Where Do The Hawks Stand in the NFC?

knownone

Reaction score
I'm struggling to place us in the NFC. We're in the top 5, for sure, and probably the best in the division. Where they fall is anyone's guess.

The Niners seem destined to underperform. It's shocking how many media members are just penciling in Purdy as a top-tier starting QB when his sample size last season was small; many rookie QBs in similar situations regress, and he's coming off a significant injury. Everything indicates a step backward, and yet, almost everyone has them in their top 3.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
I cannot believe in Dallas - Pollard coming back from injury and Deuce Vaughn. What is that guy like 190 lbs? Dallas may be good - but I cannot buy that they are top 4. They just lose too many games they shouldn't and ............. Dak.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not trying to cop out, but it's so hard to know what teams look like until the games start. Every year we think we all know who's good, and it never shakes out that way.

I mean, look at us last year?

But before the bullets start flying? Those lists seem pretty accurate. I'd put us just behind the Niners, Eagles and Cowboys with the 2nd tier of NFC teams with the Lions, Saints and maybe the Vikings.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
Where do they stand? Usually on the sidelines I think, unless they're scoring more baskets than the other side. I'm not sure, it's a very complicated game.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'm struggling to place us in the NFC. We're in the top 5, for sure, and probably the best in the division. Where they fall is anyone's guess.

The Niners seem destined to underperform. It's shocking how many media members are just penciling in Purdy as a top-tier starting QB when his sample size last season was small; many rookie QBs in similar situations regress, and he's coming off a significant injury. Everything indicates a step backward, and yet, almost everyone has them in their top 3.
In agreement with you and for the reasons you stated. My guess is the
7th rounder comes out this season.

Hurts 2nd season as coordinator with
Basically a new defensive .

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think if they can field a top 4 offense in Points Scored, Possession, and Turnovers then the defense will be able to ball out how it wants it terms of being able to utilize and maximize thier strengths in pass rush mixes, piranha like hunger pursuit and gang tackling that puts the focal point in nullifying and punishing opposing skill players rather then trying to win and body up in the trenches (like the former defenses) and creating more opportunities and potential for defensive turnovers.

They aren’t going worst than 8th best unless they just have bad luck but they could also be as good as No. 1 with a good amount of injury or execution luck going their way. But with their schedule I’d say 3-5 is probably more legit in what is probably a weakening Division and weakened Conference.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
Seahawks have so many young players it will be hard to rate them until late in the season. Ratings and rankings are usually based on how the teams finished last year. I think SF and Dallas are overrated this year. We'll see.
Yes, youth is a big issue here. We have a lot of young talent, but history has shown that it's rare for rookies to shine in year one, and year two is still a learning year. We were lucky to have so many rookies have outstanding seasons last year, but this year is still an unknown. But I'd rather have a young ascending team than an older one with a lower upside.

Mick063

Reaction score
The Eagles are really stacked with talent, but there is already some salary discontent, and the talent gap isn't going to last forever. I think the Cowboy's Pollard is extremely underrated, but that is countered by Cee Dee Lamb being extremely overrated. Seattle will bottle up Lamb, but Pollard might have a field day.

I think the Panthers are assembling a good young roster.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
Yes, youth is a big issue here. We have a lot of young talent, but history has shown that it's rare for rookies to shine in year one, and year two is still a learning year. We were lucky to have so many rookies have outstanding seasons last year, but this year is still an unknown. But I'd rather have a young ascending team than an older one with a lower upside.
This. I want to say second but, with the way we keep games close and the inexperience we have, I’m going to play it safe and say 5th. Maybe 4th.

It probably sounds like I’m a glass half empty guy but, I truly believe our team is on the come up and will make it no less than to the second round of the playoffs. Honest opinion, I feel like we need to be a lot stronger up front on the D-line. We may be surprised this year though..

My biggest question is…do we have a window? How long is PC going to be around?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Philly
Dallas
Seattle
SF
Detroit
NY Giants
Minnesota
New Orleans
Atlanta
Chicago
TB
GB
Carolina
Washington
LA
Zona

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I really want to not believe in Dallas. But I put the Hawks 4th behind the Eagles, Niners and Cowboys

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Dan Orlovsky, ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback rated the top teams in the NFC this way. Agree? Disagree? Where would you place the Seahawks in the NFC hierarchy heading into the 2023 regular season?

Philadelphia Eagles
San Francisco 49ers
Dallas Cowboys
Detroit Lions
New Orleans Saints
Seattle Seahawks
New York Giants
Green Bay Packers

Out of those teams listed I would say:

Philadelphia Eagles
San Francisco 49ers
Detroit Lions
Seattle Seahawks
Dallas Cowboys
New York Giants
New Orleans Saints
Green Bay Packers
Heard this guy on the radio the other day. The second he claimed *allas was the 3rd best team in the NFC I changed the station. The ‘girls are the most over-rated team in NFL history.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Heard this guy on the radio the other day. The second he claimed *allas was the 3rd best team in the NFC I changed the station. The ‘girls are the most over-rated team in NFL history.
I'm with ya. Dallas is average if they're lucky. They can't win with the QB they have. Their defense is pretty sick.

bileever

Reaction score
Maybe you're right about Dallas not being the third best in the NFC. I think they have a solid roster, but they didn't really get better this off-season--Mazi Smith and Brandin Cooks aren't going to tear up the league. And the big question is how much will they miss Kellen Moore as OC? Is Brian Schottenheimer an improvement, with Mike McCarthy calling the plays? I also don't buy Tony Pollard as RB1 after his injury last year. Zeke isn't Zeke anymore, but they will still miss him.

Fade

Reaction score
Dak is a turnover machine, but Quinn has that defense hummin'. If they can run the ball and play defense, limit Dak. They are the #2 team. We'll see.

The Seahawks can be the #2 team with an average defense. They have an above average defense on paper, but I don't trust Hurtt after watching him fail to get the run fits right the whole of '22. Desai was in charge of the coverages, and Hurtt was in charge of the front 7, they were a disaster upfront not being able to stop the run with a buncha vet. run stuffers. Now those run stuffers are gone. They ran stunts/twists at a very low rate, didn't really blitz much either, and when they did blitz they showed their hand making it easy to pick up.

TLDR;
Seahawks defense good = contenders
Seahawks defense bad = same crap, different year. And I've run out of patience, I don't know about you.

The 49ers as the #2 are interesting. They are very top heavy, and a Brock Purdy injury away from missing the playoffs entirely. Now I know you can say that about any contending team's starting QB. The difference is Kyle schemes his QBs into injuries, he doesn't protect them. They have QB injuries every year, it's expected. Brock Purdy will decide if Kyle gets fired in the next 2 years after the Lance debacle. Purdy is the saving grace from having his head on a silver platter right now. The most overrated HC in the league, great OC though.

Everyone wants to crown the Eagles, and I get it. They were just in the Superbowl, and they got the young dual threat--hotshot QB. But there is a chink in their armor. Their coaching staff was pillaged, and all it takes is 1 bad coaching hire in the wrong spot to undo everything--knocking you down a few pegs. We've seen it in Seattle, losing Dan Quinn has held this org back for going on a decade, replaced by stooges. I think Desai isn't very good for the Eagles, we'll see. But yes, they should be the favorites to win the NFC.