Hi Everyone. From Kansas City

bobbybrown

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Chiefs fan here, and live in Kansas City. I'm just stopping by to say good luck and I hope we have a great game with no injuries. It should be a really good game with two good defenses and imo the two best RB's in the NFL. One of which is the strongest back I have seen since Earl, and the other boasts the NFL's highest YPC average in history. So stopping both of these guys is much easier said than done! I would expect a close low scoring affair, but knowing the NFL this could be a lopsided win for either team as well.

I saw you have a road trip thread going on and I wanted to help give some advice on that plus game day advice ect.

First off, for all of your bars I recommend Westport or the Power and light district. Westport is more in the historic district of town, (more dangerous as well) but there are numerous bars / restaurants and one of the best BBQ joints in KC called Q39 (GET THE RIBS OR BURNT ENDS)

If you decide not to go to westport I recommend Power and Light district. You can't miss it if you are trying to find it. It is in the center of down town right across the street from our hopeful landing spot of an NBA franchise at some point. Youll see it, the big space ship looking building covered in glass.

If you get BBQ, definantly go to Q39 in westport or Joe's Kansas City. Those are by far the 2 best options. Also RIbs and Burnt Ends at both places and you will be satisfied.

GAMEDAY- I recommend getting there EARLY as the tail gating is out of this world and getting in to the stadium lot has been a nightmare lately. I would recommend arriving at 8am, and really no later. Last game I attended I arrived at 9 am and it was a good 1 hour wait.

I also strongly encourage you to head for your seats a good 40 min in advance. With the new security in the NFL (at least our stadium) getting in can be a nightmare. If you wait until Arrowhead blows the horn / bell ect like 25 min before kick off you will definantly be late.

You might encounter the occasional douche bag, so don't hold that as your view point to our fan base. The most of us are extremely friendly.

You will be safe even if traveling and wearing seahawks gear by yourself. ( This is not a NY or Oakland game )

Make sure you are there for the national anthem to get a real feel for the stadium atmosphere.

Thats about it! If I see some of you walking around, I'll invite you over for some tailgating and beer fun!

Best of luck all.

pehawk

Reaction score
Thank you and welcome!

I went in 2006. I arrived at the Stadium at 7AM, and there was already plenty of things going on BBQ wise. Great fan base.

Questions, how good is KCs run defense? Is it just a stereotype Smith has a noodle arm? If you had to neck with any Seahawk who would it be and why?

For real, stick around. We need more opposing fans. All we have are 49er fans and they're just Raider fans without mascara.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I look forward to the KC fans being really really really loud, and then by about half way through the fourth quarter, completely silent (besides the sounds of footsteps heading towards the exits).

Welcome to the board and thanks for the tips! Should be a great game.

pehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":246xt1e6 said:
Is there a way to just get dropped off at the stadium? Like if I won't be parking but will be getting dropped off, is there a way to do that?

From what I remember the stadiums are in the middle of nowhere. It's just like that one movie, where Kevin Costner hears the voice of Darth Vader and builds a golf course in his wheat fields. Bull Cup or whatever. Just like that.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I am not travelling to KC to see the game but I appreciate the OP's post. Not too many fans out there that would actively seek out an opposing board and help them represent their team.

I second your comment that I hope we have a good, hard fought, injury-free game.

That ends in a Seahawks victory. Go Seahawks!

OP
OP
B

bobbybrown

Reaction score
pehawk":15k3h0eb said:
Thank you and welcome!

I went in 2006. I arrived at the Stadium at 7AM, and there was already plenty of things going on BBQ wise. Great fan base.

Questions, how good is KCs run defense? Is it just a stereotype Smith has a noodle arm? If you had to neck with any Seahawk who would it be and why?

I think he has a decent arm. I assume he gets that sterotype from never throwing deep except maybe a few times a game max. Really the only time I have ever seen him go deep was against the Colts in the playoffs last year and he looked really good. I think he's afraid to go deep and mess up because he has had so much scrutiny over his career. I guess he would rather play it safe and not lose the game on his errors (cutler).

Regarding our run defense, it's honestly average. Our best defensive player Derrick Johnson left week 1 with a season ending injury. We now have maybe 3 good run stuffers in Eric Berry, Justin Houston (when he's not blitzing) and Dontari Poe. But, none of that really matters when you have the superbowl champs coming to town, every one plays up, so I'm not sure what will happen. I'm guessing two of our records get broke Sunday. We will finally give up a rushing TD to Lynch, and we will finally get a pass TD to one of our WR's lol.

To your last question.... Earl Thomas no questions asked ;) Back when I watched College football I always watched Texas, and liked him ever since then. Half the people here before the draft wanted ET, the other half berry. Actually in 2010, we were choosing between 3 players. Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, and Okung. You landed the other 2! Though I wish we had taken ET, I am still satisfied with Berry. He doesn't excel in coverage, but is very good at run stopping.

OP
OP
B

bobbybrown

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":48w0xq6t said:
Is there a way to just get dropped off at the stadium? Like if I won't be parking but will be getting dropped off, is there a way to do that?

Yeah, I do that often actually. You can get a cab and have them drop you off. Though you won't have chairs, or beers, or food! I suppose you can meet up with people inside!

**EDIT** It is about a 10 min cab from down town. So probably wouldn't cost you over $15.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Classy post! Welcome to .net!

While I can't lie and wish you good luck and mean it, I will say thanks for the info, I hope no injuries to either team, and a great game! Looks like we both need the W so should be a good game!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice post. I have to admit, I am more nervous about this game than any other game so far. KC is tough this year.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
welcome to .net.... are there any kool places to go near the stadium, our hotel is right next to it... or are we going to be reduced to hotel bar :)

OP
OP
B

bobbybrown

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":4t35xi82 said:
welcome to .net.... are there any kool places to go near the stadium, our hotel is right next to it... or are we going to be reduced to hotel bar :)

Hey,

if you have kids and you are staying at the hotel that has the indoor water park, they may enjoy that. It's a little crazy though with hundreds of kids running around. Other than that, you are in a suburb of Kansas City, and the nastiest suburb at that. Your best bet is just renting a car or taking a cab downtown to do some things. You are just 10 min tops from the down town area. But calling for windchills in the low teen's to possibly even single digits on Saturday night, so a lot of the out door bars ect. may be kind of empty.

From your area, take i-70 west to downtown, exit at broadway, go right, and take your 2nd right to get to the new Power and Light district with tons of bars, with different themes (Mexican, 80's, Rock, Sports, also a very cool bowling alley)

Exit at broadway and go left, until you get to the Westport area (5ish miles), with tons of bars / and bbq (Q39) - This will probably be the most crowded option and (weather dependent)

Exit at broadway and go left until you hit the Plaza. This is the "fancy" area, similar to Michigan ave. in Chicago if that is your thing, with upscale restaurants, shops, bars ect.

If none of those fancy you, your probably stuck in your hotel until game day!

Calling for 50% chance of snow saturday and 30% chance for kickoff on sunday.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":257tmxw9 said:
Thanks for the nice post. I have to admit, I am more nervous about this game than any other game so far. KC is tough this year.

KC is a game that most even in the offseason probably penciled as a L on the schedule, not so much lack of faith in the team, but more respect to the Chiefs and Arrowhead.

I do believe the Hawks despite all that's going on can win this game, but don't get me wrong, if they pull it off, it's going to be a "steal on the road"

ivotuk

Reaction score
Classy post and only reaffirms all I've heard about the great KC Chiefs fans.

I've visited family in KC and really enjoyed the WWI tour as well as the recovered Riverboat tour. I wanted to get to the Air Museum but never made it. One thing I really enjoyed were some of the old buildings in downtown KC. But hated the winding roads and overpasses with 85mph exits. I missed so many when driving around KC.

Watch out for deer! I was down there in February and notice quite a few dead ones along the highway. *thump*

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Great post man, welcome to .net. Feel free to stick around for at least the week and more if you feel so inclined, nice to have good fans here.

Quick q, Berry just come back in the last week or two from injury right, how close to game shape has he looked? Asking from both a Seahawk and Fantasy Football IDP owner perspective, hoping to start him this week! :)

vtxretro02

Reaction score
Lifetime Hawks fan from Seattle but transplanted in Kansas for the last 18 years.. every time the hawks come to KC I go to the game and we lose.... so this year... Im stayin in Wichita ... which guarantees a HAWKS WIN.. Arrowhead is the best place to watch a game other than the CLINK of course. GO HAWKS!

THE GUY ISN'T LYING ABOUT TAILGATING IN KC... IT REALLY IS THE BEST PLACE TO TAILGATE BAR NONE.. NOTHING LIKE YAGER SHOTS AND BEER BONGS AT 9AM WITH THICK BBQ SMOKE FILLING THE AIR... IT'S GOING TO BE A GREAT GAME!!!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Bobby Brown...?The name sounds familiar. This conjures memories of listening to Frank Zappa.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
To the OP.

Thank you. I will be there, and will use your suggestions.

My wife and I are not afraid to walk a bit to escape the worst of leaving the parking lots. What would you suggest for us?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Welcome to .NET. Great post.
If I was going to the game, I would rush to the best BBQ joint in town. I have always wanted to try world famous KC BBQ. I have friends that have and they say it is amazing. It's on my bucket list. :)