tie breaker against the lions? Not sure how that works!

bigwrm

Reaction score
I think we currently have the tiebreaker over the Lions because we have a better conference record. If conference record is tied, then it goes to common games.

NJlargent

Reaction score
If we beat San Francisco and our defense looks almost as good as it did today, then I think we are getting in the playoffs. It does not matter to me what Detroit or Dallas does. They are both a facade this year and Dallas beat what I am hoping was a Seahawks team that needed to get healthy.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
bigwrm":27p6gbo8 said:
I think we currently have the tiebreaker over the Lions because we have a better conference record. If conference record is tied, then it goes to common games.

Seahawks and Lions are both 5-2 within conference. We have the tiebreaker by virtue of common games (NYG, CAR, GB, and ARI). Detroit lost to CAR and ARI.

[FURTHER EDIT: No wait, I wasn't wrong! :D](EDIT: I was wrong about the following sentence.) In fact, we could jump to the #5 seed tonight if the Giants win (LOL). Cowboys would be 4-4 within conference.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
RunTheBall":130frx0j said:

The sites are saying that the Lions win the tiebreaker because of strength of victory. Their SOV pct is .419 to Seattle's .408.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2c8s3eea said:
RunTheBall":2c8s3eea said:

The sites are saying that the Lions win the tiebreaker because of strength of victory. Their SOV pct is .419 to Seattle's .408.

Common games precedes strength of victory. NFL website has Seattle #6 seed.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2wiy6zlg said:
bigwrm":2wiy6zlg said:

Seahawks and Lions are both 5-2 within conference. We have the tiebreaker by virtue of common games (NYG, CAR, GB, and ARI). Detroit lost to CAR and ARI.

In fact, we could jump to the #5 seed tonight if the Giants win (LOL). Cowboys would be 4-4 within conference.
Doesn't head-to-head against the Cowboys take precedence? I thought we lose the tiebreaker to Dallas because we lost to them. If not, then--HELL YEAH.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Everyone in the NFC that matters right now is either 8-3 or 7-4 with the exception of the Cards, who could even collapse and find themselves out of the playoffs, if you believe that. I've seen crap like that happen quite often.

What matters is if the Hawks win they have a good degree of control over the outcome. Heck, if the Hawks are able to win out and the Cards lose one more then the Hawks take the west.

There is a whole lot of opportunity in front of the Hawks right now. Being #6 or even #7 in the playoff hunt right now is really rather irrelevant. Just about everyone in the NFC playoff hunt right now has a pretty difficult schedule with the exception of the Lions.

It all takes care of itself if the Hawks win. Screw it, man.....

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":4hx0x735 said:
MontanaHawk05":4hx0x735 said:
bigwrm":4hx0x735 said:

In fact, we could jump to the #5 seed tonight if the Giants win (LOL). Cowboys would be 4-4 within conference.
Doesn't head-to-head against the Cowboys take precedence? I thought we lose the tiebreaker to Dallas because we lost to them. If not, then--HELL YEAH.

Cowboys are #5 seed.

Cartire

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2085h7ye said:
Lords of Scythia":2085h7ye said:
MontanaHawk05":2085h7ye said:
bigwrm":2085h7ye said:

Cowboys are #5 seed.

No, in a 3-way tie or more, head to head is thrown out.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1q209rtl said:
Lords of Scythia":1q209rtl said:
MontanaHawk05":1q209rtl said:
bigwrm":1q209rtl said:

Cowboys are #5 seed.
If the Cowboys lose tonight they'll have the same record as the Seahawks and the tiebreaker comes into play.

OP
OP
R

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":g8d275nq said:
If the Cowboys lose tonight they'll have the same record as the Seahawks and the tiebreaker comes into play.
Head-to-head would be thrown out because the Cowboys didn't play the Lions, ESPN is completely wrong on their standings/playoff machine.

Cartire

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":1fml93v4 said:
MontanaHawk05":1fml93v4 said:
Cowboys are #5 seed.

but not head to head. Any 3-way or more tie removes head to head tie breakers.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Cartire":3t572toz said:
Lords of Scythia":3t572toz said:
MontanaHawk05":3t572toz said:
Cowboys are #5 seed.

According to what I'm reading on the NFL website, head-to-head tie breakers apply in every situation.

The difference with three or more clubs is that a division with two or more representatives in the tie (in this case, the NFC West with SEA and SF) would just need to eliminate one of those teams first. After that, the steps are identical to a two-club tiebreaker, including head-to-head.

So Dallas would win that and retain #5 seed even if they lose tonight; I was wrong on that much.

GCrow

Reaction score
I don't think the Lions win another game, so who cares about them.

Cartire

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2tjlbqns said:
Cartire":2tjlbqns said:
Lords of Scythia":2tjlbqns said:
MontanaHawk05":2tjlbqns said:
Cowboys are #5 seed.

According to what I'm reading on the NFL website, head-to-head tie breakers apply in every situation.

The difference with three or more clubs is that a division with two or more representatives in the tie (in this case, the NFC West with SEA and SF) would just need to eliminate one of those teams first. After that, the steps are identical to a two-club tiebreaker, including head-to-head.

So Dallas would win that and retain #5 seed even if they lose tonight; I was wrong on that much.

Three or more teams
(Note: If two teams remain tied after the third step or other teams are eliminated, tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-team format.)
1. Apply division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked team in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two wild-card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one team has defeated each of the others or if one team has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss.